What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th ODI NZ vs SA

Anonymous

Juniors
kiwi knights fan said:
McSharkie said:
That six Cairns hit to finish the game was bloody big. Anyone know anything about that ground and how far he actually hit it. I don't particularly like giving praise to Kiwi's but his little cameo at the end there was a gem. I really enjoyed it. Styris was just swinging the bat like a cowboy, but boy does he have some timing. I'm looking forward to the next game. If the Kiwi's can win that series 4-1 that will be a nice shot in the arm for them.
I think it was something like 89 M to the rope could have been more

There is no way it was 89m to the rope.

Premadaser stadium is one of the biggest grounds in the world and it measures 75m all the way round.

I think most people would agree with me in saying NZ doesn't have the biggest gorunds.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
It was about 70-80 metres to that particular boundary rope. It wasn't as short as 50m.

Anonymous

Juniors
IanRitchie said:
It was about 70-80 metres to that particular boundary rope. It wasn't as short as 50m.

I'm telling you 80m is like down the ground without ropes at the Adelaide oval.

Iafeta

Referee
According to Sky the ground was about 56 metres to the side, 67 metres down the ground, and in the diagonal corners about 73 metres or so. Didn't see the hit, but Carisbrook isn't that hard to clear. Nathan Astle cleared point two years or so ago against England with a thick outside edge, it actually landed on the roof.

salivor

First Grade
During the coverage on Sky they used virtual spectator to show the dimensions of the ground and it was definetly 70-75 meters in the corners from the middle of the wicket and Chris Cairns hit it out of the ground to the corner of the ground. So you add another 30-40 metres to get out of the ground and it cleared it on the other side by a little bit and the shot was definetly over 100 metres. Remember those dimensions are supplied by the groundsman so they would be pretty accurate.

El Diablo

Post Whore
McSharkie said:
Well, it is one of the biggest hits I have ever seen.

Symonds one at the WACA looked bigger and a few have gone straight over the fence in Adelaide which is a big hit.

Iafeta

Referee
Mark Greatbatch to the long end of Eden Park off Tertus Bosch on top of the stand was a mega hit for mine. Any number of Nathan Astle's in his 200 also spring to mind. Also Cairns against Australia in Wales at the '99 World Cup where he deposited one into the river over the back of the ground.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I saw Chris Harris deposit a six onto the roof of the old north stand at Eden Park against Australia a few years ago.

Anonymous

Juniors
I saw the Harris hit as well although I can't remember what game it was. Wasn't it a cover drive?

Also, I hate to break this to you, but apparently TV 3 proved the other night that the Cairns six was a bit of a hoax. The camera angle made it look as though the ball went out of the ground, but actually it went very high and landed in the first few rows of the stands.

I actually heard the radio commentary of the shot and they didn't get too excited at all, just said "it's high and....into the stands, and NZ win" or something like that.[/quote]

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Well done Kiwis on wrapping up the series.

We look forward to next summer.