What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30-16 New Zealand

macdad

Juniors
what a win! we havent won that many, but the milestone 100th test win is ours & something the oz boys cant take away from us.
how i saw it, first the criticism... sione & francis. while improving bigtime in 2nd half, had very forgettable 1st halves. it was tempting to jump over the rail, dodge security, just to be able to kick their rses or punch their heads so hopefully theyd wake up! sione in particular trying at every opportunity to throw the ball & game away, wheneva he had the chance.
one of big moments in game was when boys were out on their feet, tail first half as ozzy pummelled line. then, francis redeemed himself by putting superstar toopi away for his first try afta intercepting. had oz gone in there, would have been a big blow. as they didnt, kiwis came out in 2nd half with zing in their step.
Oz uncharacteristically butchered opportunities left & right in 2nd half & we nailed most, if not all of ours.
our pack was awesome. jason cayless improved the hell out of his grand final performance, & kearney will struggle to get back in so long as the hair bears are carving & fit! tommy L provided direction & snappy distribution which was lacking when he wasnt on. vinnie continues to front up like a one jarrod mccracken. clinton is 'da boyyyyyeeeee'. while nigel is no fittler or lockyer under the high, his kick returns in 2nd half were pretty good.
ozzies. in 4 words, 'no joey no win'. kimmorleys a good footballer but shy on the 'D', & doesnt operate well when scud missiles are heading his way from all directions. joey gets better in that situation. anderson, chris, definitely this time, has to cut that umbilical cord for good!
lots of 2nd half mistakes which helped our cause. oz also lacked a ball playing forward with vision like fletcher who just killed us in that first test. altho they had some hardnuts in pack, they were outmuscled bigtime, & in that regard they missed tallis. as for villaPANTIES, ozzy can have him!
beautiful win, & being there was the sssshhhhaatttt!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In-goal

Bench
that's a pretty good review, gee it would have made for great veiwing if you had of jumped the fence to wake the boys up. :lol: :lol:

Anonymous

Juniors
how i saw it, first the criticism... sione & francis. while improving bigtime in 2nd half, had very forgettable 1st halves.

Sione certainly started off terribly (especially on defence, he was largely to blame for the first 2 tries) but I can't recall Francis making a single mistake all day (and anyone who has read my posts knows I watch him very carefully), he had a sensational game. Toopi and Faumuina again proved that they are the worst defenders in the team, leaving Meli exposed 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 all day, and it was to his credit that he was at least able to intercept or knock down passes in critical situations.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
isnt this interesting, the match that Great Britain and Australia played their 100th match, Great Britain won 26-12 in 1988 at Aussie Stadium. And then last Saturday, New Zealand won the 100th match against Australia.

I wonder what the result would be in the 100th Australia/France match.

JoeD

First Grade
Well there is a little bit of a debate about whether or not it was the 100th TEST between the 2 countries. According to the ARL it was only the 87th or something. ARL apparrently don't count the SL tests (fair enough) but what gets me is they don't count world cup games as tests. Why this is I'll never know. Some of the great Oz/NZ games have been WC games. One that sticks out is the semifinal that went to extra time.

PB

Bench
A great game?! :?

It was great to see NZ win, and be competitive. But i couldnt help but think that for someone making their test debut like Minichello, that they would walk away saying, "wow that was tougher than NRl footy". It wasn't.

Don't get me wrong NZ played really well, and deserved to win, and i was more than happy for them. but look at Australia, apart from their poor skill execution, they were coached out of the game.

2 interchanges to half time!!! Most of these guys hadnt played footy in 3-4 weeks. I wonder why NZ scored 3 tries in the last 20 minutes of the half.

1 flukey try in 40 minutes with a wind, that appeared to have doubled in strength after half time, at our back.

Dozens of handling errors, and defensively, it wasnt just the bad missed tackles, it was the miss reads in defense that were 2nd grade stuff. I think Wenty would have put up a better fight.

Rugby Union would have been laughing!

The_Savage_1

Juniors
PB said:
2 interchanges to half time!!! Most of these guys hadnt played footy in 3-4 weeks. I wonder why NZ scored 3 tries in the last 20 minutes of the half.

that was wrong... we definitely made more subs than that, probably about 4-6

JJ

Immortal
But i couldnt help but think that for someone making their test debut like Minichello, that they would walk away saying, "wow that was tougher than NRl footy".

Wrong too - the Count wasn't making his debut!!!

macdad

Juniors
thierry henry... francis showed sing too much of the line, when sing blew by him then one hand fed devere inside who in turn found kimmorley down the inside, trytime!!!

also at the stadium live, francis drops back for kicks like hes lying on a beach in samoa. laxadazically! contrast that to sing & mini who do all that basic wing stuff with tonnes of urgency!

have to also acknowledge that a fair whack of Oz side hadnt played in near on two months... the non semi guys, + newcastle & brizzy players.
it was so unlike the Oz selectors to go for so many players that didnt play in the big one, or recently. (GF) knew wed give it a good crack! :lol: :lol: