What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2GB News at 6.30am

Magpie Nick

Juniors
Not sure about of your facts here, teams don't have voluntary "down periods"? Before the parra game, hadn't we just won 5 or so games straight, we were also on a high? BM played a fair bit of the season at 7, with no success? BM is a ball runner that is unpredicable (that's his strength). At 7 you need to direct the attack as first receiver, he is not suited to that, they tried, but it didn't work, I think you need someone who can direct us around the park (plus utilise BM when required, but not every play) with some pace in attack & defence when required. TM offers this in spades. He may not ever make a SOO as a 7?? but he did get us going, look at the records. When he moved back to FB for the last few games we crashed, I am still mystified that we had a chance to get into the top 8 & we changed our winning halfs combination just when we needed them most.

If you don't think that teams try to peak and allow for periods during the season where they don't do as well then you're an idiot. No team can or tries to be at the top of their game for the whole season.

An old style 7 needs to direct the play as first receiver. Not the style we play. It's plainly obvious that we play our Havles left and right. Benji plays left. There's none of this first and second receiver crap anymore, very few teams play like this.

Moltzen's move back to Fullback coincided with losing for a few reasons. Other teams were peaking for the finals; we had Moltzen playing Fullback (he's scared to attack the ball, has poor positioning etc. etc); and we had Lui playing Half.

There is absolutely no difference between Benji wearing 6 or 7 apart from the fact that he might feed the scrum at bit more from 7. You can't tell me that his form wasn't up to scratch because he was feeding the scrum.

DanOz

Juniors
If you don't think that teams try to peak and allow for periods during the season where they don't do as well then you're an idiot.

How old are you??? Calling someone an idiot because they dont agree with you smacks of primary school.

I must be an idiot because I would like to believe they try and win every game...

Magpie Nick

Juniors
How old are you??? Calling someone an idiot because they dont agree with you smacks of primary school.

I must be an idiot because I would like to believe they try and win every game...

There's a difference between calling someone an idiot because they don't agree with me and calling them and idiot because they've got no idea what they're talking about.

Teams would try and win every game, but ALL teams periodise their season. It's how modern sport works. You cannot stay at the top of your game for such a long time in such an intense competition. It's just not possible.

Magpies_74

Juniors
There's a difference between calling someone an idiot because they don't agree with me and calling them and idiot because they've got no idea what they're talking about.

Teams would try and win every game, but ALL teams periodise their season. It's how modern sport works. You cannot stay at the top of your game for such a long time in such an intense competition. It's just not possible.

The most successful teams and I mean Win a Premiership in most cases are the teams that win games when they are in these periods of, for want of a better term, form slump......

Of course you want to Peak at the end of the season or you end up like the Dragons or Dogs of '09...

Martinplace

Juniors
The most successful teams and I mean Win a Premiership in most cases are the teams that win games when they are in these periods of, for want of a better term, form slump......

Of course you want to Peak at the end of the season or you end up like the Dragons or Dogs of '09...

So its a "form slump" now, not a "down period", & this is planned before the semis? Where did you get this stuff from? If you look back at your comments, you have made some strange arguments, that IMO do not have any basis.

"the team started winning during the part of the season where every other team has their down period before building up again before the finals." are you serious?

"Media pressure on the rest of the team and perceived view that we were playing sh*t because Marshall was at 7." perceived??? Were you watching our games, he was playing sh*t, imo because he got too much ball?

"As soon as we hit a team that was on a high we got done", so Parra were on a high & perhaps peaked too early by not winning the GF? BTW, what were we on, hadn't we just won 5 in a row?

"we had Moltzen playing Fullback (he's scared to attack the ball, has poor positioning etc. etc); and we had Lui playing Half." What game has he shown he is scared to do anything in defence or attack? I think the Lui bit is my point (he wasn't ready) & a major reason, based on what we now know, why we didn't make the semis?

"Teams would try and win every game, but ALL teams periodise their season" What do you mean by "periodise" (that's not even a word?) are they trying to win or not?

"There's none of this first and second receiver crap anymore, very few teams play like this" Which is it, they do or they don't? Perhaps we should go back to it? We have failed the last 4 seasons. I think we would be using it if BM had left & not Scott Prince?

"Of course you want to Peak at the end of the season or you end up like the Dragons or Dogs of '09... " From memory any of the last 3 games would have got us in the top 8? I would prefer scraping in to top 8 then coming 9th anytime. BTW, I would rather have had the dragons or the dogs results than ours last year? I don't know if you have ever played sport, but semi's are different, when you are in them anything is possible. If the WT players (or anyone else) is not up for that, then they will never be up for anything?

How do your theories explain an undefeated season then? Did there plans fail because they didn't have a down period or a form slump?

The facts are the facts, when TM was at 7 we won every game, we needed 1 win from the last 3 to get in the semis, he should have at least been tried FCS. When BM was there it didn't work, I think simply his game is not suited to a organised team game (though I wouldn't swap him for anyone). Which was my original point.

I do agree that with Farrah we are different, but mostly the 7 will get the ball from the 9 unless he (Farrah) goes himself or if BM calls for it, but IMO, BM is more effective with some space. We do play BM in the front line of attack, but again, I believe this is because he wants to be there (you don't restrict this type of player), it also confuses the defence or they have a planned move, but when he was at 7 he got the ball too much & we were predictable, one of our strengths is, we are not predictable.

There is plenty of opinion in these threads that say we need a good 7 to help us? I am not saying Moltzen is that player, but he made a pretty good job of it while he was there, so he would do me until we find someone better? I wouldn't try BM at 7 again would you?

Lastly some advice. While I appreciate your opinions & feed back, using cheaps shots does make your argument any stronger. If anything, it only makes you look the fool, which I am sure you are not. We are all entitled to our opinions.

westie

Bench
Didn't Bellamy talk about this at the end of last season? Saying they were backing off to peak for the main game instead of going off too early like the season before when they were dead in the water by the GF?

westie

Bench
I can briefly remember two times Moltzen was scared to get involved - correct me if i'm wrong on the player - during at least one game my judgement was slightly off.

The first he just didn't attack a short kick and someone strolled in (wasn't this the Parra game?)

The other I'll never get over. Coming in for a kick return, get to the line, stops, flops it out the back to Tuiaki at the last minute who has no momentum and no chance. Gets bent over. Game over, Season over... and now... 2010 might be over too before it's even begun. At least Hodgo had balls.

Magpies_74

Juniors
Lastly some advice. While I appreciate your opinions & feed back, using cheaps shots does make your argument any stronger. If anything, it only makes you look the fool, which I am sure you are not. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Martin I think you better look at who your replying to...My response was to Magpie Nick,not your dribble.