What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: Aust vs Sth Africa @ SCG (2-6 January 2006)

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Willow said:
Lets have a look.Oh yes, your last post.... and the one before that.

Thierry, you can't spell humility without the u.
Beautifully lame don't you think? lol

When quoting me, why did you choose to leave out the rest of the post, which explained why I hadn't been talking cricket on those particular occasions?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I merely pointed out the contradiction that you're not talking cricket either.

Lighten up Thierry. I'm sure Australia will lose another match soon and you'll be on the world again. ;-)

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Willow said:
I merely pointed out the contradiction that you're not talking cricket either

No, you cut out the part which explains why I wasn't talking cricket on this occasion.

No need to ask me to lighten up, Twizzle is the one losing his rag with a stream of crude profanity in this thread.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Then again, I suppose never contributing anything constructive and abusing fellow posters is what makes him excellent LU mod material.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'm sure a law student on some deserted island somewhere would appreciate your line of argument Thierry, but to brutally honest, I think you're taking it all a tad too seriously.

As I said, chin up. Australia can't win every time.

ozbash

Referee
well done aussies, game that had everything.
sth africa should have won it easily but ponting and co never gave up.

game changed when gilchrist got stuck in yesterday ??

wouldnt mind the dvd :)

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Willow said:
I'm sure a law student on some deserted island somewhere would appreciate your line of argument Thierry, but to brutally honest, I think you're taking it all a tad too seriously.

As I said, chin up. Australia can't win every time.

As usual I have no idea what you're talking about Willow.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No surprises there Thierry. Never mind.

ozbash said:
well done aussies, game that had everything.
sth africa should have won it easily but ponting and co never gave up.

game changed when gilchrist got stuck in yesterday ??

wouldnt mind the dvd :)
I think one of the strengths of the Australian team is they have so many players fringing on either side form. One bloke might be having a crook match but another who was out of form will suddenly step up. It seems to happen a lot that the match-winning effort can come from anywhere, effectively forcing the opposition to do their homework every day on every player.

On this occasion, it definitely looks like Punter led from the front.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I agree that in any Australian side you generally have 11 potential matchwinners. However if you are referring to the "depth in Australian cricket" then I don't really agree, several of the second-stringers tried in recent times have been crap, especially bowlers.

btw Willow, as long as you continue to make random comments that make no sense whatsoever, I'll continue to have no idea what you're talking about:kiss:

Blaze

Juniors
El Diablo said:
Well done Punter :clap:

Tommy and Blaze will hate that :mrgreen:

Yep your right. Luckily I was watching the Lankans choke against us.

Kudos to Ponting though, he is a special player. (still a crap captain)

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
It's probably thoroughly unnecessarily for me to bring up this old debate, but fk it.

How is Ponting not in the same group as Lara and Sachin?

Blaze

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
It's probably thoroughly unnecessarily for me to bring up this old debate, but fk it.

How is Ponting not in the same group as Lara and Sachin?

Probably because the former hasn't been around for as long. He will be regarded in that top bracket by the time he retires IMO.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thierry Henry said:
btw Willow, as long as you continue to make random comments that make no sense whatsoever, I'll continue to have no idea what you're talking about:kiss:
You mean as opposed to your "LU mod material" snipe? If you have an issue in that regard, please feel free to PM me. Otherwise, it just looks like a random piece of SFA rubbish. Now who's not making any sense? Do they have a library on your island?:kiss:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Blaze said:
Yep your right. Luckily I was watching the Lankans choke against us.

Kudos to Ponting though, he is a special player. (still a crap captain)
Well he seemed to out play his opposite this series. The runs, and the results, are on the board.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Blaze said:
Probably because the former hasn't been around for as long. He will be regarded in that top bracket by the time he retires IMO.

There's not much in it though, Ponting has played 100 tests and has over 8000 runs.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Willow said:
You mean as opposed to your "LU mod material" snipe? If you have an issue in that regard, please feel free to PM me. Otherwise, it just looks like a random piece of SFA rubbish. Now who's not making any sense? Do they have a library on your island?:kiss:

It might look like a "random piece of SFA rubbish" to you. As far as I can tell it's one person's opinion on the LU mods. I don't think there's any confusion about that. On the other hand, I wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I can't help it if you have no appreciation for irony Thierry. That, and you crap on a bit... plain english I know, but thems the breaks.

Like I said, if the LU Moderating is a real issue to you, please feel free to PM me - as opposed to pedantics and attention seeking.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Irony? Your attempts to diss me with your razor sharp wit simply miss the mark on a regular basis because you seem to be incapable of staying on topic or saying anything relevant. Even if you are destroying me with your keyboard prowess, it has no effect when I don't know what you're on about, does it? I'd suggest more of the "you crap on a bit" stuff, that one almost made me cry.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yeah whatever... a few deep breaths and chill out if you can.

Meanwhile, here's a non-Thierry topic...

Ponting gives Proteas their dues

00015397-image.jpg

Ricky Ponting reflects on victory
©Getty Images / Cricket Australia

Australian captain Ricky Ponting has thrown a heap of praise in the direction of the South Africans after they went down with a fight in the third Test at the SCG.

Despite winning by eight wickets, Ponting believes the result is not a fair reflection on the toughness and competitiveness that the Proteas have provided in Sydney and throughout the whole series.

"Everyone's going to pick up the paper in the morning and see that we were 2-290 or something chasing today, and it's going to look like a very easy win," Ponting said after Australia achieved the highest ever run fourth innings run chase at the SCG.

"But we were a hundred behind on first innings and if weather hadn't intervened yesterday we could have been chasing close to 400 in probably four sessions of play which you're going to have to play very well to do.

"I think Graeme (Smith) would be very pleased with the way they've actually played. They've been very competitive and they've put their hands up and been really tough opposition, which is what they would have wanted to be when they arrived."

Ponting is now looking beyond the upcoming VB one day series to the tour of South Africa in March, saying that he expects the intensity of competition shown throughout this series in Australia to be prevalent again.

"It'll be a tough series. They've really tested us right through this series really and it's been a hard fought and tight tussle in every test that we've played really," he said.

"Even at different times in Melbourne, in the first innings there we sort of had our backs to the wall for a while and a bit of brilliance from (Mike) Hussey sort of swung the game in our favour.

"(In) Perth they fought right to the end, and even this game without the weather intervening it was shaping up to be another fantastic game, so it's been a tight tussle and we expect it to be the same over there."

Ponting believes there is still more improvement to come from his side, and noted that despite the fresh faces in the Australian team, the group has blended together well and obtained positive results.

"I think that we've still got a little bit of room for improvement in our cricket, and hopefully we can bring that out when it matters in South Africa," he said.

"Let's not forget that we've still got a few guys in our side that are pretty new to Test cricket as well and are finding their feet at Test level, but most of them have slotted in and done the job when required."

http://cricket.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=36156

Latest posts