What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$5,000,000 for Thurston?

Panther Pete

Juniors
I just heard a report on the radio that Thurston has just resigned with the Cowboys for what could possibly be the biggest contract in history.....what other halves are on our list???

chrisD

Coach
I'd make a play for Townsend personally. Far cheaper risk than Williams or Widdop and in all likelihood still far better than Walsh.

My dream is
6. Johnson
7. Townsend
9. Coote/Sega

and it'd be cheaper than Thurston.

Last edited:

YoungPanther

Juniors
Disappointed we missed out but good on the Cows. I do believe in loyalty so glad in a small way that he stayed with them. Although would have gladly taken him.

Was more impressed that we actually had a shot. Can't believe we went after someone who is in the top echelon. Does give hope that we will now only buy quality and not what is left after the garage sale.

Has been a bugbear when you see the class players being mentioned for a move and no sign of the Panthers.

Kudos to Gus for at least having the minerals.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Sam Williams, Shaun Johnson and Todd Carney must now move to the top of our priorty list, I'd be stoked with any of these guys. Whiddup would also be a handy pick up.

maple_69

Bench
Honestly if 1.25million is close to accurate Im happy we wont be paying that to a 34 year old regardless of the cap going up for the next few years.
Johnson would be my number one priority now and then Williams. I think we really need to get one of those guys or the good team we're building is just not going to be a premiersholip team.

chrisD

Coach
Robson is just doing a job, with the team he's put together and the game plan he's running Flanagan is just happy with a safe controlling halfback he's confident will stick to the plan rather than a more creative ball player. I'd agree Walsh is as or more likely to create points than Robson but think Townsend is twice the threat of both.

soc123_au

Staff member
Well done to Nth Qld for keeping him, they took the gamble on him all those years ago so deserve to keep him. It will be interesting to see who we go after instead. I would like to see us give Luke Keary a shot. I dont know his current contract status though.

Really if we can get one creative half we will be ok. Walsh has a better than adequate kicking game & steers the team around pretty well in eighty meters of the field. If we can get someone to control the attacking 20 we will be good.

Big Mick

Referee
Robson is just doing a job, with the team he's put together and the game plan he's running Flanagan is just happy with a safe controlling halfback he's confident will stick to the plan rather than a more creative ball player. I'd agree Walsh is as or more likely to create points than Robson but think Townsend is twice the threat of both.

I'd agree with that assessment.

I think Walsh is better right NOW...but with consistent coaching Townsend's ceiling is very high.

Spitty

Juniors
I suppose the interesting fallout from this will be that we've shown our hand to every player manager out there now. We've shown them that we have the coin available. Hence every manager will now be hitting us up to sign whatever halfbacks they represent.

We may be in the unique position that we won't have to chase anyone, they'll all be coming to us. The down side of that is that everyone will be trying to get us to pay overs. They know we have the money, if we need a playmaker that badly they know they can hold out for a bigger number than they won't get elsewhere.

Latest posts