What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 Nations game 4 - England v Australia

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bit harsh on the England pack given three of them never played in the 2nd half! Graham was by far the best prop on the field in the first half.
Sinfield needs to be at 13 or preferably on the bench.
Watmong usual grub self, knees to back during the tackle in first few minutes
Williams should have walked but no surprises he didn;t
Try should have been given and 18-14 makes a far more interesting game
Scoreline flattered Australia I thought

Joker's Wild

Coach
Bit harsh on the England pack given three of them never played in the 2nd half! Graham was by far the best prop on the field in the first half.
Sinfield needs to be at 13 or preferably on the bench.
Watmong usual grub self, knees to back during the tackle in first few minutes
Williams should have walked but no surprises he didn;t
Try should have been given and 18-14 makes a far more interesting game
Scoreline flattered Australia I thought

Despite the massive forward pass leading up to it? Justice was done on that one imo

hitman82

Bench
I thought Williams' tackle was pretty hilarious after his very public ranting about the Kiwi's dirty tactics. Very direct approach it was

RedVee

First Grade
you need to take an iron bar on the field to get marched these days, so I was not surprised in the least that it was a report only job.

MSIH

Bench
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/westwood-admits-to-acting-over-trex-hit-20111107-1n2d7.html

Westwood admits to acting over T-Rex hit
Ian Laybourn
November 7, 2011 - 1:09AM
Ads by Google

Free Forex Guidewww.GFT.com.au
Four Simple Steps to Making Your First Spot Forex Trade. Start Here.
PAA

England forward Ben Westwood has admitted to acting over the Tony Williams tackle that enraged coach Steve McNamara during his side's 36-20 Four Nations defeat by Australia at Wembley.

McNamara insisted Kangaroos substitute Williams should have been sent off for the high tackle that floored Westwood six minutes into the second half - but the second-rower himself confessed to milking the hit.

"It was a bit of play-acting," Westwood told reporters after the match.

Advertisement: Story continues below
"I looked up and started smiling, then I put the act on. It's part and parcel of the game."

Williams will learn tomorrow whether he will face a charge over the incident, with an international match-review panel to decide whether to press charges.

The Manly forward's chances of missing the November 19 final through suspension could be helped by Westwood's surprise confession.

When told slow-motion replays indicated Williams' arm had caught him flush on the side of his head, Westwood added: "Apparently so but I'm all right and I felt all right at the time.

"I'll probably see it next time we're in camp.

"If it was a high shot, I'm sure the disciplinary will have a look at it and decide what they want to do with it."

McNamara clearly believes action needs to be taken.

McNamara, who was convinced Perenara had been affected by Australia's criticism of Warrington official Phil Bentham after their opening match against New Zealand, expressed his disappointment that the performance of referees rather than players was once more the main talking point.

The controversy overshadowed an impressive England performance, highlighted by two superbly-finished first-half tries from Leeds winger Ryan Hall, which came despite losing three of their key forwards to injury.

James Graham and Gareth Ellis went off with back injuries before half-time, which forced captain Jamie Peacock to heroically return to the field despite suffering damage to his knee.

"I saw him crumble in that tackle and I knew something wasn't right," said Peacock's club captain Kevin Sinfield.

"But to lose three big blokes made life very tough for us and, for Jamie to put some strapping on and come back out like he did, just shows the warrior he is.

"He is our leader and playing for his country means so much to him."

England battled to the end and were rewarded with further tries by NRL-based duo Jack Reed, who continued to impress at centre, and Chris Heighington.

"We hung in there and put in a good performance," Briscoe added. "We obviously lost and we know we've got a lot to work on still.

"But we improved on last week and we'll improve again for New Zealand next
week."

Nice one. Send off indeed.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Carney was particularly good and fair with his commentary.

Roby, Tomkins, Reed and both wingers had very good games.

It was great to watch a competitive game and hopefully this gives the English game the boost it requires to continue improving.

Big Pete

Referee
Westwood is such a cat.

Thought he was foxing, think I pretty much posted as much mid-game. He did the Jarryd Hayne snow angel.

WireMan

Bench

Roughy at least quoted stats about the players (which were very close).

You laugh like a simpleton.

Nice one. :roll:

Yup, sending off.

Williams must hit like a big girl though. Full on closeline, Westwood lying on the floor laughing. Thats some big scary champions you have down under.

As for the game, i thought the mistake was not putting Carvell on the bench. Wilkin acts like a play maker for Saints, so why we needed him and Widdop on the bench i don't know. You need to conrol the game to win, and Sinfield did a very good job of this but the lack of size by the end made it difficult to keep up though.

Other than that, we have some good things to take from the game. The younger guys stood up well and they will only get better, and we matched the best team in the world for most of the game.

We have to back it up against NZ now though, or its all for nothing.

For the first time in a long time, we have players in the backs who can match up to the best in the NRL. Hopefully in the future some of the bright young things coming through the halves will be as good.

Thaiad24

Juniors
I thought it was a great test match. alot better than the last few years! once England get Burgess back to replace Heighington and Burrow back to replace Chase I think they will go good in the WC 2013

gUt

Coach
Chase was pretty good I thought, just didn't get enough support from his team mates.

The only send off offence in the game was Westwood coming third man in and trying to punch blokes from behind. Poms conveniently ignore the blatant send off offences committed by their own cowardly players, as judged by the whinging Hemmings was doing on the broadcast. Is that the most biased, childish commentry of a sporting contest ever? You could tell how embarrassed Carney and even the others were for him because they were trying so hard to be more even handed. Pretty much every time Hemmings started whinging (which was every 30 seconds) Carney was pointing out in his nicest possible fashion how pathetic his whining was.

roughyedspud

Coach
kermit-the-frog.jpg

ParraFan09

Juniors
roby not a starter?

interestingly roby's & cam smiths stats are almost identical,no errors, same tackles (39), same offloads (2)..with roby making more meters,down on his average though, and making more tackle breaks..

you'd have to say roby out performed cam smith slightly
Dont get me wrong Roby is a great player, and he had a good game the other night, But at international level he is more affect after the big forwards have smashed each other for 25-30 minutes, Roby's number one asset is his ability to take off from dummy half and catch a tired forward or 2 up the middle of the ruck, IMO it would be very affective against NZ. In saying all of this it will only work if the England pack play like they did in the first 2 games and make good yards up the middle.

I think your getting a little carried away in saying Roby out played Smith, The reason smith is so good is because of the little things that go unoticed.

Big Pete

Referee

I've seen this photo posted a lot and really I find it hilarious.

First off, it's from the Titans media. They have about as much credibility as skeepe.

Secondly, that was one frame they captured, Lockyer basically got up straight after the hit and didn't play to the whistle. The penalty was blown after a mistake from the Broncos.

Lockyer is one of the toughest players in the game and is one of only a few who in modern times will play on after a head high.

Unlike Jarryd who's a nancy.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Using stats. to compare players at the best of times is silly but to compare hookers is down right laughable.

I know you're fishing but in the end you're coming across like BunniesMan.