What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 Conference 18 Team League & Expansion

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Doesn't seem to effect the Storm, at any rate.
Traveling is a requirement of a national comp.
Who cares if tinpot suburban clubs get some minor travel advantage, it has done them jack all good anyway.

my conferences would be more like this

A
Roosters
Souths
Wests
Storm
Perth
Warriors

B
Parramatta
Bulldogs
Penrith
Raiders
Broncos
Cowboys

C
Manly
St George-Illawarra
Cronulla
Knights
Titans
South QLD

How have you decided that split?

siv

First Grade
In a regional conference you build on those regional rivalries

Brisbane - Nth Qld - Gold Coast - Brisbane 2

Melbourne - Warriors - Perth - Nth Qld

Newcastle - Canberra - Brisbane - Gold Coast

But the beauty of the 2 conference model is that cross conference clashes get a guaranteed home and away clash over a 2 year period

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
it does though. If your Storm you end up travelling to Qland 4 times, NZ once, NSW 6 times.
If a Sydney club you only travel outside of NSW 3 times. How is that equitable?

personally I would factor In more footy going to regional centres as well

adamkungl

Immortal
How have you decided that split?

Grouped Sydney teams first by trying to maximise rivalries (obviously debatable how successful I was)
Then the QLD teams in pairs, and Storm + Warriors. Then the remainders.
(but really i didn't think about it for more than a few seconds so I wouldn't get too hung up on it)

Any grouping like this will inevitably miss some rivalries

MugaB

Coach
I often wish that SuperLeague won.
Yeah their would be a lot less teams in sydney, but i feel it wouldn't have the same tribalism as the ARL/Nswrl or even the BRL before the broncos, thus falling away as another A-league or SuperRugby

Travitoh

First Grade
Yeah their would be a lot less teams in sydney, but i feel it wouldn't have the same tribalism as the ARL/Nswrl or even the BRL before the broncos, thus falling away as another A-league or SuperRugby

I understand your point but disagree the game would've fallen away. Rugby's demise has been brought on by a lack of FTA coverage as well as never really caring about the domestic level and soccer has never had a serious national competition in Australia.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Can we please stop pretending that anybody cares about three quarters of these so called "rivalries" in Sydney.

With the exception of a few games like Easts v Souths, St. George v Cronulla, and in the past Manly vs Norths and Manly vs Wests, most of the so called "rivalries" in Sydney are really just rivalries in name only.

Once you look under the surface there isn't really anymore passion or hatred in those games than any other, and the only reason that people call them rivalries is because both teams are from the same city, and lets be honest, that is the shallowest form of rivalry that there is to begin with, and when just over half of the competition comes from the one city and there're multiple "Sydney derbies" every week, it devalues the novelty of said derbies to the point where it's not a must see special event that only happens once or twice a season anyway.

I mean honestly, your average punter doesn't treat the vast majority of the Sydney derby games as must see rivalries, and never has, and just because Rabs and Gus will wax lyrical about the great "rivalry" between e.g. Cronulla and Penrith, that doesn't mean that they actually have a rivalry or that anybody particularly cares anymore about their matches than any other match.

mongoose

Coach
The best rivalries right now are:

Storm vs Sharks

Raiders vs Sharks

Manly vs Storm seemed to die down for a few years but has blown up again

I guess Souths vs Easts is still big but its overhyped.

Tigers vs Panthers cause of the Ivan fiasco

Rivalries come and go though...

Perth Red

Post Whore
I often wish that SuperLeague won.

I wish that in 1995 the ARL and news had been able to agree and that the Sydney rationalisations long with the global vision had been successful.

we would by now have lily had a 16 team national competition, a vibrant second division and a genuine world club challenge.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The 1995 vision was to have 4 super Sydney clubs owned by the existing clubs with the existing clubs playing in a second division. Personally I’d have had 5

north coast - manly, gosford and bears
Western Sydney - Panthers and eels
SW Sydney - Bulldogs, wests and newtown
Sydney city - roosters and Souths
South Coast - Dragons, Sharks and Steelers

SQ crushers
Brisbane city Broncos
Gold Coast
NQ

storm
Reds
Rams
Warriors
Southern Orcas
Raiders
Knights

now that would be a comp for the decades to come

MugaB

Coach
The 1995 vision was to have 4 super Sydney clubs owned by the existing clubs with the existing clubs playing in a second division. Personally I’d have had 5

SQ crushers
Brisbane city Broncos
Gold Coast
NQ

storm
Reds
Rams
Warriors
Southern Orcas
Raiders
Knights

It can still happen the way you've suggested but with 20 teams adding
Perth pirates, Adelaide A's, NZ B's and South Qld C's, rationalisation will happen naturally by clubs either selling out or cant affording to keep on going, but it'll take 20+ years for it to happen

Perth Red

Post Whore
It can still happen the way you've suggested but with 20 teams adding
Perth pirates, Adelaide A's, NZ B's and South Qld C's, rationalisation will happen naturally by clubs either selling out or cant affording to keep on going, but it'll take 20+ years for it to happen

problem is that will cost the nrl in the region of $70mill a year and they do t want to spend the money, then we get the whinge about player depth, then we can the risk the nrl would carry in concerns about having to bail out new clubs if in trouble. One thing we do know about the nrl is they are an extremely conservative risk averse organisation.

MugaB

Coach
problem is that will cost the nrl in the region of $70mill a year and they do t want to spend the money, then we get the whinge about player depth, then we can the risk the nrl would carry in concerns about having to bail out new clubs if in trouble. One thing we do know about the nrl is they are an extremely conservative risk averse organisation.
Better than fly off the seat of your pants twiggy forest

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors

SQ crushers
Brisbane city Broncos
Gold Coast
NQ

storm
Reds
Rams
Warriors
Southern Orcas
Raiders
Knights

It would have killed the game over night

MugaB

Coach
It would have killed the game over night
Agreed, rabbits and chooks, despise each other, sharks and dragons aren't much better, and parra wants to be BFFs with Penrith, but we all think they are missing a chromosone, and want nothing to do with pawwa.
Not to mention the northern eagles merger fk me, that was doomed from the start, see the better ideas have been tigers/wests and dragon/Illawarra
The distance works someway, now if the chooks and parra merged and souths/penrith
These work on some level but geographicaly are a mess,
Gold coast and Hunter Mariners was a great one that never happened, Easts and Balmain would have been the best idea out of the lot, and a Canterbury/Wests merger would have sealed south western sydney better than what the tigers are doing now

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Agreed, rabbits and chooks, despise each other, sharks and dragons aren't much better, and parra wants to be BFFs with Penrith, but we all think they are missing a chromosone, and want nothing to do with pawwa.
Not to mention the northern eagles merger fk me, that was doomed from the start, see the better ideas have been tigers/wests and dragon/Illawarra
The distance works someway, now if the chooks and parra merged and souths/penrith
These work on some level but geographicaly are a mess,
Gold coast and Hunter Mariners was a great one that never happened, Easts and Balmain would have been the best idea out of the lot

personally, I see zero reason for any more mergers

Latest posts