What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 v Sharks

GoSouths

Juniors
I agree with you, but also Sup. He means (I think) that we haven't played that sort of dominant free-flowing round robin footy since the Anderson days. In Ivan's tenure, we never towelled up the 3rd placed team - we might've beaten them, but generally was a grind.

Incidentally, I think I saw a stat that said the Tigers have beaten more top 8 sides this year than the Sharks. Ouch.
Its hard to compare different eras. Rule changes, quality of teams etc, Interchange rules, Bunker changes etc, Coaching and Front office staff, depth of squad, untimely injuries, all impact a teams season. Theres no denying that the Warriors are in a rich vein of form with some of these recent scorelines. They have also been slowly but surely eliminating the coach-killer plays that the Warriors became famous for in recent years. They look like a good team! Best since Ivans peak teams for sure. When he had that 4 prop rotation in full swing, we looked hard to handle back then too.

Benek

Juniors
3. Berry - not because I thought he was best on field, but it was the breakout game we've been waiting for him to have for a long time.

2. SJ - what we expect from him this year. Controlled the game, engaged the line, great passing and try assists. The 40/20 was a big moment. Tackled well all night including a try saver.

1. Walker - the first receiver role he takes when he comes on really amps up our offence.

HM:

Egan - I don't know if I'd trade him for any other hooker at the moment. He's really in a groove.

AFB - What a big motor.

Metcalf - looked dangerous in support all night.

Barnett, CNK, and many others were great too.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Its hard to compare different eras. Rule changes, quality of teams etc, Interchange rules, Bunker changes etc, Coaching and Front office staff, depth of squad, untimely injuries, all impact a teams season. Theres no denying that the Warriors are in a rich vein of form with some of these recent scorelines. They have also been slowly but surely eliminating the coach-killer plays that the Warriors became famous for in recent years. They look like a good team! Best since Ivans peak teams for sure. When he had that 4 prop rotation in full swing, we looked hard to handle back then too.
Yeah it's impossible to compare eras, but it gives us forum nuffies little woodies and keeps us talking, so it's OK I reckon.

Meth

Staff member
The other thing to say is that I was worried about we'd contain Talakai. I know the game has kind of figured him out a bit, but he's a menacing looking dude and I think I suspected Berry might struggle to contain him. Evidently, it was the reverse. Berry used Talakai's size against him.

Rich102

Staff member
So much to like about this team.
Only thing that can stop us is injuries.
Didn't give him points, but gee Metcalf is developing quickly. Looks good with attack both sides of the field.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Metcalf, Barnett and in the last couple of weeks Berry have really solved issues that we‘d identified with our roster. If Leiataua can develop into a consistent first grade centre and Ale continues to develop i think we’ll have a genuine premiership quality side.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The other thing to say is that I was worried about we'd contain Talakai. I know the game has kind of figured him out a bit, but he's a menacing looking dude and I think I suspected Berry might struggle to contain him. Evidently, it was the reverse. Berry used Talakai's size against him.
Berry is bigger than he looks, he’s 191cm tall and around 100kg, he just looks skinny because of his hight. Leiataua is almost as tall and heavier so they’ve got the potential to create a pretty deadly combination.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
3. Addin
2. Johnson
1. Egan

A bit boring, I know. But those three are having outstanding seasons. I'd have Harris there too, but he was kind of rested yesterday, so he can have a rest here too!

Blair

Coach
My old man just loves Fonua-Blake. A real enforcer, he says, which is true, and 'you watch the opposition, everytime he goes into a tackle with the ball, they make sure they're doing nothing wrong, knowing he'll come after them if they do!'

I had this in mind when I watched the replay of yesterday's game. The old man was spot on! I actually got the giggles watching those Cronulla 'tough guys' do everything above board when big Addin was coming at them!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
My old man just loves Fonua-Blake. A real enforcer, he says, which is true, and 'you watch the opposition, everytime he goes into a tackle with the ball, they make sure they're doing nothing wrong, knowing he'll come after them if they do!'

I had this in mind when I watched the replay of yesterday's game. The old man was spot on! I actually got the giggles watching those Cronulla 'tough guys' do everything above board when big Addin was coming at them!
Haven't we been crying out for this for so long!?! It's so good. What a great piece of business AFB was.

Mind you, how many players can we say were good pieces of business in this side now? It's worth remembering there were questions over AFB's off field behaviour, CNK's slide at the Raiders, DWZ a $900k liability at the Dogs, SJ being past it, Barnett being a loose hothead, Egan had no significant raps, and even Walker I don't know if we knew who we were getting.

I've poopooed management in the past (and a good coach absolves all, ask Wayne Scurrah) but you have to doff your cap to where Robinson and George have got this club to.

Meth

Staff member
Congratulations Addin Fonua Blake

Fonua Blake 33
Johnson 30
Berry 26

Egan 15
Walker 6
Metcalf 3
Barnett 1

19 voted

vvvrulz

Coach
Was at the game, wow!!

FWIW I'd have handed some points to Walker, honestly it's quite insane how much we click into gear the moment he's on the field. He's going to be instrumental in our run to the finals.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Was at the game, wow!!

FWIW I'd have handed some points to Walker, honestly it's quite insane how much we click into gear the moment he's on the field. He's going to be instrumental in our run to the finals.
I've been insanely impressed with Walker. Geez he brings intensity and pace to the middle when he comes on. It's like 'tired defences hate him for this one simple move'