What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3,2,1 v Broncos

3 - Mannering - He tackled himself into the ground.
2 - Neilson - Good all round game.
1 - Hurrell - Just for that try. He really didn't do much else all game, good or bad.

Aragorn

First Grade
3. Hurrell got us home - for that alone, he deserves the points.
2. Fish - should have been @ FB - Locke looked rusty and his positional play (esp when the Broncos were kicking) wasnt great
1. Mannering - a couple of missed tackles but otherwise, solid as a rock

hon. mention - Lillyman & Matulino - both aggressive, made good yards, and bent the D line

disappointing - Johnson - did he once take on the line on attack? just a ball distributor and kicker with the odd dummy pass that fools no-one...

bring on those bunnies!

NZ Warrior

First Grade
3 - Mannering: Monster game!
2 - Friend: Monster amount of work!
1 - Hurrell: Monster try!

Hon. Mentions to Lillyman and Matulino, for once again laying the platform. Also to Leuluia, for getting involved.

Hope Manu's injury isn't too serious. Still don't know who our #1 fullback is???

Penrose11

Juniors
3. Mannering - Led by example. Enough said.

2. Fish - Always looked like he was on his game snd showed great cover D helping out Locke at the back.

1. TL - Really stepping up week after week and showed again today.

First time I've pickef them to win this year and they've gone onto win. F'n loving it!!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
3- Mannering
2- Lilyman
1- Hurrell

Ugly, flat win, the timing and energy weren't quite there. BUT, we still won, and thats the sign of a good team, winning ugly.

Interesting to note that Matulino was only our 3rd best prop in metres gained, but still cranked out 147- huge games from Rapira and Lilyman, who must've just about played his way into an origin jersey, Neilsen can't be far off either.

Re Locke vs Fish, I thought they were both good- Locke's only major spill wasn't his fault, Johnson pretty much cleaned him out trying to block the attackers.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
tbf to Hurrell, apart from the try he made one other tremendous linebreak which was really crucial. It was when we were right under the pump shortly after Manu went off and I think it was 3rd tackle and we were about 3 metres from our own line. I'm pretty sure it was straight after Neilsen had actually run backwards on second tackle. Was a big moment even though we didn't end up capitalising.

3: Lillyman, great meters and hits in defense as well as 5 line breaks
2: Mannering, loved the hits on Wallace..
1: Hurrell, just for try to get us home.

Solid team effort, Johnson only real stand out sub par performance.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Great game, living in Sydney and having to watch the delayed telecast (2 hours delayed!!!) was sh*t.

Thought Mannering was an absolute beast where has that performance been all year?

3. Mannering

2. Leuleuai

1. Lillyman

On a side note I can't see lowrie being of any real value for us. Really wish I could but I can't.

Bring on the bunnies.

Micistm

Bench
Mannering-Lillyman-Hurrell

Was pleasing to see Mannering VERY vocal to the team just after Hurrells try. Have not seen that before and good to see..

Hope Manus injury is not bad

One Warrior

Bench
3. Mannering
2. Lillyman
1. Hurrell

Another great win, good to see we can now win the ugly close games, Elliott has 5 wins in a row for the first time in his coaching career, now for the toughest test yet, Bunnies in Perth, Bring it on.

Rich102

Staff member
3. Mannering
2. Leuluai
1. Hurrell

I thought is was a good game. Great completion rates. 2nd half I thought the Bronco's were getting on top till the Hurrellcane stepped up.
Really proud of the boys.

I thought Matagi went well to start. Surprised he didn't get a shot in the second half.

Taylor was really strong again. Can't we give Lowrie to the Panthers instead.

Izz

Bench
3. Hurrell -- thought he had a monster game. Apart from the intercept, made a crucial line break to get us out of trouble, did lots of tough hit-ups and some good defensive work because when he was on Johnson's side Johnson was defending like a wet tissue a lot of the time.
2. Lillyman
1. Mannering -- put some real sting into his tackles today

Hon mentions pretty much everybody. Johnson had a pretty poor game but he did try to make up for all his mistakes.

Thought Locke was pretty good, tbh, first game back from injury. Disappointed Matagi didn't get another stint. I like Friend running the ball more. Creates some doubt in the defense and gives the first receiver more time.

Lowrie is ineffective in defense and attack.

Meth

Staff member
A guy who hasn't got much of a mention is Manu. A try, with a key play bringing the ball back under the posts, and a try assist. And we looked like a mess when he went off.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I like Friend running the ball more. Creates some doubt in the defense and gives the first receiver more time.

Jeez I don't

I guess he needs to run sometimes to create doubt as you say, but when he does run, even if it's into a yawning gap, you know he's not going to crack the line given his lack of speed/strength/evasion. I guess kudos to him for picking his moments, but whenever he makes a good run I can't help but think that any other hooker in the comp would've made a better one.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
A guy who hasn't got much of a mention is Manu. A try, with a key play bringing the ball back under the posts, and a try assist. And we looked like a mess when he went off.

yep

I reckon if he had stayed on for the last half hour he probably would've been getting points even if he'd done bugger all. Since his absence is so conspicuous everyone is acutely aware that he missed a chunk of the game and hence can't get points.

Izz

Bench
I very nearly gave him points. It was hard choosing only 3 this week.

Also, i'm stoked we've finally won one where we didn't look like the better team. I've gotten so used to us looking like the better team for 7/8ths of the game, only to lose, so it's nice for us to snatch one for a change. I've watched a few Donkeys games this season, and i reckon that's the best they've played all year.

Last edited:

Izz

Bench
Jeez I don't

I guess he needs to run sometimes to create doubt as you say, but when he does run, even if it's into a yawning gap, you know he's not going to crack the line given his lack of speed/strength/evasion. I guess kudos to him for picking his moments, but whenever he makes a good run I can't help but think that any other hooker in the comp would've made a better one.
Yeah, all true. But still better than knowing he's going to pass it every play. :D

Aragorn

First Grade
points to manu? not sure about that - he still managed to fumble and drop a couple of balls in his hit ups - luckily they went backwards. In addition, he was caught out a few times in the grubber kicks that were put behind him....

no doubt hes solid where you would expect him to be, but f**k me, he's still weak in certain facits of his game that you would expect some improvement on.

Latest posts