What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2KY & The Big Sports Breakfast

Das Gupta

Juniors
Yeah I have noticed more AFL content on the show lately. More than the usual token guest.

They are still pushing the AFL barrow when they don't have a guest on. Laurie talks if he knows a great deal about the game then changes the subject 30 seconds later.
TK still got his head up a horse's arse. He knows nothing other than Horse speak.

I got to say the show ain't much and I have found this year to be poorer than usual.

Whino

Bench
Anxious executives at Sky Sports Radio on Monday when the latest survey revealed the Big Sports Breakfast ratings had plummeted by more than 50 per cent to an all-time low of 0.3. It’s a tough gig in the same timeslot as Alan Jones and Kyle & Jackie 0 but no excuse for rating that badly, especially with such a talent as Laurie Daley as co-host.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/ef4b9c9783ceedc261bb64892506d152

Incorrect

Coach
Anxious executives at Sky Sports Radio on Monday when the latest survey revealed the Big Sports Breakfast ratings had plummeted by more than 50 per cent to an all-time low of 0.3. It’s a tough gig in the same timeslot as Alan Jones and Kyle & Jackie 0 but no excuse for rating that badly, especially with such a talent as Laurie Daley as co-host.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/ef4b9c9783ceedc261bb64892506d152

More bad news for Daley in his post footy ventures... Helluva footy player and seems like a genuinely nice fella but geez most things he turns his hand to seem to go smelly after a while....

Whino

Bench
when did this happen?

Today.

Big Sports Breakfast shake-up as host walks

Sky Sports Radio dropped a bombshell on Thursday with long-serving Big Sports Breakfast host Terry Kennedy stepping aside.

Kennedy made the announcement on-air alongside regular co-host and rugby league great Laurie Daley.

His last day behind the microphone will be Friday, when he will farewell the show after 18 years at the helm.
There have been rumblings around the show’s future for months. At one point the Big Sports Breakfast’s radio ratings had slumped to just 0.3.

Ironically, in the most recent survey Sky Sports Radio registered a rise of 0.5, taking its ratings to 1.6, ahead of rival station Macquarie Sports Radio on 1.3.

While Kennedy was adamant it was his decision to move on, station insiders have told The Daily Telegraph that management had been discussing the veteran host’s position for some time.

“After 18 long years, I can’t believe it, 18 years I’ve done the program, I’ve decided to get the alarm clock and hurl it straight out the window,” Kennedy told listeners.

“It’s been fantastic but just thinking ‘I’ve had enough. It’s time for me to move on’. I’ve achieved so many things that I wanted with the program and time for everybody to move on.”

Discussions have already turned to who could replace Kennedy in the early morning slot, with weekend host Jimmy Smith an early contender.

Kennedy started on the show in 2003 with Richard Freedman and enjoyed immediate success, before being paired up with former Test cricketer Michael Slater in 2008.

Daley joined the breakfast program two years ago, shortly after finishing up as NSW Origin coach.

“I enjoyed it so much. I mean who doesn’t want to talk about sport for a living?” Kennedy said, despite describing the early morning alarm as a “dagger through the heart”.

c77696a71121111d1fb883281d954716

Big Sports Breakfast hosts Richard Freedman and Terry Kennedy in the early 2000s.
“It’s an absolute privilege and pleasure and it’s been that way the entire time.

It comes after The Daily Telegraph columnist Phil Rothfield last December predicted the station would have some big decisions to make around the show’s future after it had fallen behind Macquarie Sports Radio’s breakfast show, hosted by Mark Levy and former NRL player Mark Riddell.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...o/news-story/3b44a85205b70937e78436b483255f0f

Generalzod

Immortal
When did the Big Sports breakfast gave a rats about the ratings, I heard years ago they never use to particiapte in the radio rating as management never trusted it....So I guess they do now. As for the Macquarie Sport Radio, 2ue Lifestyle had better ratings...The Irony the bloke who wanted to see Cronulla kicked out of the competition has been given the flick.

Last edited:

Tiger5150

Bench
They are still pushing the AFL barrow when they don't have a guest on. Laurie talks if he knows a great deal about the game then changes the subject 30 seconds later..

Laurie played AFL. AFL has a massive footprint all through the Riverina, always has. I had relatives down there when I was a kid and I would say that AFL was played by more kids than League. Union used to be big there too (lots of private and boarding schools).

Brutus

Referee
Is it still on?

I like the Brisbane show better with Salty, McCoy snd Sawtell.

No dumb talkback callers and way less ads.

They talk about sport at times from a betting perspective which I like.

Gerard Daffy is a classic when on with those lads.

Listeners can still interact via text and SMS.

Last edited:

Whino

Bench
Former Aussie cricket captain Michael Clarke is tipped to co-host Sky Sports Radio program Big Sports Breakfast alongside Laurie Daley.

According to The Tele, the deal is set to be finalised this week, with Clarke replacing broadcaster Terry Kenney (TK) who departed the role after 18 years. At the time, a statement released by Sky Sports Radio said breakfast radio had taken a toll on TK’s lifestyle.

Though the show has struggled in the ratings, figures did appear to be on the up last year as the show beat its rival Macquarie Sports Radio (which is now defunct).

Sky Sports Radio is a commercial radio station based in Sydney, broadcasting throughout New South Wales and Canberra on a network of over 140 narrowcast transmitters, as well as the main 1017 AM frequency in Sydney.

Own by Sky Racing, Sky Sports also broadcasts live commentary of thoroughbred, harness and greyhound racing. Over 1,500 races are covered each week, including the pre and post race form and TAB betting information.

An experienced presenter, Clarke hasn’t worked in the media since Nine lost the cricket rights to Fox and Seven two years ago.

https://www.bandt.com.au/michael-clarke-tipped-to-host-big-sports-radio-alongside-laurie-daley/

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Former Aussie cricket captain Michael Clarke is tipped to co-host Sky Sports Radio program Big Sports Breakfast alongside Laurie Daley.

According to The Tele, the deal is set to be finalised this week, with Clarke replacing broadcaster Terry Kenney (TK) who departed the role after 18 years. At the time, a statement released by Sky Sports Radio said breakfast radio had taken a toll on TK’s lifestyle.

Though the show has struggled in the ratings, figures did appear to be on the up last year as the show beat its rival Macquarie Sports Radio (which is now defunct).

Sky Sports Radio is a commercial radio station based in Sydney, broadcasting throughout New South Wales and Canberra on a network of over 140 narrowcast transmitters, as well as the main 1017 AM frequency in Sydney.

Own by Sky Racing, Sky Sports also broadcasts live commentary of thoroughbred, harness and greyhound racing. Over 1,500 races are covered each week, including the pre and post race form and TAB betting information.

An experienced presenter, Clarke hasn’t worked in the media since Nine lost the cricket rights to Fox and Seven two years ago.

https://www.bandt.com.au/michael-clarke-tipped-to-host-big-sports-radio-alongside-laurie-daley/

Well looks like I'm not listening to the BSB on my way to work anymore.

Latest posts