What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$3 Note

IanG

Coach
Ever heard of such a concept? My grandad once told me that in his collection of coins and old banknotes was a three dollar note. Dunno if it's true or not but I've since heard the expression as fake as a three dollar note

Here's an example of such a lampoon
clinton.jpg

Stranger

Coach
An aussie penny from 1967 or 1867 can't remember which and to tired to think about it, is now worth about $4000.

IanG

Coach
Stranger said:
An aussie penny from 1967 or 1867 can't remember which and to tired to think about it, is now worth about $4000.

Hence why my nan wants to try and find out what her sovereign is worth

m0j0

Bench
Stranger said:

You might be thinking of a 1930 penny, although I'd imagine a 1967 penny would be worth a bit considering Australia converted to the decimal currency system in 1966. I don't think there is such a thing as an 1867 Australian Penny - I believe that the local mints were producing British currency until the early 1900's (after Federation).

I had a small collection when I was a kid which has gone missing many years ago. In it, I had a 1930 penny which my Grandmother gave me. I never realised the value of it at the time. Then again, there's a lot of fakes going around and I never had it valued, so I'm assuming it was just a fake anyway (at least that's what I want to believe).

antonius

Coach
I have one of each decimal coin (each denomination) since they were released in 1966, all in uncirculated condition. Some of the decimal coins are starting to gain value. I think it's the 1969 1 cent or 2 cent coin that's had a fair increase in value. I figure I'll get the set each year and pass them onto my kids, eventually there will be some in amongst them that will become valuable.

antonius

Coach
Knightmare said:
I have a round 50 cent coin.
A little known fact is that in 1966 there were actually two types of round 50 cent coin. The original was silver content, but it was found the silver content was worth more than the face value of the coin (50Cents) and it was being melted down over-seas for its silver. The mint recalled them all and re-issued copra-nickle ones. They are easy to tell apart the silver ones have a dull appearance. the Copra_Nickle ones have a goldy look about them.

madeline

Juniors
antonius said:
A little known fact is that in 1966 there were actually two types of round 50 cent coin. The original was silver content, but it was found the silver content was worth more than the face value of the coin (50Cents) and it was being melted down over-seas for its silver. The mint recalled them all and re-issued copra-nickle ones. They are easy to tell apart the silver ones have a dull appearance. the Copra_Nickle ones have a goldy look about them.

I think the round one I have is the original silver one I wonder if its worth much now?
Isn't it funny how a lot of people save coins for one reason or another :)

IanG

Coach
antonius said:

I did not know that. Interesting.

Wonder if there'll be comemritive sets this year with it being 40 years of decimal currency

I've got one of the 'silver' (as in real silver, not the colour) round 50's at home. Strange looking coin. As Tony said, quite dull in appearance. Also, for some reason, they sound different to other coins when tossed. They make a real high pitched ringing sound.

IanG

Coach
Here's another example of the fake $3 notes. Further proof that you can flog almost anything on e-bay
Khomeini-U-3.jpg

IanG

Coach
Then again apparently the Cook Islands actually issued a bank note of this denomination.
Cook Islands $3 Note
CookIslandsP7-3Dollars-%281992%29_f.jpg