What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40/20 Rule

choc_soldier

Coach
Ghoulies said:
I can think of worse....

How about the one where if you bat the ball dead, and you had one foot over the dead-ball line you'd end up getting a 20m restart?

It just got milked too much (Peter Jorgenson was a pro at it) and I was glad to see it go.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
stoodamire said:
I remember in 97 when Craig Field kicked a 40/20 against the Tigers.....

Also Superleague use to have the scoring team kick off.

Thats definately the game I was thinking of, I remember when he kicked it and the feed was awarded to Manly. Everyone was confused at first.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
parra_panther said:
It just got milked too much (Peter Jorgenson was a pro at it) and I was glad to see it go.

Taking it away has cause an inconsistency because if it is on the full then it is a 20m.

Hass

Juniors
There seems to be some confused people on this thread.

Let me state definitively that the 40/20 rule was first used in the 1997 ARL Competition.

It was not part of Super League's competition at any stage. I am as certain of this as I am that Newcastle and Brisbane won their respective competitions that year.

As some have pointed out earlier, Super League introduced the 0 Tackle rule which at that time applied to kicks as well. Both rules were trying to adress the problem of fullbacks and wingers dancing along the sideline waiting for the ball to go over so a scrum could pack.

In 1998 when the two comps got back together the ARL's 40/20 rule was adopted as was a modified version of the 0 tackle rule ie. it no longer applied to kicks, but only to handling errors.

Cheers.