What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 v Broncos

It's explained on http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=421493

It's a piss-take. Anyone who thinks the sign maker was that geniused at English to mistakenly write the past-tense of 'go,' is, well, geniused.

Guess they should have just stuck to Let's Go Warriors...

There are claims the NE has been added to GO since we were going (or goning?) So badly. But only the sign holder can't tell you that.
Maybe it was a way to get on TV? like having a mullet and no teeth at a Knights home game.

TheDMC

Bench
Where exactly is it explained in that thread? it just doesnt make sense???

Charlie 124: I assume its a bit of a tongue in cheek joke from a desperate fan of a team running last. The "NE" look like its new so I think the sign originally read "let's go warriors" and he has amended it after recent form and ladder position.

MKEB...

Staff member
I understand that it was changed from go to gone after Packer was caught on the big screen neutralising the Jellyfish sting from his thigh and the (grass around him)

Meth

Staff member
I can't see any possible explanation for 'let's gone Warriors' that makes it clever or 'sophisticated'.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Just got round to finally watching the game (working last night)

3 - Mateo
2 - Locke
1 - Leuluai (special mention to Mats and Lillyman though)

Matulino still only playing 35 mins. How good could we be if he were on for 50-55 or so. It's obvious that Elliot sees him as an impact/interchange prop. But why?

One Warrior

Bench
3. Mateo
2. Locke
1. Matulino

Honourable mentions to Manu, Johnson, Lillyman, Leuluai.
Great win, was still nervous at halftime, long time since we have put a performance like that together, reminded me of last time we destroyed the Broncos in Brisbane in 2011, Locke running round Lockyer etc.

TheDMC

Bench
I can't see any possible explanation for 'let's gone Warriors' that makes it clever or 'sophisticated'.

Its not particularly clever nor sophisticated, just mildly amusing.

Don't interpret everything you read so literally...

Jeepers Meth, are you on your period or something?

Meth

Staff member
Its not particularly clever nor sophisticated, just mildly amusing.

Don't interpret everything you read so literally...

Jeepers Meth, are you on your period or something?

No. You hinted at some sort of method behind this fulla's geniusation. I am just curious to see what you see. And I can't.

Blair

Coach
No. You hinted at some sort of method behind this fulla's geniusation. I am just curious to see what you see. And I can't.

After being confused on the night I now get the explanation that it originally read 'Lets go Warriors' and was changed to 'Lets gone Warriors' after we started to get pumped.

However, we were killing the Broncos at the time, so why the change?

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Yeah, I still don't understand any sensible rationale for the change.

Blair

Coach
From the great Wikipedia site that records Warriors games and results:

"1996 Optus Cup - Round 1 vs Brisbane Broncos, won by forfeit, Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre."

What was this all about again? From memory it was something to do with Super League and the court decision in March 1996 that kept the ARL competition intact for that year. The Broncos didn't front up in protest or something.

List_of_New_Zealand_Warriors_results

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
IIRC, the clubs who signed with Super League (including Brisbane and the Auckland Warriors) basically were going to forfeit round 1 in unison. At least, for the Warriors, the members of the club who had Super League contracts (the coach, the playing roster) were standing down. IIRC, the club itself basically had a team drawn of local club players ready to front up against the Broncos, and thus technically didn't forfeit.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Kevin Locke, NZs best fullback today, Will end up the greatest ever.

I understand rating Locke but I just don't see how this is going to happen Angry.

Locke is 24, in his 5th season of first grade and still not a consistent performer, nor even the first-choice Kiwis fullback.

I think he certainly has plenty of ability but nothing to set him apart from a number of other fullbacks out there.

Locke is going to really have to find a gear I'm not sure he has to justify this prediction.

TheDMC

Bench
After being confused on the night I now get the explanation that it originally read 'Lets go Warriors' and was changed to 'Lets gone Warriors' after we started to get pumped.

However, we were killing the Broncos at the time, so why the change?

Also, Packer's got form with the weeing hasn't he? He had one on the sideline a while back, no? If it wasn't him it was another Warrior.

I dont think it changed on the night, it was either a real sign from previous games or pretend version of an early season sign that did/would of said 'let's go warriors' and adapted to reflect that our season hopes have long gone....

Possibly they are just illiterate, but i like to give people the benefit of the doubt...

Either way I no longer care and regret having posted on this.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I understand rating Locke but I just don't see how this is going to happen Angry.

Locke is 24, in his 5th season of first grade and still not a consistent performer, nor even the first-choice Kiwis fullback.

I think he certainly has plenty of ability but nothing to set him apart from a number of other fullbacks out there.

Locke is going to really have to find a gear I'm not sure he has to justify this prediction.

He's been dogged by injury for the last two seasons, basically ever since he got bent around that goalpost scoring his hat-trick against Easts. I think if he has and injury-free, settled season we'll see what he's really capable of.

Cold Roses

Juniors
He's been dogged by injury for the last two seasons, basically ever since he got bent around that goalpost scoring his hat-trick against Easts. I think if he has and injury-free, settled season we'll see what he's really capable of.

I'm hoping this is the case as well. I was surprised to notice from the game stats during the broadcast that he's only played 77 first grade games. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

I'm not sure that's true- the injury you referred to was in 2010 and Locke's best season by far was 2011.

I do agree that he seemed hampered last year, but then he seems ok at the moment.

I like Locke as a player when he's on song, I'm just not convinced he's really "special" in the grand scheme of things.