What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 vs Storm

Micistm

Bench
Refs taking the easy way out, they know it will be shit storm if they make a certain call against certain teams. In other words its easy to be kicked when your down. Parra know what I'm talking about.

I agree, I haven't felt there was an anti Warriors thing in calls as such, as other teams get stiffed on a regular basis too. The Sharks are the first that spring to mind, and Eels of course when they were struggling.
What I think is that there are 3-4 utter Darlings of team who get the 50/50 calls pretty much most of the time. Unsure what you can do about it, unless a few in the NRL have the balls to face a fine and throw that into the media, it might embarrass the officiating to reverse for a little while.

Micistm

Bench
I loved Elliott's post-match comment when they were talking about referees.

Journo (talking about referee errors): "Is it anything personal against the Warriors? Or it's just unlucky that it's happened to you guys three weeks in a row?"

Elliott: "You should ask the referees boss, he's an ex-Warriors coach. Ask him how he felt about it. I reckon that's the best way to direct that question."

:clap:

Elliott is certainly light years ahead of Bluey in that regard!:)

Abdullah

Juniors
Performance of refs this year has been the worst in NRL memory...How did anderson ever get the job? ...and then justin Morgan??...hah..and timid little mouse Perinara....what a joke maate.

Iafeta

Referee
Again, I cannot believe Morgan is entitled to be involved in the refereeing of a match when just 5-6 months ago he was rumoured to have been interviewed for the head coaches role. There's a clear possibility of conflict of interest or ill feeling.

TheDMC

Bench
What gets me is that the video ref can't rule on a forward pass because the camera angles & lens can supposedly be misleading, so why the hell should he able overrule the touchie on that call? At least the horizontal lines on the field are more or less parallel with the direction of a pass. Not the case with a long distance kick.

Yep, how on earth could the video referee overturn the touch judge's call from that TV angle, which offered absolutely no basis for making any decision. Touch judge was in a much better position. Video referee should be fired for that, complete incompetence.

Iafeta

Referee
It was Steve Clark (this bloke has always been grossly incompetent and a glory hound capable of pulling something like that out of his jacksie), and Justin Morgan, who I've already suggested should not be involved in a Warriors or Raiders match due to obvious potential conflicts of interest. I would suggest though Daniel Anderson isn't the sharpest tool in the shed (remembering the dopey half time antics in the 2002 GF), and that he won't realise that there's an issue that needs serious policy clarification.

Scott

Bench
I personally have no problem with Morgan, Perenara, Luke Phillips, Paul Mellor & Luke Patten being refs of video refs in games that involved their former playing clubs. It's a bit far fetched suggesting they may favour said teams. For the most part, the job is being done just fine. Always stuff to work on & there will always be contentious 50-50 calls.

Iafeta

Referee
LOL - just fine? Yeah the refs are going great guns. Morgan was in the box for the 40/20 over-ruling.

The issue I have with Justin Morgan being involved with either the Raiders or Warriors is this - he was punted by the Raiders at the end of last year, and he was outed through the process to be McClennan's replacement. The mere thought that there is any impropriety makes it a dumb decision to have in the box for a Warriors or Raiders game. There's countless other games he could be video reffing.

ozbash

Referee
that 40/20 decision smacks of a Bombay bookie.

Then Henry gets over ruled by Chechin and we lose possession again...

conflicts of interest i'm thinking, the have to be seen NOT favoring a team they had ties with.

Micistm

Bench
Another point is that there are teams with certain reputations, like us with 'ill discipline', the Sharks with 'cheap shots' etc. They aren't any more true than the other teams IMO, but the upshot of which is these teams get watched like hawks, and pinged for everything, while the opposition in the game is not scrutinised as much, so get away with more. The ultimate result from that is it looks all inconsistant.

What I don't get, is that IMO The Storm are the cheapest, grubbiest team in the comp and continue to get away with blue murder. What gives? I have a few games vs Storm I've kept, and in every single one of them there are some cheap grubby off the ball tactics that are not pulled up on. I also thought there was officiating that went through game videos post game that looked for offences- That's how we lost Issac Luke for a test on one occasion. Yet the Storm continue to get preferential treatment IMO. Cam Smith and Slater in particular are the sneakiest grubs in the NRL IMO yet are still treated like royalty. They still do the chicken wing, they still get away with it, Cam Smith is probably the worst for cheap off the ball antics.

One Warrior

Bench
In my opinion you know we are being dudded when the Aussie commentators start mentioning the bad calls, it happened on Thursday, it happened against the Raiders and certainly in the 2011 SF against the Tigers. The Aussie commentators rarely talk us up and even more so comment on bad calls against us, so when they do it is so blatant they would failing in their job if they didn't mention it. To be honest though I don't think the situation will ever change, we are just going to have to be good enough to take the refs out of the equation.

jaseg

Juniors
In my opinion you know we are being dudded when the Aussie commentators start mentioning the bad calls, it happened on Thursday, it happened against the Raiders and certainly in the 2011 SF against the Tigers. The Aussie commentators rarely talk us up and even more so comment on bad calls against us, so when they do it is so blatant they would failing in their job if they didn't mention it. To be honest though I don't think the situation will ever change, we are just going to have to be good enough to take the refs out of the equation.

Hah, and the 2011 GF (DCE try obstruction, George Rose staying on the field etc). True though, the only Aussie commentator that seems to give any love to the Warriors/Kiwis on any sort of consistent basis is Sterlo. Otherwise it's 'ignore any bad calls that go against the Warriors/Kiwis until it gets so bad we can't possibly continue without mentioning it'. There are exceptions, but generally I find that is the case - and it's not going to change.

Benek

Juniors
Vossy has always been somewhat kind to the Warriors and obviously now as the official Warriors home game caller, even more so. But yeah, when the Aussie commentators mention the bad calls against the Warriors you know they are pretty bad. And this year we've gotten so many bad calls at key momentum-changing points in big close games that it feels like the refs had have had a big hand in most of our loses. I feel sorry for the team when that happens. As a fan it's so frustrating I can't even imagine how frustrating it would be for a player on the field. The refereeing seems to get worse every year.

Blair

Coach
Phil Gould's also not bad. He was pretty incredulous that Watmough's knock on in the play the ball wasn't called in the 2011 GF (Manly went on to score within a set or two).

Although this could just be him calling the obvious rather than the 50/50s going against us.

vvvrulz

Coach
Phil Gould's also not bad. He was pretty incredulous that Watmough's knock on in the play the ball wasn't called in the 2011 GF (Manly went on to score within a set or two).

Although this could just be him calling the obvious rather than the 50/50s going against us.

Even Sterlo and Rabs were pretty straight up about the terrible refereeing in that match and the Tigers playoff, there was the Watmough play, Rose's cheap shot on Heremaia, Inu tackled without the ball, strips called for clear knock ons, that Locke penalty... it just goes on and on.

For all those incidents Gus tore into the refs and the other two were in agreement. I don't have a problem with the Channel 9 guys, the Fox guys are clearly biased though.

vvvrulz

Coach
Yet the Storm continue to get preferential treatment IMO. Cam Smith and Slater in particular are the sneakiest grubs in the NRL IMO yet are still treated like royalty.

Especially when things get desperate like with the Warriors last week, Slater was in the touchie's ear and somehow that 40/20 got reversed, and then he flopped around like crazy and milked a cheap penalty for what was a run of the mill tackle.

In terms of Cam Smith the grub, ill always remember his cheap elbow into Locke's head in the '11 playoffs that went completely unnoticed and unpunished. I love it every time we beat them.

I don't have a problem with the Channel 9 guys, the Fox guys are clearly biased though.

Yep FOX are tards. I would love to lay a good old knuckle sandwich on Belcher. That guys hates us and it really worries me that he doesn't really give any love to his Raiders. You would think he was an ex balmain player listening to his anti raiders gobble.

He makes Pearce look better and that's saying something.

MKEB...

Staff member
And Ikin dribbles more than Halligan. I thought that was impossible, however it seems that I am wrong.