What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$5,000,000 for Thurston?

chrisD

Coach
I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of our financial position, but you'd have to think Thurston would be among the top 5 draws in the game as far as bringing money and exposure to his club.

Where is this belief that the lic. Club should pay as much to the football club as they want coming from?

I doubt that's going to happen. Especially with the increased grants from the NRL.

The lic. Club should continue to support the football club if it can though. The only reason the lic. Club exists is because of the football club.

Pomoz

Bench
The licensed club being created to support the football team was one of the things that was lost at the club. It started to focus on world domination as an entertainment group and lost sight of its purpose. Now the club is trying to reunite the two halves and make them work as one group with the aim of promoting league and the community of Penrith. The licensed club is the number one sponsor of the team and that is how it should be.

However, the licensed club can only provide the support that it can afford to and no more. It is not a bottomless pit of money. The licensed club has to be run responsibly and its directors have a fiduciary duty to ensure that it is financially sound. A duty that is enshrined in law might I add. How much it can grant is a subjective matter of course, but I would suggest that the directors will take great care ensure the grant is sustainable or they will be in breach of their responsibilities as a director.

darkbloom

Juniors
The licensed club being created to support the football team was one of the things that was lost at the club. It started to focus on world domination as an entertainment group and lost sight of its purpose. Now the club is trying to reunite the two halves and make them work as one group with the aim of promoting league and the community of Penrith. The licensed club is the number one sponsor of the team and that is how it should be.

However, the licensed club can only provide the support that it can afford to and no more. It is not a bottomless pit of money. The licensed club has to be run responsibly and its directors have a fiduciary duty to ensure that it is financially sound. A duty that is enshrined in law might I add. How much it can grant is a subjective matter of course, but I would suggest that the directors will take great care ensure the grant is sustainable or they will be in breach of their responsibilities as a director.

Actually if the licensed club did not have the assets that had been built up the whole thing would have crumbled.

Now they are simply selling those assets that were accumulated to keep in front.

The focus was on building those assets and lucky it was done.

No matter what spin you hear, the problems faced by the licensed club came from the irresponsible spending behaviour of the current board.

An extraordinary footballer. Worth every cent. Make no mistake. Gould is wanting Thurston to secure The West's Rugby League future as the Wanderers are now a massive threat to all Western sydney clubs. Forget The Giants alone in the AFL. If the Wanderers win the A League things will get very interesting in the code turf war side of things. They are a phenomenon really. Fanatical fan base getting bigger by the day.

Last edited:

BKB

Juniors
the Wanderers are now a massive threat to all Western sydney clubs. Forget The Giants alone in the AFL. If the Wanderers win the A League things will get very interesting in the code turf war side of things.

It's a summer sport, over before our season really gets going. Not a threat at all.

Big Mick

Referee
Agreed.

If Gould wants to be smart he'll link up with the Wanderer's and create an alliance.

Together they can cripple the AFL.

Offer a joint membership where you offer a year round sports membership.

An extraordinary footballer. Worth every cent. Make no mistake. Gould is wanting Thurston to secure The West's Rugby League future as the Wanderers are now a massive threat to all Western sydney clubs. Forget The Giants alone in the AFL. If the Wanderers win the A League things will get very interesting in the code turf war side of things. They are a phenomenon really. Fanatical fan base getting bigger by the day.

Oh please.

100+ years of rugby league in Sydney isn't threatened by one good year in soccer.

Some rugby league fans are amazingly insecure.

betcats

Referee
The issue has nothing to do with the grant, that will always be eaten up by player payments.

It has nothing to do with the cap because that is just a limit.

The issue is whether what you spend is more than you can afford.

It will be great if the club can be run without taking a grant from the licensed club but that is not what happens.

If the belief is that the licensed club should grant as much as is needed to the football club, trouble won't be far off.

How can't we afford the offer we made? Are you saying we cant afford to spend our whole cap even though the grant is larger then the cap?

I don't think the clubs financial situation is that dire that we cannot afford to spend our whole salary cap.

darkbloom

Juniors
How can't we afford the offer we made? Are you saying we cant afford to spend our whole cap even though the grant is larger then the cap?

I don't think the clubs financial situation is that dire that we cannot afford to spend our whole salary cap.

Top squad player payments are limited by the cap and are only one element of the operation.

The past year the group sold assets. Its EBITDA was down on last year.

In the football club. Massively increased football operational costs. Increased sponsorship revenue but the increase was eaten up by a huge percentage increase in sponsorship servicing costs. Total football club revenue dropped by around 12%.

betcats

Referee
Top squad player payments are limited by the cap and are only one element of the operation.

The past year the group sold assets. Its EBITDA was down on last year.

In the football club. Massively increased football operational costs. Increased sponsorship revenue but the increase was eaten up by a huge percentage increase in sponsorship servicing costs. Total football club revenue dropped by around 12%.

Total revenue dropped, fair enough, I am not sure if I am missing something here or mis-understanding something

Unless you are saying we cannot afford to spend our whole salary cap I dont see how we cannot afford the offer. Unless another Jennings situation occurs I would expect us to be spending the whole cap every season with the size of the grant, despite the financial hardships the club faces.

So if the club is planning to spend the whole salary cap next season and the offer is being calculated as part of that salary cap, how can't we afford it?

Oh please.

100+ years of rugby league in Sydney isn't threatened by one good year in soccer.

Some rugby league fans are amazingly insecure.

Open your eyes. It is happening. It is about the Juniors. Grassroots. Wanderers fans travel in their thousands to Melbourne and Perth. Denial is not just a river in Egypt is it! Where do Peneith fans travel to?

Open your eyes. It is happening. It is about the Juniors. Grassroots. Wanderers fans travel in their thousands to Melbourne and Perth. Denial is not just a river in Egypt is it! Where do Peneith fans travel to?

:lol:

The wanderers are up against 4 teams not one.

Junior numbers for soccer have always been high.

And soccer fans have always been fanatical. How's their tv ratings going?

darkbloom

Juniors
Agreed.

If Gould wants to be smart he'll link up with the Wanderer's and create an alliance.

Together they can cripple the AFL.

Offer a joint membership where you offer a year round sports membership.

The real smart move would be to create a western sydney alliance taking in the 3 codes.

The biggest problem is not the different codes, there is room for them. But there is not room for the number of teams in the one code.

The real smart move would be to create a western sydney alliance taking in the 3 codes.

The biggest problem is not the different codes, there is room for them. But there is not room for the number of teams in the one code.

An alliance with the AFL?

Surely you jest?

Not only are we in direct competition for the same fans , juniors , sponsorship & tv money but they have gone out of their way to be openly hostile towards rugby league.

Our code has been the dominant force in western Sydney forever , there is no need for us to make an alliance.

An alliance will only help the codes below us , it will do nothing for rugby league.

And there is easily room for 4 rugby league clubs in western Sydney. This is the heartland of rugby league were talking about here.

Bulldog Force

Referee
An alliance with the AFL?

Surely you jest?

Not only are we in direct competition for the same fans , juniors , sponsorship & tv money but they have gone out of their way to be openly hostile towards rugby league.

Our code has been the dominant force in western Sydney forever , there is no need for us to make an alliance.

An alliance will only help the codes below us , it will do nothing for rugby league.

And there is easily room for 4 rugby league clubs in western Sydney. This is the heartland of rugby league were talking about here.
I agree, although we already have 4 teams in the west - Canterbury, Parramatta, Wests and Penrith.

Latest posts