What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th ODI: England v Australia at Lords Sept 12, 2009

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm a Watson fan (as much as one can be with Locky around anyway) but he really has to fix his technique against the straightening ball. He gets out LBW far too often

aussies1st

Staff member
I like Watson but this LBW weakness is effecting the rest of his game. He usually is so free flowing but now teams seem to have worked him out and hes scoring real slowly.

Bazal

Post Whore
I wouldn't say he's scoring slowly...maybe he's not as free as he has been but he's still scoring at a good clip. He just needs to fix that falling over he does to a straightening delivery, it's really his only weakness as an ODI batsman

aussies1st

Staff member
For me Watson is in there as the hitter so he really should be scoring in 90 SR minimum. And this LBW weakness doesn't just stop at ODIs, he will have problems in the Test arena as well.

Bazal

Post Whore
He has a lot of other problems in the Test arena, the LBW thing is his only real weakness at an ODI level IMO...

Paine gets his first ODI fifty off 60 balls, a good little knock

aussies1st

Staff member
Paine could have got a 100 here, he at least isn't scoring at the rate he was in the FRC which was under 60 SR. Just needs to reel it in a bit, he seems to go crazy after getting a start.

Bazal

Post Whore
Paine could have got a 100 here, he at least isn't scoring at the rate he was in the FRC which was under 60 SR. Just needs to reel it in a bit, he seems to go crazy after getting a start.

Probably a bit of youthful exuberance and excitement as well, really. He seems very level headed for the most part and plays some nice shots. I'm not convinced he's an opener, but he's been very good with the gloves and could probably make a very good fist of 3 or 4 in the future. I've been impressed.

aussies1st

Staff member
If we get a fast scorer at the other end then Paine would be just fine as opener. I don't know about him at 4, he struggles a bit to hit the gaps ala Clarke and 3 you would want someone like Ponting who can be aggressive but also good enough stabilize the ship.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think Paine can be a gap hitter and something of an aggressor with more experience. He plays the gap hitting role well for Tassie already, he turns over the strike and lets guys like Travis Birt do the hitting. I think at 4 with some experience he'd do a good job

lockyno1

Post Whore
Paine is a mould of Kumar Sangakara and that is where he should bat- at 3 or 4. He plays like Sangakara and keeps like him. Dead set so glad Haddin was not keeping- he would not have got that stumping!

Bazal

Post Whore
1-Paine is nothing like Sanga, completely different players in every way bar temperament
2-Haddin>>>>Paine
3-f**k up Locky

lockyno1

Post Whore
Not really. I know he is not as good right now but everything Paine does is the way Sangakara plays. He is an accumulator, so is Paine. Both are technically correct batsman and both are excellect keepers. Sanga is probably the best keeper in the world, not withstanding his amazing ability with the bat.

Haddin may slightly edge Paine with the bat (but not by much, especially in longer forms of cricket), but Paine is a 100 times better keeper.

Bazal

Post Whore
Sanga is not an accumulator, he is a genuine batsman with a great temperament. He can hit at a strike rate of 200 if he wants to. Paine, at the moment, is a good kid who can hit gaps and has his two go to shots (the cut and that flick off the pads he plays so well). His glovework is good, but not as good as Haddin at this stage and probably behind a couple of other Aussie keepers too. I have no doubt he's a future Aussie keeper but please get over the fact that he's a good looking man (or so my woman says)...

lockyno1

Post Whore
Sangakara has evolved quite a bit. I do suggest you look at his early test innings especially. He was an accumulator more than anything. He hit boundaries sure but his main role was to find the gaps and give the more attacking players the strike. His role has changed with the retirements of some of the players especially Jayasuria at the top of the order and he does score a bit quicker. But he is not a dasher so to speak. He is no more attacking than Michael Hussey is.

As for the keeping you are dead set kidding if you think Haddin is better behind the stumps! He let through how many byes again in the recent test series..we won't mention the record number of byes in India where Dhoni barely let through any byes!

It is not about looks, I know how well he looks. I am glad your girl likes him though!

Bazal

Post Whore
Sangakara has evolved quite a bit. I do suggest you look at his early test innings especially. He was an accumulator more than anything. He hit boundaries sure but his main role was to find the gaps and give the more attacking players the strike. His role has changed with the retirements of some of the players especially Jayasuria at the top of the order and he does score a bit quicker. But he is not a dasher so to speak. He is no more attacking than Michael Hussey is.

As for the keeping you are dead set kidding if you think Haddin is better behind the stumps! He let through how many byes again in the recent test series..we won't mention the record number of byes in India where Dhoni barely let through any byes!

It is not about looks, I know how well he looks. I am glad your girl likes him though!

Sanga bats as well as the rest of the team allows him, tbh. Sadly, Sri Lanka are inconsistent with the bat and can border on useless, so he has to temper himself and bat them home no matter how slow. But if you don't reckon he can thrash it when he wants to then you don't watch cricket. He's still the best off side hitter I've seen and stunningly powerful over midwicket as well. Paine hasn't got that in his game at all.

Haddin may have been out of sorts with the gloves, but to be fair he has been carrying injuries both in England and India. It wasn't that long ago people here and elsewhere rated him a better gloveman than Gilly...Paine may be better in the long rin but to suggest he is now is silly

aussies1st

Staff member
There is a reason why Tassie opened with Paine. They know he isn't the quickest scorer going around, his FRC strike rate was 56 from 9 games which is way below par. He does have a good technique but he has a limited stroke range and his lack of placement doesn't help.

And hes a long way from being a good batter, his consistency is seriously lacking, there was a reason why Manou was picked ahead of him for the Ashes. He has the talent but if he doesn't get his act together soon, Wade from Victoria could be overtaking him.