What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th ASHES TEST: @ Old Trafford, Manchester July 19-23, 2023

King-Gutho94

Coach
I would contemplate playing Green as an opener.

I feel his Defence is a bit stronger then the Bison.

And if he gets bogged down early it's not necessarily a bad thing as the first 2 hours is all about survival.

Leave the Bison at 6 to counter attack with Heady in the middle.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
The Big Show hit a better than a run a ball 80-something in County.

Neser’s side is batting, 2 days of barely any play so far.

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
I can't wait for this test but i'm worried if England comeback and win 3-2 i might spontaneously combust into a big pile of jizz

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
His side hasn’t bowled yet, but Neser came to the crease at 6/80 something, it’s now 7/193 and he’s currently top scorer with 70 off 90.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Neser still going on 130, just put 120+ run partnership with Swepson for the 9th wicket before Swepson was stumped by Handscomb for a run a ball 70

undertaker

Coach
Since his 163 vs West Indies at Adelaide Oval in December last year, Marnus Labuschagne has gone 21 test innings without a century (with only two 50s during that interval).

To put this in perspective with other Aussie batsmen from years gone by who endured media scrutiny during their form slump:

- Until he was dropped for good just before the start of the 2002/03 Ashes, Mark Waugh went the last 17 innings of his test career without a century (with only four 50s during that interval)

- Until he was dropped for good after Headingley in 2001, Michael Slater went the last 24 innings of his test career without a century (with only five 50s during that interval)

- Until he scored 129 at Edgbaston in 1997, Mark Taylor went 24 test innings without a century (with only two 50s during that interval).

- Until he scored 121 at The Oval in 2009, Mike Hussey went 28 test innings without a century (with only seven 50s during that interval)

- Until he scored 138 at The Oval in 2005, Matthew Hayden went 30 test innings without a century (with only five 50s during that interval)

- Until he scored 134 at the SCG in 2012, Ricky Ponting went 34 test innings without a century (with ten 50s during that interval)

Another addition: Although he scored a century at the MCG last year, that is David Warner's only test century in his past 40 test innings (with only five 50s during that interval)

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
To be fair in the early 00's to early 10's there was a lot more talent waiting for a chance. The cupboard appears pretty bare at the moment for top order talent.

Fangs

Coach
By the time the Ashes finishes Marnus will have played 20 consecutive innings overseas (India 8, England 12).

If he fails in the next home Summer then I'm happy to speculate on his spot.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
By the time the Ashes finishes Marnus will have played 20 consecutive innings overseas (India 8, England 12).

If he fails in the next home Summer then I'm happy to speculate on his spot.
The problem is he won't fail. He will fill his boots against the Windies in Australia.

I think this will be a thing in the future as test teams get weaker and so struggle away, you'll have more Australian players with bigger differences in their performances home and away.

Hopefully people will stop comparing Labs to Smith now.