What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 and 3...How are we travelling?

perverse

Referee
Ok, let's just put this into perspective. This time, last year, we were also 3-3. However, this time, in regards to for and against, we are 142-130 (+12). Last year, we were 110-148 (-38). Also, last year, we were having to deal with the fact that Joey had retired and was no longer there to steer the side. We also had to deal with the long list of incompetent players we were carrying in the side, who had been dragging the chains for many years.

This year, we are a lot better positioned, we can only get better, and even if we do have a bad run of injuries, we do have a lot more depth in the squad this year than we did last year. Barring any major catastrophic thing happening, I can't see why we won't be making the top 8 this year.
we're also up against a much tougher early season draw this year than last - which is only further to our credit this year.

Knight87

Juniors
also another thing. Interesting to note: In all 3 games we lost this year, we scored the same number of tries as the opposition did:)

I can't see us getting flogged, like we have been in recent years. In recent years, you could always count on 3 or 4 games every year where the Knights were going to get absolutely annihilated. This year, our defense has improved out of sight. That was very evident in the 2nd half yesterday. Infact, with the exception of the Warriors game, we've outscored every side in the 2nd half this year (keeping Manly, Parramatta and Syd Roosters tryless in 2nd half, Brisbane to one try in 2nd half, and Canberra and Warriors to 2 tries only in 2nd half). We've fought right to the 80th minute in every game, and haven't thrown in the towel like in previous years, where other sides would've easily put 3 tries on us in the last 10 mins

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Further to that, our final 20 minutes in every game has been absolutely outstanding:

R1 vs Canberra - 18-10
R2 vs Manly - 11-0
R3 vs Parra - 5-2 (2 points being field goals)
R4 vs Warriors - 8-6
R5 vs Broncos - 8-6
R6 vs Roosters - 22-0

We've kept three teams tryless in the final quarter of the game, conceded only 1 try in the final 20 against the Broncos and Warriors and two against the Raiders. That tells me that over the course of the season, if we stay in the game at the 60th minute, I'll be confident of finishing over the top of our opposition more often than not.

Super Sub

Juniors
I think we are really reaping the benefit of having one of the fittest Knights squads in years. We almost over-ran the broncos and warriors with our late game enthusiasm and we definetly out-enthused the roosters and we just had too much ticker for them at the back end of the game.

As previously mentioned, if we are ahead of a team by roughly the 65th minute mark I can see us winning most of those games this year. And if we are behind but within a couple of tries within the last quarter, its always going to be game on. The roosters learnt that the hard way unfortunately for them, we really were all over them. Not to mention the Broncos probably being lucky to get away with the early lead a couple of weeks ago.

I'm getting excited about the way the team will be playing about half way through the year, this should give them enough time to settle into their roles and start putting teams away earlier in the game.

K-Man

Bench
And Simpson hasn't even played yet. He will improve the staying power in the forwards even more. Houston, Simpson, Hilder, Paterson could all play 80 minutes, which they obviously won't always be doing but it does mean that if they are only playing 50-70 minutes on average then we will very often have plenty of energy left at the back end of games.

All this discussion leaves me feeling a little bittersweet. It's a fantastic improvement on last season and some of the stats regarding how second half performances, tries conceded etc give me a lot of confidence, but they also leave me a little dejected to only be 3-3.

Don't get me wrong, at the start of the season I would've taken that in a heartbeat, but we have actually been so much better than expected that without silly dropped balls and penalties at crucial times we really should/could be 5-1 and making some people eat their words.

At the moment people are respecting us, but i want them to REALLy respect us.

Just a quick little extra, Warren Ryan said on the radio after the win that the Knights will absolutely be one of the teams to beat with 8 rounds to play. Said something about how he loves the way they are playing and as the season progresses they will be a huge threat. I thought this already, but I respect the Wok and love hearing those words from his mouth.

Hanscholo

Bench
The thing that has impressed me the most is how well we are finishing matches. I cant recall a Knights side that i was ever confident about going into a second half with. Johns said it in his book, they would play as hard as they could for 60min and sit on the lead.

If we can sort out our kick defusal problems then we are one of the better defensive sides in the comp. As for our attack, well im nothing short of amazed at not just how we can score points but by the sheer beauty of it at times. Its West Tigers like, players in motion, multiple runners off ball players with options inside and out and we are constatnly hitting the fringe with really sharp attacks.

Im delighted with the season thus far, we are miles ahead of where i thought we would be.

Pika

Bench
We are certainly coming home strong.

Oddly enough there was concern by some players that the preseason was a little light on.

Used to the 'old school' Stockton sand dune runs till you vomit, the new scientific approach to pre season has been great. Minimised injuries, and a squad who has a full 80 minutes in the tank.

Criticised somewhat early because it drew so many penalties, our domination in the ruck is also a large contributor. The amount of gas we pull from the tank of our opposition by making them work so hard at the play of the ball while we expend minimum energy.

A smart bench system is also helping the cause.

80 minute tanks in players like Houston and Bederus, and the outstanding work ethic of rotated players like Hilder, Taia, Tolar and Royal are another contributor.

Where are we at this point in the season?

Where we planned to be. 50% win rate up to round ten was the goal.

Performance on the paddack I think we are a little uder expectation after the weekends game.

Sadly, we are not where we planned to be in both defence and injuries.

After the break, we have two tough assignments. Key players will start to become available and we will be heading into round ten, where expectations are even higher, as the team is expected to be close to top form.

Interesting times.

keeney

First Grade
I like that we are fit enough to often use luxury changes, like Buderus on the bench for 5-10 minutes. I've never seen a fitter or more enthusiastic Knights squad so consistently.

Johns Magic

Referee
If we can jag wins from the Titans at home in Round 8(will Aussie players be available for that game?) and Tigers at home in round 10 we'll be sitting pretty on 12 points after 10 Rounds.

perverse

Referee
If we can jag wins from the Titans at home in Round 8(will Aussie players be available for that game?) and Tigers at home in round 10 we'll be sitting pretty on 12 points after 10 Rounds.
pretty doable imo.

it would actually go in our favour if the aussie players arn't available against the tits if prince is selected for aus (i think this is what you're alluding to). i question the tits ability to function without him at the moment, he's in awesome form.

Serc

First Grade
We play the Titans on May 3 (Sat), the Centenary Test is on May 9 (the Friday after) so going off what they have done in the past, the Kangaroos players will be not playing in the round we play the Titans.

I wouldn't be getting too excited about Prince not playing against us yet, Lockyer might still play for Australia, given he is expected to play against the Bunnies this weekend. In that case they will probably go with Thurston and Lockyer. Even if Lockyer is out, I wouldn't be surprised if they picked Cronk as he is the incumbent.

So in other words, we are just about gauranteed to be missing Gidley, and the Titans have some chance of missing Prince :p

perverse

Referee
We play the Titans on May 3 (Sat), the Centenary Test is on May 9 (the Friday after) so going off what they have done in the past, the Kangaroos players will be not playing in the round we play the Titans.

I wouldn't be getting too excited about Prince not playing against us yet, Lockyer might still play for Australia, given he is expected to play against the Bunnies this weekend. In that case they will probably go with Thurston and Lockyer. Even if Lockyer is out, I wouldn't be surprised if they picked Cronk as he is the incumbent.

So in other words, we are just about gauranteed to be missing Gidley, and the Titans have some chance of missing Prince :p
picking cronk ahead of prince at the moment would be a farce.

if lockyer is fit he will be picked you would imagine though... in which case yeah, it'll just be us missing gidley... although the tits might have a few other smokeys for the team. it would be a massive mountain to climb to beat a tits outfit with prince without the services of gidley... but we should have a few blokes back against the tits... and if there was ever a year that the knights could win matches without key personnel... it would be this year.

Bicey_18

Bench
Aussie players usually play the week before for their clubs I think that is only Origin that they arent eligible to play.. Meaning bar an injury against the Warriors... Prince will be there.

Knight87

Juniors
As far as I'm concerned, it's only State of Origin where selected players are not allowed to play for their clubs on that round. This is partially due to the fact that in State of Origin, the pace of the game is a lot more faster, roughter, tougher and hence takes a lot more wear and tear on your body than Test matches and City/Country Origin.

Frederick

Staff member
As far as I'm concerned, it's only State of Origin where selected players are not allowed to play for their clubs on that round. This is partially due to the fact that in State of Origin, the pace of the game is a lot more faster, roughter, tougher and hence takes a lot more wear and tear on your body than Test matches and City/Country Origin.
Also the fact that SoO matches are played mid-week, while Tests and CC are played on Fridays

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Yeh Prince will play regardless they play both weeks either side of the test. That means hopefully the Storm rest alot of their players, they might think they have us covered and wont play Smith and Inglis, thats what im hoping anyway.

keeney

First Grade
Yeh Prince will play regardless they play both weeks either side of the test. That means hopefully the Storm rest alot of their players, they might think they have us covered and wont play Smith and Inglis, thats what im hoping anyway.

Doubt it, Bellamy is too samrt to take us lightly, particularly with his team not in top form. Both Inglis and Smith are young, I doubt he'd rest em.