What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 Conference 18 Team League & Expansion

siv

First Grade
Yes I've read up on this, but still the tigers and magpies are more a foundation club than the rebels and fruitpickers as they were done within a season or two And tigers and magpies have always been in the comp from the very start, either way its moot
And if you want to get technical gold coast giants started in 1988 along with broncos and knights, so they'd be in the late the party conference.

If i was basing the competition into conferences via historical admissions
Conference 1 (08-35)
Souths, Wests, Easts, StGeorge, Canterbury.
Conference 2 (47-82)
Manly, Parramatta, Penrith, Cronulla, Canberra,
Conference 3 (88-95)
Newcastle, Brisbane, GoldCoast, NorthQLD, SouthQLD,
Conference 4 (95-now)
NZ, Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, NZ2

Swap Canberra for NZ2 and substitute NZ2 with the CC Bears

And you have a deal

MugaB

Coach
Swap Canberra for NZ2 and substitute NZ2 with the CC Bears

And you have a deal
Well then historically the bears would be in the first conference (08-21)
And canterbury would go to the next conference, then canberra to the next

It would be adjusted like so

Conference 1 (08-21)
Souths, Wests, Easts, Bears, StGeorge.
Conference 2 (35-67)
Canterbury, Manly, Parramatta, Penrith, Cronulla.
Conference 3 (82-95)
Canberra, Newcastle, Brisbane, GoldCoast, NorthQLD.
Conference 4 (95-now)
NZ, Perth, South QLD, Adelaide, Melbourne.

I doubt that CC bears would happen or that Canberra would ever get the arse. So no NZ2.

siv

First Grade

Conference 1 (08-21)
Conference 2 (35-67)
Conference 3 (82-95)
Conference 4 (95-now)

I doubt that CC bears would happen or that Canberra would ever get the arse. So no NZ2.

But isnt it interesting that Conf 1 & 2 match the proposed Sydney conference

And your Conf 3 & 4 match the proposed regional conference

For either 18 or 20 teams - with Newcastle moving to the Sydney conference if 20 teams and no CC Bears

MugaB

Coach
But isnt it interesting that Conf 1 & 2 match the proposed Sydney conference

And your Conf 3 & 4 match the proposed regional conference

For either 18 or 20 teams - with Newcastle moving to the Sydney conference if 20 teams and no CC Bears
Sorry but why bother having a National Rugby League, if all anyone wants is a seperated NSWRL conference, and then Rest (being regional)
I only stated if we went the route of dates entered the comp, thats how the 20 team comp would look like.

My Preference is a Geographical non-bias Conference that is Split into Compass points Northern, Eastern, Southern and Western.
This is by far fairer solution and will help spread out the Marquee players, whilst also create more local rivalries within each conference, which means more crowds going to those important grudge matches, because they are more valuable wins in the scheme of toping your conference

Northern Conference
North Queensland COWBOYS.
Brisbane BRONCOS.
Gold Coast TITANS.
SOUTH QLD (new).
Newcastle KNIGHTS.
Western Conference
PERTH (new).
Parramatta EELS.
Penrith PANTHERS.
Wests TIGERS.
Canterbury-Bankstown BULLDOGS.
Southern Conference
South Sydney RABBITOHS.
St.George-Ilawarra DRAGONS.
Canberra RAIDERS.
Melbourne STORM.
ADELAIDE (new).
Eastern Conference
New Zealand WARRIORS.
CENTRAL COAST or NZ2 (new).
Manly-Warringah SEA EAGLES.
Sydney ROOSTERS.
Cronulla-Sutherland SHARKS.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee

Conference 1 (08-21)
Conference 2 (35-67)
Conference 3 (82-95)
Conference 4 (95-now)

Conferences should be named after great player and people.

Messenger
Churchill
Beetson
Gasnier

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Sorry but why bother having a National Rugby League, if all anyone wants is a seperated NSWRL conference, and then Rest (being regional)
I only stated if we went the route of dates entered the comp, thats how the 20 team comp would look like.

My Preference is a Geographical non-bias Conference that is Split into Compass points Northern, Eastern, Southern and Western.
This is by far fairer solution and will help spread out the Marquee players, whilst also create more local rivalries within each conference, which means more crowds going to those important grudge matches, because they are more valuable wins in the scheme of toping your conference

Northern Conference
North Queensland COWBOYS.
Brisbane BRONCOS.
Gold Coast TITANS.
SOUTH QLD (new).
Newcastle KNIGHTS.
Western Conference
PERTH (new).
Parramatta EELS.
Penrith PANTHERS.
Wests TIGERS.
Canterbury-Bankstown BULLDOGS.
Southern Conference
South Sydney RABBITOHS.
St.George-Ilawarra DRAGONS.
Canberra RAIDERS.
Melbourne STORM.
ADELAIDE (new).
Eastern Conference
New Zealand WARRIORS.
CENTRAL COAST or NZ2 (new).
Manly-Warringah SEA EAGLES.
Sydney ROOSTERS.
Cronulla-Sutherland SHARKS.

I still think 20 teams is too much at this stage.

3x6 is my preference
A
Roosters
Souths
Wests
Storm
Perth
Warriors

B
Parramatta
Bulldogs
Penrith
Raiders
Broncos
Cowboys

C
Manly
St George-Illawarra
Cronulla
Knights
Titans
South QLD

I like the conference format for the future in line with expansion. I Posted something similar in the Main NRL Forums - what will the NRL look like in 50 years.

I tried to balance expansion with existing teams, in a format that is fair to all, giving both the NSW and Interstate teams an even balance (especially accounting for travel) - while keeping all the current clubs alive. Also includes promotion/relegation aspects.

Edited post below relevant to expansion/conference aspects. It's a bit out there - but if you told fans back in 1970 how the game would look 50 years ahead, they'd probably think you were mad too.

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/...-nrl-look-like-in-50-years-time.479151/page-3

EXPANSION & CONFERENCE SYSTEM

I think the NRL will have expanded further into

• Perth,
  • Central Coast (NSW),
  • a further team in NZ,
  • 2 further Qld teams (I think they'll keep the Titans until/unless AFL fold the Suns - the biggest mexican standoff in sport). Unsure but likely will include Adelaide as well.
  • Some of the Sydney Clubs may have already folded/relocation. But I’ll assume here that all are still in…
  • I cant see a Pacific Island team in the NRL. But many Pacific Island teams will dominate international RL.
Comp format - 20 teams**.

The comp will be in a conference system format (think NFL). 5 teams per conference. Something Akin to this
  • QLD - Broncos, Cowboys, Titans, Brisbane#2 (possibly Ipswich), 5th team (possibly Rocky – Central Qld).
  • FRONTIER – Storm, Warriors, Perth, NZ#2, Adelaide.
  • NSW NORTH - Knights, Sea Eagles, Central Coast, Panthers, Eels, Tigers
  • NSW SOUTH - Dragons, Sharks, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Bulldogs, Raiders (Yes - I know they are ACT)
Of the NSW Conferences (6 teams), the bottom side in each will drop out of the competition after the home and away rounds (first 10 weeks) and enter the NSW Cup Competition, Thus each conference becomes a conference of 5 teams. There will also be a promotion/relegation system in place. See below…

SEASON FORMAT/DRAW

• Teams will play home and away games within their conferences
  • Teams play each other twice in the conference (8 games for QLD & Frontier, 10 games for NSW North n South). Then play all the remaining teams in other conferences once. A further 15 regular season games.
  • The bottom side in each of the NSW conferences drop out of the competition. They play in a 2nd-tier competition commencing June/July over 10 rounds plus semi finals series. (eg NSW CUP with the likes of Newtown, Bears, Cutters, Wenty etc etc which will start mid-year). See below.
***Regional Cup..........
  • In the first half of the season while the NRL Conference games are going on There is a Regional Cup with teams will play a separate Regional competition that include Country teams out of the likes of Dubbo, Wagga, Bathurst, Kempsey etc. These will be regional centre teams of country NSW that have (finally) had heavy investment from the NRL.. See below...........****

• The QLD & Frontier conferences will have 2 bye rounds, to balance up with 10 weekends / rounds of the NSW matches. These byes will also be “compensation” for all the travel they will be doing.
  • Top team in each conference automatically qualify for the semi-finals. The next best 4 qualifying teams (competition points, then for & against in the event of a tie) across all conferences go through to the finals a ranking system.

GRAND FINAL HOST VENUE
  • Here....The NRL will open the GF to play played outside Sydney – with strict guidelines on Stadiums that can host. EG – over 70k capacity, can be “reconfigured” to a rectangular field (ie eliminating the likes of the MCG, but incentivising new stadiums OR redeveloping existing stadiums to increase capacity – eg Lang Park, OR both capacity and shape – perhaps the likes of Etihad stadium in Melbourne).

REGIONAL/NSW CUP

• In the first half of the season while the NRL Conference games are going on The NSW Regional Cup will take place that include Country teams out of the likes of Dubbo, Wagga, Bathurst, Kempsey etc. Teams play each other once in regular season then finals series from the top 4 teams. Week one is 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3. Winners progress to Regional Cup Grand Final in Week 2.
  • Top 8 teams of the Regional Competition and the 2 relegated NSW Conference teams play in the NSW CUP Competition - playing each other once in regular season then finals series from the top 4 teams. Week one is 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3. Winners progress to NS Cup Grand FInal in Week 2.

PROMOTION/RELEGATION SYSTEM
  • The Kicker of the above competitions.. - a team that wins BOTH the REGIONAL AND NSW CUPS will be promoted to be the 6th NSW Conference Team the following season, while one of the relegated NSW conference teams will be further relegated to the Regional/NSW Cup competition the following season.
Scenario… As an example lets say..

• The Sea Eagles and Sharks finish 6th in their conferences and drop to NSW Cup.. The Sea Eagles are the lowest ranked team.
  • The Dubbo “Rangers” win the Regional Cup.
  • In the NSW Cup – The Dubbo Rangers and Cronulla Sharks go into the grand final...
  • if Cronulla win – they and the Sea Eagles automatically go back into the NRL next Season
  • if Dubbo win – they get promoted into the NRL next season. AND… The Sharks And Sea Eagles then play each other – winner re-enters the NRL next season, loser is relegated to Regional/NSW Cup competitions….
  • Should different teams win the Regional and NSW Cups – no relegation of NRL teams applies.
REPRESENTATIVE FOOTBALL

• International Football shall supercede State of Origin as the primary arena for Rep Football
  • State Of Origin will be a singular game each season – moving between Sydney & Brisbane each year for hosting rights.
  • Tonga Samoa and PNG will remain/progress to Tier 1 Rugby League Countries – joining Australia, NZ and England.
  • The Representative Rounds shall take place Mid-Year – in conjunction with the Semi-final series of the NSW Regional Cup. The NRL Competition shall have a 2-week season break during this time.

Sydney teams would barely have to travel which would give them an advantage by finals time.

Plus you lost me at Central Coast Bears.

I'm not against the ideas of conferences if we end up with an all Sydney conference or two I'd rather just stick with what we have + whatever expansion teams come along.
Why did he lose you at Central Coast Bears ?, do you know how many Central Coast juniors are currently playing in the NRL, Canterbury Cup, Jersey Flegg etc.
We could easily support our own side.
How many juniors do the Roosters have ?, Manly as well ?.
Why ignore an rugby league heartland that can sustain itself.
Only selfish clubs with their own agendas are blocking the CCBears.
Imagine if the Bears had done the same to Manly in 1947 or Newcastle in 1988.
Norths moved to the Central Coast in 1999, the Stadium wasn't finished and they suffered the consequences.
Atleast they decided to move, unlike clubs today who are only averaging 12,000 fans to games yet still expect to hold their spot in the NRL.
The Bears got forced into a merger with Manly and with Arko and Fulton behind the scenes were always going to be kicked out of the competition in due time, this was despite being one of the most successful clubs during the 90's who didn't win a premiership.

jim_57

Staff member
Why did he lose you at Central Coast Bears ?, do you know how many Central Coast juniors are currently playing in the NRL, Canterbury Cup, Jersey Flegg etc.
We could easily support our own side.
How many juniors do the Roosters have ?, Manly as well ?.
Why ignore an rugby league heartland that can sustain itself.
Only selfish clubs with their own agendas are blocking the CCBears.
Imagine if the Bears had done the same to Manly in 1947 or Newcastle in 1988.
Norths moved to the Central Coast in 1999, the Stadium wasn't finished and they suffered the consequences.
Atleast they decided to move, unlike clubs today who are only averaging 12,000 fans to games yet still expect to hold their spot in the NRL.
The Bears got forced into a merger with Manly and with Arko and Fulton behind the scenes were always going to be kicked out of the competition in due time, this was despite being one of the most successful clubs during the 90's who didn't win a premiership.

This argument has been done to death.

NRL has 10 NSW Clubs plus the Raiders & Titans who's catchment areas extend well in to NSW. They don't need another at the expensive of Perth, Brisbane 2, NZ2, Adelaide etc and probably more if they ever get that far.

If the Bears were admitted after the novelty had worn off would just be another one of those clubs averaging 12k.

flippikat

Bench
This argument has been done to death.

NRL has 10 NSW Clubs plus the Raiders & Titans who's catchment areas extend well in to NSW. They don't need another at the expensive of Perth, Brisbane 2, NZ2, Adelaide etc and probably more if they ever get that far.

If the Bears were admitted after the novelty had worn off would just be another one of those clubs averaging 12k.

Exactly. NSW has enough top-tier clubs. If another location like the Central Coast is to be added, it should be via relocation of an existing Sydney club, or after another merger - basically, a "zero sum" scenario for the level of NSW representation.

siv

First Grade
Exactly. NSW has enough top-tier clubs. If another location like the Central Coast is to be added, it should be via relocation of an existing Sydney club, or after another merger - basically, a "zero sum" scenario for the level of NSW representation.

Prefer to see the Broncos replaced then Qld Cup clubs could fill the void

Last Week

Bench
Conferences only serve the purpose of providing a schedule for us. We don't have a large amount of teams for an NFL or NBA style system.

Melbourne
Brisbane 2
Parramatta
Penrith
Manly
Newcastle

NZ
Brisbane
NQ
Wests Tigers
Canberra
Canterbury

Perth
Gold Coast
Sydney
Souths
Cronulla
St George/Illawarra

Everyone plays each team in each group twice (10 matches) and every team in other conferences once (12 matches), for a total of 22 matches for each team.

Everyone travels. Local derby's are kept together as best as possible.

I like the Wild Card idea and a straight knock out finals, but I can't see it working in Australia and the media demands.

I'd say that the finals system would remain the same but the 3 conference winners would take the places of the first 3 seeds of the finals positions.

Really, we don't need conferences for the purposes of finals until we get to at least 20 teams.

When that happens, 4 divisions of 5 teams. The winner of each division skips a week and are seeded based on record.

Week 1.
(i) 2A vs 3A
(ii) 2B vs 3B
(iii) 2C vs 3C
(iv) 2D vs 3D

Week 2
(v) 1st seed vs lowest ranked winner of week 1.
(vi) 2nd seed vs 2nd lowest ranked winner of week 1.
(vii) 3rd seed vs 3rd lowest ranked winner of week 1.
(viii) 4th seed vs 4th lowest ranked winner of week 1.

Week 3.
(ix) Highest ranked winner of week 2 vs lowest ranked winner of week 2.
(x) 2nd highest ranked winner of week 2 vs 2nd lowest ranked winner of week 2.

Week 4
Grand final.
(xi) Winner of (ix) vs Winner of (x)

Latest posts