What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ODI: England v Australia at Lords Sept 6, 2009

Ridders

Coach
Gotta say i love watching Mitch bat. The guy is such a sweet striker of the ball. His destructive cameo was the difference between the two teams imo. That last partnership between Collingwood and Anderson was painful to watch, probably a good thing that it ended not too long after.

Watson's place in the test team might still be up in the air but he will be key player for our ODI team, especially if he can produce performances similar to this. In saying that I'm still worried as to whether his body can hold up in the long-run if he is playing as an all-rounder for both our ODI and Test side.

Last edited:

aussies1st

Staff member
Watson's place in the test team might still be up in the air but he will be key player for our ODI team, especially if he can produce performances similar to this. In saying that I'm still worried as to whether his body can hold up in the long-run if he is playing as an all-rounder for both our ODI and Test side.

Thats the selectors problem now, they will get the usual "I told you so" if he goes down injured.

Bigfella

Coach
The batting is a little frustrating atm, but the conditions are very different over there. Winning scores are a lot lower than in Aus or SA. We seem to have played that reasonably cleverly.

Pommie commentators have been gloating ridiculously. It's 2-0 and they have been dancing on our grave most of the matches.

In the first one England lost their ninth wicket needing 12 an over and nasser conceded "Australia are now on top". England had been gone for 10 overs.

Johnson showed a lot more intent and intelligence than most of the batsmen. targeted the right hitting zones, was inventive, ran really hard. Looks about 3000% more confident a cricketer than the first few tests.

Hopes down the order is very ineffective. The only time I have seen him make his mark in short form is opening the batting. I'd like to see him given a go.

I think Warner should come in, but start as a floater or lower order hitter. As a few people have said, we lack guys who can find another gear.

Give him the power plays FFS? We seem to handle them atrociously. Get him some time in the middle with a view to him opening long term.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think Hughes might not be a bad option opening either

But we are winning I guess, though be interesting to see how we go against india, I think we play them in 7 ODI over there in October/November I think?. We will need faster opening stands over there I reckon

TheParraboy

Staff member
Didnt realise Punter was coming back

Hell no way, bring him back at no3 if he is raring to go.

Maybe give Hussey/Clarke the rest of the series off? White at 4?

aussies1st

Staff member
White needs to find the balance between not getting out and scoring fast. As right now hes too slow for my liking, the first game he was alright but still slow by his standards and this game he was going as slow as Clarke did in the first game. He should be getting use to the number 5 spot for mind, Ferguson would be good at 4 but they won't move wonderboy so he drops to 6 as our finisher. Hussey 7.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Watching Lee bowl in the last couple of ODI games shows what we missed in the test matches

I know its easy with hindsight but he really is bowling well and he could have made a very big difference

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
If Australia win the next game should Ponting just stay home for the rest of the series and leave Cam White at #3?

No.

Australia should be aiming to win this series as much as possible and not trying to scramble a 4-3. While I dont think they will there goal should effectively be 7-0 to at least sort of take some of the demons away from the Ashes.

While i know it wont happen by any means, its what they need to look at.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Didnt realise Punter was coming back

Hell no way, bring him back at no3 if he is raring to go.

Maybe give Hussey/Clarke the rest of the series off? White at 4?
Hussey should have the rest of his career off, he will not be around for the next WC time to pension hin off now.

Latest posts