What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5/8th Options 2007

brokendigit

Juniors
With Baz off to Old Blighty, Brown has made it pretty clear that Gasnier will be wearing the 6 next year.

After watching Gasnier today, the question I'd like to ask is: can we really afford to weaken a strength, to strengthen a weakness?

Sure, we need a quality 5/8th, but do we turn the world's best centre into a (probably very good) makeshift 6, in order to compensate the loss of Barrett?

I haven't had the chance to watch much Premier League this season, but what I've seen of Richard Williams this year, I'd rather see him given a chance at 6.

What's this kid's future? I've heard good judges say that he can really play, but has had some discipline problems??? Is he signed at Saints next year?

Anyone have an opinion on Williams?

weasel

First Grade
I had an open-mind about the Gasnier experiment earlier in the year, but I've changed my mind. He's gotta stay centre. Hornby and Head will be a very good halves combo, I think. Then one of MacDougall or Morris (or Naiqama even) can be fullback.

Godz Illa

Coach
Naw I'm still keen to see him roam around the field, whatever number may be on his jersey. My backs would be Hornby, Morris, Naiqama, Cooper, McDougall, Gaz and Head, with Richie Williams phased in during the year off the bench.

_Johnsy

Referee
I would even consider Young at 5/8. great direct passing game, great vision, and has a workable kicking game. IMO worth considering

Dragons2005

Juniors
gaz is the best center in the world!
he wouldnt even be in the top 10 5/8th in the NRL
why would you take the gamble?
even after a full off season i do not think he would be up to it.
Yes let him have a roam around but for god sake when baz leaves give us a horny head show.
(7) Head
(6) Hornby
thats my thoughts.

Dragons2005

Juniors
And yes if hornby get hurt then use young as the second option for sure.
Young is a better 5/8 then gaz at the moment.
can pass long and short. and has a better kicking game to improve on that what gaz has at the moment.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Put an 'X' on his back and keep 'em guessing.

Richard Williams had another top class game in the reserves. He should get his opportunity in the firsts next year.

The Preacher

First Grade
Willow said:

Richard Williams had another top class game in the reserves. He should get his opportunity in the firsts next year.

Willow, did he get put on report for that "suss" tackle or was it just a caution ??:?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sorry Preach, I don't know. There's a couple of incidents I noticed, but I'd rather not say, just in case Rohan is reading.

Corkie292

Juniors
Willow said:

100% agree Willow. Each time I see Richie Williams I'm continually impressed. I'd like to see him blooded in the trials, Charity Shield etc cos I think he could be a revelation.
1. Hornby
6. Williams
7. Gimme

bornadragon

Juniors
No matter what he thinks he just can't play five/eighth. He is a centre, thats what he's good at - but there's another option... Chiming into the back line from wherever he likes... FULLBACK

Sir Biffo

Bench
If Gaz goes to 5/8th it would be one of the stupidest decisions Browny has ever made. Just because he is a g reatcentre does not mean he will be a good 5/8!!!!

With Ben Hornby in the halves we just look so much better than when its Gaz trying to throw passes he just doesn't have the skill or vision to accomplish.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Daley and Kenny made a successful switches from centre to 5/8. What makes you think Gaz won't or can't. Are you saying that Kenny and Daley are much better players than him?

They should give him a crack and if does not work out revert him back to 5/8. Nothing to lose.

He may even end up better than Kenny and Daley and we all know how good they were.

Sir Biffo

Bench
But with Daley, Freddy and all the other centres it was clear that they had vision. I just don't think Gaz has this, and I think he is far more destructive when he lines up a bloke, does his shimmy, makes him look like a clown and then can get an offload away to an unmarked man or go himself.

I hope I'm proved wrong though.

Latest posts