What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test Aust vs England @ Adelaide Oval

aussies1st

Staff member
Punter seemed like he was going after overtaking England's total and watching them collapse. That would be our best chance of winning the game.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Agreed, but very unlikely IMO. This is still a belter of a batting wicket. Heck Clarke looks good on this wicket!

The Colonel

Immortal
Tommy Smith said:
Well done Hoggard. The only bowler to take a wicket today and surely the most underrated in world cricket.

Clark and Hoggard have done amazingly well from a pitch that has offered SFA up to this point. There may be something in it for the spinners today and tomorrow though.

Someone needs to take a long hard look at themselves in regard to the preparation of this pitch. When bowlers are sending them down between 140 and 150 and they drop at the keepers feet there is something rather wrong.

yobbo84

Coach
simon says said:
I dont think Oz needs that many runs.....tomorrow is day four.If we get to the follow on,England will have to make a declaration of sorts if they want to win it.

If we bat till lunch tomorrow its gonna be interesting......someone will have to declare at some stage or its gonna limp out to a draw IMO.....unless there is a bundle of wickets taken.

I'd try race to 450 by Lunch, declare 100 runs behind... England will then bat out the day and about 30 mins tomorrow and set Australia about 350 to win. I'd then send out Gilly and Hayden to open, and give them free-reign to go apesh*t and go for the total. If we lose a couple of quick wickets then guys like Ponting, Langer and Hussey can bat out the day for a draw. Good plan :D

yobbo84

Coach
Twizzle said:
good plan, but maybe Langer and Gilly would be a better option

I said Hayden because I'd trust Langer over Hayden to save a test match any day of the week.

JJ

Immortal
If the English are sensible then they'd not leave any chance of an Australian win...

Australia's bowling performance, Warne's in particular, suggests all they have on their mind is a draw, and quite frankly for Warne of anyone else to suggest that England should give them the smallest sniff after that ridiculous performance is beyond belief...

The Colonel

Immortal
JJ said:
Australia's bowling performance, Warne's in particular, suggests all they have on their mind is a draw, and quite frankly for Warne of anyone else to suggest that England should give them the smallest sniff after that ridiculous performance is beyond belief...

Outside of Warne's efforts I didn't think McGrath and Lee bowled too conservatively. Clark kept hitting the same spot pushing for the wicket and they eventually came. When they are sending them down at 140-150 and Gilchrist is catching them below his waist in some instances the pitch hasn't offered much outside of when the ball is new.

lockyno1

Post Whore
yobbo84 said:
I'd try race to 450 by Lunch, declare 100 runs behind... England will then bat out the day and about 30 mins tomorrow and set Australia about 350 to win. I'd then send out Gilly and Hayden to open, and give them free-reign to go apesh*t and go for the total. If we lose a couple of quick wickets then guys like Ponting, Langer and Hussey can bat out the day for a draw. Good plan :D

Hell no. Our best bet is to try and get 700, and try and bowl them out for 120 or 130 on the last day to win the test. No way will England give us a chance to win it by setting us under 300. To do that they would have to bat till lunch on Day 5. Will not happen!

skeepe

Immortal
Well by your logic he failed. Clarke made a 50, you said that was a failure, therefore Hauritz failed also.

simon says

First Grade
JJ said:
and quite frankly for Warne of anyone else to suggest that England should give them the smallest sniff after that ridiculous performance is beyond belief...

Man you have a chip and a half......

Englands best chance to win was always going to be in Adelaide......they have to try and do something IMO.

They are down 1-0 and do have a chance to win.......IMO they have to go for it and declare.

PS.........If Collingwood and Pieterson had got on with it we wouldnt be talking about this.....you can blame the Aussies all you like,but constantly padding up to balls on leg stump when you have a ton is,well.........soft.

JJ

Immortal
simon says said:
PS.........If Collingwood and Pieterson had got on with it we wouldnt be talking about this.....you can blame the Aussies all you like,but constantly padding up to balls on leg stump when you have a ton is,well.........soft.

First - Collingwood did get on with it

Second - I'd suggest that the "greatest leg-spinner of all time" resorting to bowling 3 feet outside leg stump to young batsmen just out of his first year of test cricket is soft.... Pieterson played him exactly how he should have , the fact that Warne didn't change his bowling suggests one of
a) he has a learning deficit
b) he is scared of bowling to Pieterson (he went over the wicket to Collingwood)
c) it was some form of petulant chilish protest at the wicket.

Latest posts