What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5/8th in 2007

MONY

Juniors
Hazy said:
Inglis is good, but he is still too young (physically - esp. if he did grow 4 - 6 cms this year alone) to play in the 6 just yet.

Yes - if you are good enough you are old enough.

BUT - you still need the 'toughness' that only comes with a (fully) mature body to play 5/8 at the top level.

Me thinks you don't know much about Rugby League :crazy:

Hazy

Juniors
Daley & Fittler both world class 5/8ths spent considerable time as centres before moving in.

MONY

Juniors
Hazy said:
Inglis is good, but he is still too young (physically - esp. if he did grow 4 - 6 cms this year alone) to play in the 6 just yet.

BUT - you still need the 'toughness' that only comes with a (fully) mature body to play 5/8 at the top level.

Greg Inglis - 190cm & 92kg
Preston Campbell - 165cm & 73kg

Inglis would be the biggest 5/8 in the game.

How much bigger must he be before he can play 5/8 at the top level.... 245cm & 136kg????

MONY

Juniors
Even Bellamy admitted he was wrong about his comments regarding Inglis being too small before Origin.

Todd Carney
Benji Marshall
Travis Burns
Jamie Soward

Are these guys too small to play 5/8??

Cant say whether he will be your first choice but Russ Aitken is similar to Scott Hill. His best asset is his running game but he can pass the ball if need be. I have always maintained he just needs to have some confidence shown in in making the step up to first grade which has only done by Chris Anderson debuting him ast 17 before he got the chop from the Sharks. Hopefully with Melbournes development record he gets this.

He was also Newtowns coaches player of the year in premier league in the 05 side that fell one game short of the grand final as a 19/20 year old so the talent is there.

Hope he goes well for you guys.

MONY

Juniors
Hazy said:

Rage

Juniors
It will be interesting to see where they play Inglis next year and i full expect to see him play 5/8 at some point during the season.

slightly off topic, he's only 19, do you ever think that he ever gets sick of reading and hearing everyone call him a freak? even if it is ment in a nice way?

Rage said:
It will be interesting to see where they play Inglis next year and i full expect to see him play 5/8 at some point during the season.

slightly off topic, he's only 19, do you ever think that he ever gets sick of reading and hearing everyone call him a freak? even if it is ment in a nice way?

I agree..pretty stupid tag really...;-)

Hazy

Juniors
Mony - again - where did I say Inglis was too small?

Inglis will be a better 5/8 when he matures into his body. Check out this link http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/s...under-the-radar/2006/11/12/1162661955406.html

The last few paragraphs quote Hugh Hazard, Bulldogs doctor.

"Veteran club doctor Hugh Hazard, an all too familiar sight for Williams in recent years, believes the 193-centimetre utility will shake his injury concerns as he becomes more physically mature.

"As he gets older he'll put on more lean body mass and get stronger and hopefully that will assist him," Hazard says.

He is talking about Sonny Bill but the reasoning is the same.

When Inglis matures into his body - he will be much stronger - and in my mind much more capable of playing 5/8.

The same goes for any 5/8 in the NRL - you have to be physically mature to play in the position.

Hazy

Juniors
Marshall, Campbell & Soward are all older than Inglis, hence they are more physically mature, they have grown into their bodies.

and big ger players like Sonny Bill & Inglis take longer to grow into their bodies.

MONY

Juniors
Well I guess we should just agree to disagree. Besides, the 2007 season is still a far while away. Imo, and many others (including Bellamy), Inglis will play 5/8 in the trial games and then most likely take up the full time position come round 1.

Latest posts