What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ODI: New Zealand v Australia at Wellington on Feb 6, 2016

blaza88z

Coach
Our performance relies on Guptill, McCullum, Williamson, Boult and Henry. Maybe Santner a little bit. We're definitely carrying some dead weight- Elliott, Milne, Ronchi, Anderson

He has been huge for you guys with the bat, if he gets out cheaply in either game I can easily see you guys posting 30-40 runs less.. tonight his bowling was big too, a couple of big scalps

Meth

Staff member
He has been huge for you guys with the bat, if he gets out cheaply in either game I can easily see you guys posting 30-40 runs less.. tonight his bowling was big too, a couple of big scalps

yeah, he had a good game today. I am a fan. Others want some convincing. He's definitely playing all over Elliott and Anderson

Meth

Staff member
Great catch to dismiss Wade Milne...but the bowling has been abysmal

blaza88z

Coach
Hastings is a gem, probably not as gifted as some of the other guys going around (mainly injured) but he gives it everything he has got

chigurh

I really like Hastings. He'd make my full strength ODI side before Marsh.

Maxwell and Wade should be forced to watch his innings with their eyes held open Clockwork Orange style.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Great win by Australia here , unexpected

Who would have thought MMarsh and Hasting save the day and end up being an easy win

Makes an exciting 3rd game

vvvrulz

Coach
Caught the rest of it now, it really confirms lots of lessons from the recent ODIs

Crafting a proper ODI innings, only Williamson and to a much lesser extent Elliott know how (or at least try) to do it. Remove the slogs and the rest simply have no idea how to work the ones and twos, Ronchi and Anderson are particularly appalling at this esp since both for once had time out there to settle in.

We have a very solid tail which 50% of the time will wag for us and save us (like today).
Had someone like Starc been around, we'd have been cleaned up for < 250

Bowling is fodder other than Henry, Santner was very good today.
The rest, if played sensibly, won't take wickets.
Boult has lost it, I hope not for good.

Aussies perspective, replacing Darsh with a real batsman has done wonders, I expect Khawaja to kick on and cement his opening spot for good now. Hastings and Marsh very good with bat and ball.

Should be a classic decider coming up.

vvvrulz

Coach
I will note this also, wtf is going on with these bats and outfields.

The boundaries at the Cake Tin are relatively less mickey mouse, but we saw chips, miscues, top edges, and even just normal good cover drives sail over for six. Warner, Khawaja and Kane would gently nudge it from the middle along the ground, and if it got through the in-field it just motored away to the fence.

At least 50 runs today wouldn't have existed in the 90s, and several shots would have been dismissals.

Found it very annoying.

Meth

Staff member
The more I think about it, the more I admire the innings from Hastings. If he goes out cheaply, we have a debutant out there and then we are well into the tail. Hastings held his nerve and played some genuine cricket shots- something that Maxwell and Wade couldn't do. Bravo

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The Mighty Duke showed that moron Maxderp how to build an innings.

The less said about that useless Eddie Scissorhands the better, it defies belief how he is continually an option for Australia.

JJ

Immortal
Lot to like about Hastings

NZ need to wake the f**k up, should have won that

WTF is Billy doing, dick to busy sucking up to Aussies to do his job

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Gee Baikey is the ultimate flat track bully, belts the bowlers to all parts on our highways but he is clueless against the moving ball.

Good to see those big levers of MMarsh do the job, always been a fan but started to go a bit cold on him lately. He has talent he just has to be more consistent. Hasting seems to have cemented a spot here too.

I tend to think we still have too many all rounders who cant bat or ball, inr in Wade's case cant keep. Maxwell is not an all rounder, his bowling has been garbage and his batting isn't much better, can bat but not consistent.

Happy to see zampa get a few more games, Lyon is not an ODI bowler and Zampa went OK

vvvrulz

Coach
Maxwell is nothing special
He goes all Afridi sometimes but he an atrocious technique and judgement
Wouldn't have made the C grade of the 2000s

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Gee Baikey is the ultimate flat track bully, belts the bowlers to all parts on our highways but he is clueless against the moving ball.

Good to see those big levers of MMarsh do the job, always been a fan but started to go a bit cold on him lately. He has talent he just has to be more consistent. Hasting seems to have cemented a spot here too.

I tend to think we still have too many all rounders who cant bat or ball, inr in Wade's case cant keep. Maxwell is not an all rounder, his bowling has been garbage and his batting isn't much better, can bat but not consistent.

Happy to see zampa get a few more games, Lyon is not an ODI bowler and Zampa went OK

NZ are going the same way with Elliott, Anderson, Santer etc

The influence of T20 I think. It doesn't make a massive difference giving a lesser bowler 1 or 2 overs to break it up as they're all getting pasted anyway so they stack the batting a fair bit more.

It doesn't always extend into ODI's. Guys who aren't really good enough as either batsmen or bowlers alone to justify their spot have their uses for sure, but you leave yourself open if the middle/lower order are stacked with them.

Good to see Uzi justify his selection. I think Warner benefited from having a partner who can score as rapidly as he. Smith, Bails and Maxderp were all disappointing. I'd rather Maxwell be told his bowling is not required anymore. Wade's continued selection is Marcus Northesque. The Duke and Marsh Jnr both had great games with the ball and bat and Zampa had a good start, agree that he offers more than Lyon in ODI so I'd like to see selectors persist with him and show a bit of faith.

Hastings has been the big improver for mine. A year or two ago he was absolute piss and offered nothing.