What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Semi-Final - Australia v India at Sydney Mar 26 2015

undertaker

Coach
The cult and influence of Dhoni/BCCI continues to live on

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/bcci-give-in-to-dhonis-pitch-for-a-turner-529922.html

BCCI give in to Dhoni's pitch for a turner

The Motera Test was slow, getting wickets was difficult and the manner in which the match unfolded left a bad taste in Mahendra Singh Dhoni's mouth. And the Indian skipper has never been one to mince words.
In the post-match conference, he let the whole world know what he felt pitches in India should do: “Hopefully in the coming matches, we will see the wicket turn right from start, or as soon as possible,” Dhoni said. “There wasn’t enough turn and bounce for the spinners in Motera. Our fast bowlers bowled really well. They gave us the breakthrough when it was really needed. When we chased 77, there was nothing for the spinners and it became slightly better to bat against the pacers.”
And in appears that the message has been well received by the Board of Control for Cricket in India. The board has asked state associations hosting the remaining three Tests and the two T20s — starting with Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) — to prepare rank turners.
BCCI has given in to Dhoni's demand. APBCCI has given in to Dhoni's demand. AP
“We have asked the curators to cooperate with whatever demands the Indian captain has regarding the pitches for the Tests and T20s against England,” a BCCI official told The Indian Express. Curators of two venues confirmed that they had received instructions from the board.
At a certain level, India are justified in asking for turning tracks. Playing 'away' from home means battling not only the weather and crowd but also the different pitch conditions. It is because of these very factors that winning 'away' is always regarded as the true test of a team's ability.
And England would have had no illusions about the treatment that they were going to get. But to blatantly ask state associations to doctor pitches is a bit too much.
If MCA officials are to be believed, Alastair Cook & Co will play on a Wankhede pitch that will probably have more bite than they can handle.
“In comparison to Motera, where the pitch was slow, the spinners will not only get a lot of turn here, they will also benefit from added bounce,” an official told Indian Express.
Mumbai has traditionally been a track that has good bounce and support for the pacemen. Of course, we have seen the odd match end in two and a half days (2004, India vs Australia) but on the whole, it has remained a good, sporting wicket.
Yesterday, Steve Waugh had come out and criticised Dhoni.
"You want to be aggressive and be the best in the world, you got to take all the conditions and not always ask for the conditions that suits your style of play. I was a bit surprised with that. I think if you are looking to be the best in the world you got to learn to play in all conditions," said Steve Waugh.
However, Dhoni's plan of action will surely see other team's retaliate in kind. And that's when the trouble for India will begin -- remember what happened in New Zealand? Are they prepared for the backlash? That reality is a fair bit away from coming to fruition but it will happen.
And then, perhaps, the smile on Dhoni's face won't be as wide.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2012/content/story/594177.html

The BCCI has asked Ashish Bhowmick, a member of its ground and pitches committee, to assist Prabir Mukherjee, the groundsman at Eden Gardens, in preparing the pitch for the third Test against England, which begins in Kolkata on December 5. It seems a routine move, part of BCCI's policy of getting one of the committee members to oversee the preparation of Test pitches, but it has been the focus of speculation, considering MS Dhoni's continued demands for pitches that turn from day one

Last edited:

Tigers1986

Juniors
I'd love to eliminate India and send them packing back home on their pretentious, arrogant horses but I think they'll *bribe* niggle their way to a victory and take the cup.

Would love to see NZ vs Australia but it's not going to happen :/

vvvrulz

Coach
Pitch and weather
Already used for the quarter-final between South Africa and Sri Lanka and at the end of a long season, the surface for the match will be more to India's liking than Australia's. Heavy rolling of a strip that sports very little live grass is geared at making it as hard and bouncy as possible, but it is unlikely to offer the sort of steep bounce and lateral movement Australia's pacemen are seeking. The possibility of spin is more intriguing, as of all spinners only the legbreaks of Imran Tahir have deviated significantly all tournament. The weather forecast is fine.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/854989.html

Well there you go really.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Doesn't matter if its a turner or if the crowd is 70% Indian,we have won heaps of one dayers in India over the years on bigger turners that what this will be and in crazier atmosphere's that what this game will be.

No excuses if we lose this game.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Doesn't matter if its a turner or if the crowd is 70% Indian,we have won heaps of one dayers in India over the years on bigger turners that what this will be and in crazier atmosphere's that what this game will be.

No excuses if we lose this game.

word

undertaker

Coach
im pretty sure ganguly instructed the curators to "prepare" decks to suit india as well

And look what happened when he didn't get his way and there was a slight tinge of green in the decisive test of the 2004 test series in India? He pulled out 'injured' at the last minute (more like, injured from a bruised ego):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDzfWEhuLCw

And whilst you mentioned Ganguly, how about his attempted cheating at the toss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4183JgtIwo

:lol:

TheParraboy

Staff member

undertaker

Coach
A bit of an interesting story behind the only ever green-top in India from Adam Gilchrist's book

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indvaus2008/content/story/376280.html

Ganguly, India's captain during the 2004 series, pulled out on the morning of the Test complaining of pain in the groin, while Harbhajan missed the game after contracting flu. Gilchrist, who was leading Australia in the series in place of the injured Ricky Ponting, wrote that there was speculation that Ganguly skipped the match because of the grassy pitch.

"There was speculation that Sourav Ganguly was quarrelling with the head of cricket in Nagpur and a rumour that a spicy pitch might be prepared out of spite or revenge against the captain,"
Gilchrist wrote in his book True Colours. "When I got to the middle, Ganguly was not there. [Rahul] Dravid was in his blazer, ready for the toss. 'Where's Sourav,' I said. "Rahul couldn't answer definitively; between the lines I perceived that Sourav might have pulled out from fear of losing a home series."

At the start of the third Test in Nagpur, Australia were leading the four-match series 1-0.

Of Harbhajan, Gilchrist wrote that he was out of the Test "with a 'flu', which he seemed to have contracted when he saw the grassy wicket". "...I still don't know to this day what was wrong with Ganguly and Harbhajan."

:lol:You can clearly see from Dravid's response in the interview at the toss that he himself knew the groin-injury excuse was B.S.

Also, love this comment on the YouTube video I posted of Ganguly at the toss with Tugga Waugh

The first 30 seconds sums up everything we know about sub-continent cricket.

Disputed catches, not walking etc are rarely clear cut in terms of cheating, but this is the most black and white, blatant attempt at cheating ever seen!

Love Tugga's reaction - shakes his head ("here we go again, f**k this bloke is a cheat"), yet he says nothing in the interview. A man of true class and leadership....god I miss him...sniff......

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I read on the internet somewhere (so take this as you will) that Indian wickets for first class cricket are quite green. Hence why plodders like Kumer can take wickets but gets slaughtered on flatter test pitches that require a bit of pace.

JJ

Immortal
I read on the internet somewhere (so take this as you will) that Indian wickets for first class cricket are quite green. Hence why plodders like Kumer can take wickets but gets slaughtered on flatter test pitches that require a bit of pace.

Certainly that was NZ's issue for a long time - people just had to land a ball on a length and it would do all sorts of things

Latest posts