What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 Today

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Is all this Maloney picking part of the ongoing pisstake from last year? The bloke is a mug. Absolutely clueless on attack, when we try to spread the ball we're better of with the ball in Packer or Rapira's hands than his. Overlap killer from way back.

All I'll say is that Inu is a cert for at least a point both last week and this week, and for some reason no-one is picking him?

Iafeta

Referee
I'd say James' first 50 minutes were poor. Diabolically poor. The last 30 minutes I thought he went well.

3 Lillyman - it all starts up front, went great
2 Fisiiahi - this guy is a gun
1 Inu - great talent, but blew a try

hitman82

Bench
3 - Fish
2 - Inu
1 - Maloney

...there ya go. Inu was great again today, same as last week. Should have had a double, and made some awesome runs along with his 180+ metres.

Maloney is the best half we have, and he's a damn solid all-round player.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Is all this Maloney picking part of the ongoing pisstake from last year? The bloke is a mug. Absolutely clueless on attack, when we try to spread the ball we're better of with the ball in Packer or Rapira's hands than his. Overlap killer from way back.

All I'll say is that Inu is a cert for at least a point both last week and this week, and for some reason no-one is picking him?

I'd say attitude has a lot to do with it. Even if he goes average, he looks like he's busting both nuts to get 2 points.

I'm being too harsh on Inu, he deserved at least a point.

And I've read a bit of stuff on the Sharks sub-forum - if they think they lost the game because it was in Taupo they're having a laugh. If they'd held onto the ball and played smarter they'd be 3-1.

blain

Juniors
Cant believe Maloney is getting so much credit.. His first 40 minutes were absolute mud. Tackling was shocking.

3 Fish, great game
2 Brown, looked dangerous the whole time. Love seeing him smashing people on attack
1 Inu, elusive all day

Was pulling my hair out after 45 minutes, but showed some positive signs towards the end, and the points is all that matters!

ozbash

Referee
Cant believe Maloney is getting so much credit.. His first 40 minutes were absolute mud. Tackling was shocking.

His first 40 were considerably better than Seemores last 240.

and he was out of position.

3 Fish
2 Inu
1 Mannering

Great game but dont think the mix was right with Locke on the bench. Im not sold on Mateo at 6 either. Great having Ta'ai back, wasnt happy with Inu signing but hes got that touch of class and can make things happen he had a good game. Great to see Fish score a couple, bring in Mara!

blain

Juniors
Thats hardly saying much sadly. I dont think he was in our top ten of players tbh

devoid

Juniors
3 - Mannering
2 - Brown
1 - Fisiiahi

I should put in a mention for our pack, especially Lillypad; they did the job today.

Martli

Coach
Yeah I didn't rate Maloney's game either. But he's still decent, just a poor game.

What were people's thoughts on Mateo at 6? I didn't think he was horrible, but pushed a few too many offloads. It's also great to have Ta'ai back in the team.

Iafeta

Referee
I liked Mateo at 6. He looked like he was keen to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and try stuff. Finally someone cottoned on that they should support him up the middle, and a play later Inu scores. I think you give them 4-5 matches with that combo, because I seriously think Fish could have a field day running off Feleti. A couple of times he pushed it too much though. I liked his passing skills before the line, some nice wide passing to get the fringes into the action.

hitman82

Bench
Yeah I dig Mateo at 6 - Sione Faumuina style of game. Passed well and seemed to know when to run, though not ALWAYS when to offload. Loved his self-face-palming haha.

One other thing I liked having him and Mannering shifted - it meant effectively having 2 extra second rowers (ie big dudes) in defense.

Constraint

Juniors
3 - Mannering - excellent work especially defensively all game.
2 - Fish - recovered from his horror debut much better than I'd have guessed.
1 - Inu - so good to see him actually have a go again.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
3 Mannering
2 Fish
1 Brown

Heremaia the only dud, seriously, two forward passes from dummy half? Thats schoolboy stuff from a hooker. Bring in Mara.

Warmess

Juniors
What were people's thoughts on Mateo at 6? I didn't think he was horrible, but pushed a few too many offloads.

Yeah. I think he was trying too hard to make that special play happen. Now that we have the win hopefully he can start to settle into the 6 and pop up when he knows it's on, instead of pushing the pass every time he got his hands on it.

devoid

Juniors
Was happy with Feleti's intent this week, the same as I was last. Like others around here, I thought he overplayed it a little, but it was great seeing him want to create. Eventually I think this could be the go though:

7. Johnson
6. Maloney

13. Mateo

There are going to be games when we need more than one guy controlling the game, and pushing the boys around the park - I don't see Mateo as that guy longterm. Hopefully SJohnson comes on.

Ta'ai proved he needs to be in the mix - when he was off the park, not many were running direct enough, and he sure puts sting in to his tackles. His discipline needs work, but he has a fantastic workrate, and is truly destructive. The mix felt better today.