What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 Good Reasons Why We Should Keep MONTE

Is Monty Betham worth keeping?

• Yes

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 76.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Humphrey

Juniors
He's mentioned in a couple of threads after this weekends game against the Chooks but can anyone give me THREE good (and consistent) reasons why we should be keen to keep Monte Beetham?

Scorpio30

Bench
1, His ability to not give away silly penalties in important parts of the game.

2, His speed and agility.

3, He is a good cook...Just ask Mr Effective.

:^o

ozbash

Referee
I think montz is pretty good motivating the young guys- feka- so he would be an asset there.
i remember a couple of seasons ago when the chips were down he gave a half time team talk which lifted the team to an unlikely victory.

he would be good value off field.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Good defender
Moderate passing/ball-playing abilities (for a back-rower)

Seriously, there aren't three good reasons. There really isn't any room in first grade for a guy with no ball-carrying ability whatsoever (without mentioning discipline.)

JJ

Immortal
RHYTHM AND STEALTH said:
Total Team Man
Not going to see him get into any sh*t off the field on the piss etc
Intimidator on the field

I don't think professional teams are terribly intimidated by receiving repeat sets and gaining good field position on the back of brain explosions from a supposed "tough guy" - if he wants to take up boxing, or become a bouncer - FINE

carlnz

Bench
1. Good Defender

2. Experience

3. Can play 80 mins

4. Team Man

5. Wont get in trouble of the field

6. Loyal to the club

Sure he has bad points but what player doesnt?

Humphrey

Juniors
carlnz said:
1. Good Defender

2. Experience

3. Can play 80 mins

4. Team Man

5. Wont get in trouble of the field

6. Loyal to the club

Sure he has bad points but what player doesnt?

1. Good Defender - :? Im thinking on that one

2. Experience - should have taught him to pull his head in on more than one occassion

3. Can play 80 mins - when he's not in the bin or under suspension :lol:

4. Team Man - - giving away stupid senseless penalties - nah - its more about Monte these days

5. Wont get in trouble of the field - yeh you can have that one

6. Loyal to the club - lets face it no one else is going to spemd good money on ill discipline and costly give-mes to the opposition

I vote him off the island

Iafeta

Referee
1. Good Defender - :? Im thinking on that one

Actually, I agree with Carl on that. Totally. Saved us once or twice in the Chooks game.

2. Experience - should have taught him to pull his head in on more than one occassion

Agree. Doesn't use his experience.

3. Can play 80 mins - when he's not in the bin or under suspension :lol:

Has he been binned this season??

4. Team Man - - giving away stupid senseless penalties - nah - its more about Monte these days

Agree

5. Wont get in trouble of the field - yeh you can have that one

This is very true.

6. Loyal to the club - lets face it no one else is going to spemd good money on ill discipline and costly give-mes to the opposition

He is a very loyal character, very passionate about the club and its fans. I've said it before, I'll say it again, him and Ruben Wiki have hearts of gold the amount of time they spend accomodating fans requests.

I vote him on the island, in a scouting role.

THE MINGSTER

Juniors
Team man? Who isn't one in the Warriors? Hardly a quality that is special in Betham.

Loyal? Personally, these are all sentimental.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
THE MINGSTER said:
Team man? Who isn't one in the Warriors? Hardly a quality that is special in Betham.

Monty has shouldered a lot of off field responsibility and proven himself as a great ambassador for the club in that regard, far more so than almost any other player. For that reason most of us are advocating that he be offered an off-field role in the club.

JJ

Immortal
meh - he's been on sports cafe enough, maybe his "contacts' can get him a job...

Iafeta

Referee
THE MINGSTER said:

Good clubs are built on loyalty.

The Broncos are one.

Its a good culture to be amongst, any company that has loyal and happy employees is genuinely a successful mob. I've always looked at it, when I manage people in a business that the only way to motivate success is to encourage happiness, happiness leads to loyalty, loyalty breeds success/combinations/team work, courage to back one another up. I personally went from one company that had a culture of dissatisfaction, lack of communication, quick staff turnarounds, lack of loyalty, lack of committment to one another but with enormous potential that lost $500,000 every month, to a company that commanded loyalty, education, respect for one another, team work, happiness in a niche market that is a particularly low core growth sector with a high degree of risk - that company makes $75,000 a week. Its the sort of company that is proud to associate itself with good solid people - we have at our depot Olsen Filipaina and a bloke who won Grand Finals for St George in the 60's. Happy people. Loyal people. People willing to go the extra mile. Spot the difference.

Sentimental perhaps - but if you don't have those values, regardless of how talented your core group may be, in my opinion you're 1,000,000 to 1 to succeed.

Skinner

Coach
Iafeta said:
Good clubs are built on loyalty.

The Broncos are one.

Its a good culture to be amongst, any company that has loyal and happy employees is genuinely a successful mob. I've always looked at it, when I manage people in a business that the only way to motivate success is to encourage happiness, happiness leads to loyalty, loyalty breeds success/combinations/team work, courage to back one another up. I personally went from one company that had a culture of dissatisfaction, lack of communication, quick staff turnarounds, lack of loyalty, lack of committment to one another but with enormous potential that lost $500,000 every month, to a company that commanded loyalty, education, respect for one another, team work, happiness in a niche market that is a particularly low core growth sector with a high degree of risk - that company makes $75,000 a week. Its the sort of company that is proud to associate itself with good solid people - we have at our depot Olsen Filipaina and a bloke who won Grand Finals for St George in the 60's. Happy people. Loyal people. People willing to go the extra mile. Spot the difference.

Sentimental perhaps - but if you don't have those values, regardless of how talented your core group may be, in my opinion you're 1,000,000 to 1 to succeed.

Fine - but does that loyalty win you premierships ?

You can employ the most loyal, dedicated people in the the world,
but unless you have the best people...you ain't going to win.

Ex P&G Skinner

Iafeta

Referee
Skinner said:
Fine - but does that loyalty win you premierships ?

You can employ the most loyal, dedicated people in the the world,
but unless you have the best people...you ain't going to win.

Ex P&G Skinner

Disagree entirely. You can have Danny Buderus, Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer, Steve Price, Nathan Hindmarsh, Ali Lauitiiti etc all at the same club, if they don't give a rats A about the motto of the club, about what the club has stood for in years gone by, and more importantly, aren't happy or willing to stick to the task through the long haul, they'll get the wooden spoon.

As far as the success of teams that have stuck together...

Just ask Brisbane.

Or Canberra.

Or Saint George in the 1960's.

When they kept teams together, they won premierships.

You tell me if loyalty wins you premierships on that evidence.

Football philisophy is the same as a relationship, the same as a business, it won't succeed unless you're committed, dedicated and loyal to the goal of the team.

Humphrey

Juniors
I Didnt See One Good Reason To Keep Him Last Night Not Saying What He Did Was Anything Wrong Just Feel Hes Taking Up A Jersey That Could Be Better Put To Use

Scorpio30

Bench
Has anyone one seen the massive "Monty Betham Dedication" all over the Sunday News?.....Its cringe worthy.
:-s