What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Chappell/Hadlee Trophy Match :: AUS v NZ @ MCG

Aus v NZ 2nd ODI Result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Batman Returns

Juniors
Baffles me how Cameron White continues to get picked....what for again??

Warner and Hussey D need a spell.

I think White & D Hussey are still there because the selectors have invested heavily in them at the top level. But you have to say that it is not an investment that is paying off. Neither of them look comfortable at this level. Australia needs to bring in superior players from the domestic comp, and Ponting needs to give up the resting & get back out there. Australian cricket does not need to continue losing like this. You have important tours coming up & continuing to lose here & now will end in total loss of morale. As a Kiwi I don't mind but Australia need to stop the rot here & now before things get worse. The skipper (& Australia's premier batsman) needs to come back at Sydney. It's time to take off the kid gloves & get serious.

Hurriflatch

Referee
David Warner looks like going down in history as one of the greatest one hit wonders in Australian cricket.

Hurriflatch

Referee
his innings was still the highest in the game... you take his 98 out of that total and they could have been in bigger trouble...

If you take out the 138 balls Clarke took to get that 98 then others had more time to actually hit the F***ing thing rather then Clarke's I must get my 100 screw the game thinking.

Hurriflatch

Referee
All over

IMO we lost it with the Hussey drop, and the seven or eight minutes of bowling that followed it...

Australia lost the match as soon as Warner, The Husseys and Hilfenhaus were selected.

James Hopes amd Nathan Bracken are the only players who deserve to keep their spot for game 3

Clarke and M.Hussey may have scored runs but were too slow and Hussey also dropped a catch at a vital stage.
The rest of the team were just sh*t from ball 1 to Elliot's final boundry

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think its absolutely ridiculous not picking a recognised opener to replace Marsh. I mean yes Clarke did pretty good, but he's better off batting at 4. We were so used to scoring quick runs at the start with Gilchrist and Hayden, and now theyre both gone, we always lose the first wicket early.

Not saying he's an ordinary batsman, I just think Clarke plays it safe in ODI's much like a S Waugh or Bevan type. He's definately not an opener. You need an opener who get the runs as quickly as they can.

And why is Ferguson in the side if he's batting so far down the order.

The selectors have lost the plot, if they think White is still good enough. I mean he cant bat, he hardly bowls why pick him. As David Hussey, he's been sh*tt with the bat, and even worse with the ball. We couldve been up 2-0 if he didnt bowl.

mozza91

Coach
Australia lost the match as soon as Warner, The Husseys and Hilfenhaus were selected.

James Hopes amd Nathan Bracken are the only players who deserve to keep their spot for game 3

Clarke and M.Hussey may have scored runs but were too slow and Hussey also dropped a catch at a vital stage.
The rest of the team were just sh*t from ball 1 to Elliot's final boundry
It's not Hussey and Clarke's fault the top order can't bat they couldn't play with any freedom because they had to steady the ship and get us a respectable total.
I agree that Warner,Dussey,White Hilfy have to go

eddiesmith

Juniors
It's not Hussey and Clarke's fault the top order can't bat they couldn't play with any freedom because they had to steady the ship and get us a respectable total.
I agree that Warner,Dussey,White Hilfy have to go
But the problem was after they had steadied for 35 overs they never tried to pick up the pace despite plenty of batting left to see out the final overs, hell they didnt even take a risk during the batting powerplay

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
We lost because Clarke and Hussey were intent on building an innings for the whole f**king innings - only ONE guy needs to play the anchor role. A team needs a minimum of 250 to be competitive. We really miss the quality hitters like Gilchrist, Hayden and Symonds.

The likes of Warner, Haddin, White and D Hussey can't do the job.

I don't think you can really blame Michael Hussey and Clarke for thinking along those lines consdering how bad they've been playing

beads6

First Grade
The Kiwis have certainly turned up to play here in Australia. They are missing a few of there better players to with Ryder and Oram out injured.. Vettori is captaining very well also the Kiwis are playing smart cricket and following all the plans they have made. Well done to them they are rebuilding well and handing the Aussies there Arse's on a plate.

Getting owned by the kiwi's...how humiliating :x
Selectors :arrow:

we really aren't that bad, up until recently we were #3 in the world. We've always been an underperforming test team, but as a one day unit we are very competitive.

We are missing a few of our best; Oram, Bond, Styris and Ryder - but the new guys coming in are good prospects and a sign of the improvements in the nz youth programme and bolstering of the A schedule.

While Elliot is an honest toiler with a level head, Broom, Southee and Guptil have long futures in black.

When you then add in the guys who haven't made it into the team due to their age and lack of experience - Williamson, Boult, Anderson, Worker etc, NZ will be very a tough ODI outfit to beat.

This series though seems to be a cripple fight, two teams going through a very harsh transition period.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I agree you guys are not that bad

I think we are still coming to grips with not winning all the time

Iafeta

Referee
I agree you guys are not that bad

I think we are still coming to grips with not winning all the time

At ODI cricket we're fairly good. It's test cricket where we struggle. We have bowlers who can contain well but no real innings wreckers as such. Mills and Vettori are both manful tidy bowlers, but they don't have massive bags of test wickets per test.

It's summed up in Vettori's own captaincy record, 26 wins, 11 losses in ODIs. That's a very fine record. In test cricket though, he has 4 wins, 8 losses and 4 draws.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he had a good teacher

I think he has learned well from the jedi master

he is a good skipper I reckon