What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ODI: England v Australia at Lords Sept 6, 2009

aussies1st

Staff member
Sadly this is the new generation of Aussie cricket, we no longer can expect those blitzing starts.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Sadly this is the new generation of Aussie cricket, we no longer can expect those blitzing starts.

Its dissapointing. When you take out Haddin from this side, with the exception of White there is absolutely no firepower in this team, from openers right through to the middle order.

The problem these days is it seems like we are aiming for 250. Ive seen numerous starts in the last year where weve got to 1-100 or somthing, only to try and calm the innings and settle with 250-260, while in years gone by wed try and bat the team out of the match in that circumstance. Guys like Michael Clarke for all the hype is a very average one day player and he really fails to genuingly take attacks apart. Guys like Paine etc.... well I dont even no how there in there.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Sunshine tries to smash the last ball of the powerplay and gets out, lol

1/61 - 15 overs

They really need to persist withh Warner as opener in ODI

African Monkey

First Grade
I seriously think you guys should look at putting Johnson in the opening position. This Tim Paine looks like he can't hit the ball off the square. I may be wrong but from my first look at him, he looks very slow.

Or even bring in Dave Warner. At least he can hit the ball.

aussies1st

Staff member
Paine has always been slow, he had a SR of 60 in the FRC. But opener is his best spot, any lower and he becomes Michael Clarke mk2

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Nah i disagree hes not good enough to open and given Johnson , Lee and Hauritz are at 8 9 and 10 id be happy for Hopes to open for example and have Johnson 7, Paine 8 , Lee 9 and just have him in to keep

African Monkey

First Grade
The worst thing to do is to get out as well. Scoring 26 off 45 balls is worse than a duck in one day cricket

aussies1st

Staff member
Nah i disagree hes not good enough to open and given Johnson , Lee and Hauritz are at 8 9 and 10 id be happy for Hopes to open for example and have Johnson 7, Paine 8 , Lee 9 and just have him in to keep

Possibly but he does open for Tassie and scored a 100 against Pakistan A as opener. He just needs to stay out there as Haddin also had a very slow strike rate in one of his games as opener but he managed to up the rate as his innings progressed which is what Paine did against Pakistan A.

aussies1st

Staff member
Johnson is actually hitting the ball well in an ODI for once! I did state it earlier in the season it could be worth getting him up the order, we seriously need another hitter.

Another well made 50 by Ferguson

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Johnson is actually hitting the ball well in an ODI for once! I did state it earlier in the season it could be worth getting him up the order, we seriously need another hitter.

Another well made 50 by Ferguson

Be no harm playing him as a floater around the 20th innings onwards and when a wicket falls letting him play himself in for 4-5 overs and then taking the powerplay.

If he gets out its hardly wasting him as 19/20 times in odi innings he doesnt get a chance

beads6

First Grade
I think Watson can hit he is just going out to bat with a poor mindset. Same with Paine he can score quicker it just seems neither of them are trying to score quickly. Johnson finally scored some runs in an ODI. Decent enough score if we take some early wickets.

aussies1st

Staff member
Johnson and Lee with the strike. Sucks that Lee loses this reverse swinging ball.

Latest posts