What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2GB News Villasanti

kingtigers

Juniors
Scott Prince did not have one of his better games. what do you expect when he signs for another club at the beginning of the season (year went down hill from there). what incentative does he have to perform considering other club options when marshall is injured.

Iafeta

Referee
innsaneink said:
We might get to see what hes got tomorrow nite, named on a 5 man bench for the sharks V melbourne.

Rumours are crap ay?
Got proof?

Post-Ashes tour, both Shane Webcke and Darren Lockyer came out in the media to say the stories were false and Villasanti was made to look guilty as he was somewhat of an outsider in the group. They claim any stolen goods came from persons from outside the tour party.

Villa if nothing else was terrific to us fans over in Auckland off field from the times I got to "groupie" around him.

Iafeta

Referee
innsaneink said:
Everyone pointed the finger at Villa....did he prove his innocence?

Did he have to?

I get the feeling Richard didn't really care about the innuendo.

Iafeta

Referee
colonel_123 said:
Re: providing proof to dispel the rumours, I recall a newspaper article recently claiming that new evidence had emerged that cleared the un-named player said to be responsible for the thefts on the 2003 tour.

I also recall this.

Look, Villa was stuck over in New Zealand post tour, it was hardly mentioned over there, and I don't think he really cared either way. He didn't consciously come out to deny any rumours because I just don't think he cared for them.

Iafeta

Referee
Willow said:
Why does it even have to be a player? There would have load of people coming and going, some of whom had nothing to do with the team.

Fair dinkum, some folks just want to gossip for the sake of it.

Which was the jist of Webcke and Lockyer's comments from memory... that the culprit had nothing to do with the team.

From all reports of those in the know with a bit of experience, Villa seemed to be made a scapegoat as he was a loner.

Final point on whether the Tigers should sign Villa - his form has been ordinary since 2003. He really has hit a brick wall in his career. In that regard, if you're looking for a no nonsense hard hitting defensive forward I'd be looking no further than Nigel Plum who has a magnificent tackle technique.

I think all league fans who haven't speculated and second guessed what may or may not have happened would love to see a return to the "Gorilla", I just don't see it happening any time soon. That said, his efforts particularly in 2003 to galvanise the pack into a feared force that was a couple of dropped balls off beating Penrith, and IMO, would have beaten the Chookies in the GF, were outstanding. If he could rekindle that form, he'd be the best buy of any club for 2007.

Slappy

Juniors
Iafeta said:
Post-Ashes tour, both Shane Webcke and Darren Lockyer came out in the media to say the stories were false and Villasanti was made to look guilty as he was somewhat of an outsider in the group. They claim any stolen goods came from persons from outside the tour party.

Villa if nothing else was terrific to us fans over in Auckland off field from the times I got to "groupie" around him.

It is bloody criminal the way these lousy rumours spread. It is a damned shame how an unsubstantiated slur can have such drastic repercussions on a person. I believe Lockyer, Webcke and Kearns, and commend them on voicing this to the media, but that sook Waterhouse took it upon himself to keep pointing the finger at Villa. I hope the bastard was reprimanded for his baseless accusations.

innsaneink

Referee
The innuendo surrounding him still remains today.....only the other day a popular league commentator on a radio program, talking about the roo tour thief stated something along the lines of, "the villian has never been caught" overyly emphasising the word 'villian'.
I'd never heard these other stories absolving him until now.

Slappy

Juniors
innsaneink said:
The innuendo surrounding him still remains today.....only the other day a popular league commentator on a radio program, talking about the roo tour thief stated something along the lines of, "the villian has never been caught" overyly emphasising the word 'villian'.
I'd never heard these other stories absolving him until now.

that is pretty low coming from a commentator. I really feel sorry for Villasanti. In my opinion, everybody cares about what people think of them (of course to varying extents), and the fact that this had become such an issue amongst the whole RL community, it is no wonder he hasn't played with as much enthusiasm since.
I have heard that he always wanted to return to Wests, and if this is true and he does come back, then it could be a fresh start for him. Geez if he could regain the form he was in before his test selection, then it would be well worth it.

Ubsy

Juniors
I thought he had already signed also, but just read he has signed for another year at the Sharks.
I thought it would be a risk anyway. He hasn't exactly showed the type of form that warrants being chased, unless he was very cheap.