What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30 Jun 04

oro

Juniors
30 June is nearly upon us; (1) which player is the No 1 priority to retain, (2) which players should be purchased, and which players are you prepared to lose to achieve (1) and (2)?

(1) Harrison
(2) Orford and Morrison (this is a business decision)
(3) Covell, Senter, Mears (if off contract), Patterson, Mears, Fitzhenry, Reynolds and Wilson (if other clubs can be found)

Farah, Galea and De Gois can cover hooker
Still need a top 1/2
Morrison has been the form lock for the past few seasons
Senter while a fine player, is near the end of his career.
Mears has been discussed in another thread
Patterson -no more needs to be said
Wilson - down on form the whole year
Covell - tremendous goalkicker but
Reynolds - not needed if Orford arrives
Fitzhenry - good player but a sacrifice might be required to retain Harrison or buy the players we need to win a premiership.

Your thoughts?

Gobbso

Juniors
Oro, does the name John Skandalis mean anything to you? He is the 1st player who should be retained before Wests Tigers even start to thinking of purchasing others.

bonstonker

Juniors
Gobbso said:
Oro, does the name John Skandalis mean anything to you? He is the 1st player who should be retained before Wests Tigers even start to thinking of purchasing others.

yep,start with skando,and now thanks

Albo

Juniors
I thought Harrison resigned last year.

From memory we had all the young guys signed for 2-3 years

Spike

First Grade
Albo said:
I thought Harrison resigned last year.

From memory we had all the young guys signed for 2-3 years

*Sends off friendly email to Knights CEO Ken Conway* :D

It's also obvious that the Tigers are not interested in Jamie Small, so we'll be more than happy to take him off your hands.

oro

Juniors
Gobbso said:

Sure, retain him but the solid player that he is, he won't win us a premiership without match winners like Orford, Harrison and Morrision around him?

Do you think the Roosters or the Broncos are sitting back not planning their purchases for next year?

I understood that the Tigers took up a one year option on Harrison last season.

brook

First Grade
I'm trying to ignore my hatred of morrison here but I'm STILL not convinced we need him.

We have 3 very classy up-and-coming locks in the club in Bronson, Collis and Degois

what we lack - and even with the young players coming through will still be needing - is at least one BIG, strong and intimidating prop.

I'm not sure which props are off contract this year but I would be looking for one real hard-head in his late 20's who will be able to stick around for a few years and help maintain some fear in the opposition while we slowly bring young guys like Brock Hunter and Mick Harper along.

Any club that DOESN'T go all out for orf needs help - he's all class (although I don't like our chances)

(and spike I hate to say it but if I thought jaime would get a FG spot at the knights I'd be happy for him to sign there - we need him at Balmain but he deserves a shot)

Spike

First Grade
Well we have Matt Kennedy, Matt Parsons and Adam Woolnough coming off contract at the Knights at the end of this year. I'd say Woolnough will be retained and Kennedy and Parsons will be released. Now along with Perry and Woolnough we need another solid prop off the bench and Small would be a great addition to the squad. Our props in premier league, Tolar, Tilse and Worth are still another season off from being ready for first grade. Also Harrison's utility value would be handy at the Knights with our consistent bad luck with injuries, especially Ben Kennedy who is constantly under an injury cloud. This is what I told Ken Conway in my email anyway.

Spike

First Grade
Why, has he indicated he's signing with the Roosters? Ricketson is getting old afterall ;-)

brook

First Grade
Well he knocked back a very good offer (more than he got with us) from union last year because he wanted to stay a tiger

I doubt he's had a huge change of attitude in 12 months :D

braz

Juniors
oro said:
30 June is nearly upon us; (1) which player is the No 1 priority to retain, (2) which players should be purchased, and which players are you prepared to lose to achieve (1) and (2)?

(1) Harrison
(2) Orford and Morrison (this is a business decision)
(3) Covell, Senter, Mears (if off contract), Patterson, Mears, Fitzhenry, Reynolds and Wilson (if other clubs can be found)

Farah, Galea and De Gois can cover hooker
Still need a top 1/2
Morrison has been the form lock for the past few seasons
Senter while a fine player, is near the end of his career.
Mears has been discussed in another thread
Patterson -no more needs to be said
Wilson - down on form the whole year
Covell - tremendous goalkicker but
Reynolds - not needed if Orford arrives
Fitzhenry - good player but a sacrifice might be required to retain Harrison or buy the players we need to win a premiership.

Your thoughts?

I believe fitzy, patterson, reynolds and wilson are all under contract for 2005.

Spike

First Grade
brook said:
Well he knocked back a very good offer (more than he got with us) from union last year because he wanted to stay a tiger

We'll start finding out in about 8 weeks time how deep that loyalty runs if he hasn't re-signed with the Tigers before the June 30 deadline. But if he is that loyal to the Tigers, I guess he'll want to re-sign before then.

Spike

First Grade
brook said:

We'll start finding out in about 8 weeks time how deep that loyalty runs if he hasn't re-signed with the Tigers before the June 30 deadline. But if he is that loyal to the Tigers, I guess he'll want to re-sign before then.

yappy

Bench
(1) Skando
(2) Ox, and the best damn Front Rower you can find (Morrison? As if Sattler, Graham, Galea, Fulton, Harrison, and Halatau aren't enough locks?)
(3) Senter, Mears, Miles, Covell (if he isn't going to be used anyway) and just about anyone else you can offload.

We are talking about Orford after all and you'll need upwards of $400k to prize him out of Melbourne if he's still on the market. Even if you can't get another hard man front rower and just used Skando, Payton, Gibbs, Lima and guys like Small and Cashmere coming through should give the Tigers enough of a pack that an Orford - Prince halves combo would be mighty damaging behind.

super_coach

First Grade
hey oro-the other guys are right-skando first priority.i think we have no chance on olford,my mail is,he only interseted in a one year deal and than will be captain of the central cost bears in 2006(he is a cental coast junior)
I also think our future is in our kids-forget morrison-get all the young kids signed up before easts come to the tigers yearling sale.We have more up and comming talent than any other club in the league.Would be a bonus if we could get a class centre and a 5/8,but we have been looking for them for about 2 decades now.go yah tigers,wear your heart on your slieve

Mighty Tiger

Bench
(1) Skando, Harrison, Moodie, Fitzy and Senter

Well I think Skando and Harrison put them selves into the list

Moodie I would resign provided he plays the way he has been for another season

Fitzy I think is one player that you do need to keep around the club, he can play in a heap of positions

Senter well his defence and leadership has been missing and I think he really is worth hanging onto for another season

(2) Orford, K Gidley, R Cross, Stringer, Palensena, O'Mealy, Tamata

Orford puts himself on the list

K Gidley I think is going to be the next really big thing in the game he really is growing into a great little footballer

R Cross well was a ball boy for the Tiges many years ago and well we do really need a top quality center at the club and he would offer a hell of alot more than what we have at the moment

Well the other 4 all props and all run hard, straight and fast something we really can't have to much of - sure we have hunter, harper and cameron coming through the ranks but they are a few years off

(3) Covell, Patterson and Wilson

Covell well I don't what he has done to Sheens but he does deserve to be treated better another club will snap him up and you watch he will be the leading pointscorer in the NRL and it WILL bite us back on the arse as well!!!!!

Patterson well the only thing I will miss is the ability to take the crap out of my most disliked pillow at the club!

Wilson well I guess last year just shows how good Fitzys short kicking game really was either that or Wilson has got Amnesia either way he really is lucky that we don't have great depth in the centers or else he would be another running around in PL

Also Bailey I really hate saying this but Brook is right, Bronson loves the Tiges and I think if anyone has a chance at signing him other than the Wests Tigers it would be union :(

oro

Juniors
Thanks for the feedback. I was interested in opinions on the subject from WTs, Magpie and Tiger supporters.

I forgot about Skandalis, and of course he is an institution at WTs. But Harrison represents the next generation and it is important for the club to secure him long term with Marshall, Lima, Collis and co.

The reason why I rate Morrision (as a footballer) is the recollection of his faultless transition from u/19s to first grade. He played a couple of reserve grade games for the Tigers (as I recall ) but it was a measure of his talent the he became a first grader so quickly.

cheers

yappy

Bench
I'd also seriously consider Joey if you can't get the Ox. His injuries are a worry, but these also bring him into more affordable territory. Two years playing next to this guy would be the best football education money could buy. Consider it a finishing school for the best of the combined young talent. Not to mention the mere presence of him in the team puts you instantly into premiership contender territory.

Skando though is the key. He ain't anything like the best Front Rower in the game, but he's the best the Tigers have or will likely have in the next two years. Lose him and it won't matter who the half is. I'd try and talk Marty Lang and Moodie into putting off retirement for a year or two as well.

Every other position on the park is not even worth considering. Keep Skando, get a gun half, and maybe add 1 more Prop (if only to make sure Sheens plays 4 each game) and what the Tigers have now should go a long way.

daslacker

Juniors
Do u honestly think we have a chance at getting joey?
No chance IMHO

But geez,I'd love to see that.
If he did come to us it would be the hardest offseason to
sit through.

Latest posts