What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5TH ASHES TEST: England v Australia at The Oval Aug 21-25, 2013

Great ending.
Great day.
447 runs. Most runs ever on a final day of a test match.
Fitting for the series the end of the match came down to the umpires call.
Though they probably should have gone off earlier.

Great to see Faulkner rising to the occasion. Bowled great today. Honestly I can't see how he can not be picked for the return series.
Starc confirmed he is NOT test match ready ... yet. If we lost it would have been on a couple of bad, wayward overs from him.
I am not sure Lyon is a long term solution as spinner. He was largely ineffective today.

vvvrulz

Coach
I think Australia can take a lot of heart from this series despite losing 3-0.

Had it not been for rain and dodgy umpiring it could have been different. England deserved to win overall but the scoreline does not reflect the large parts of the series were Australia dominated.

Australia played positively and England by default disappear into a shell when in trouble, they're nothing like the 2005 team that took it to the Australians. Great to see the aggressive declaration today, England in that situation would have padded the ball away and taken the 3-0.

I expect a great contest for the return series.

JJ

Immortal
I think Australia can take a lot of heart from this series despite losing 3-0.

Had it not been for rain and dodgy umpiring it could have been different. England deserved to win overall but the scoreline does not reflect the large parts of the series were Australia dominated.

Australia played positively and England by default disappear into a shell when in trouble, they're nothing like the 2005 team that took it to the Australians. Great to see the aggressive declaration today, England in that situation would have padded the ball away and taken the 3-0.

I expect a great contest for the return series.

spoken like a kiwi mate, for 10 years we've been telling ourselves we've had sessions when we applied pressure etc etc

The umpiring had little to do with it, and all the declaration did was nearly give Englad a 4-0 win due to a silly contrived run chase....

I imagine the Poms will be more focused now, Cook, Trott, Prior didn't do much, and if someone had said to me they'd win 3-0 with those 3 contributing little I'd have laughed...

They have an issue at #6 which might see the return of Compton to open, unless Woakes can justify the spot - but with Finn, Onions, Tremlett, Panesar to add it's a solid unit...

The Aussies have problems all over the place - Harris is brilliant, Lyon continues to be good but get no love, and Siddle is a toiler... hopefully Pattinson comes back soon... overall the quicks are the one positive atm

But the batting is a shambles - they'll be better on truer Australian decks, but Watson and SMith are flat track bullies, Clarke doesn't seem to relish anything but #5 and is much mor comfortable at home. Khawaja and Hughes look horrible at times and would struggle with club cricket spinners, but Khawaja especially hasn't been give an extended run so his confidence must be minimal. Rogers and Haddin have always been good cricketers, but their age is an issue

Australia are a very ordinary team, wish we could play them at home on greenish wickets :)

Pete Cash

Post Whore
We would bowl you guys out for like 20 full strength. Last time you guys faced Pattinson your batsmen looked literally frightened.

undertaker

Coach
What time did the match finish at? Must've ended pretty late.

Also, doesn't The Oval have floodlights (remember the 1st ODI of the 2009 Ashes tour played at The Oval under lights)?

I agree, this whole "light issue" is one of many issues that needs to be one of the issues the ICC has to address

JJ

Immortal
We would bowl you guys out for like 20 full strength. Last time you guys faced Pattinson your batsmen looked literally frightened.

:blahb:

I think we actually won the last test we played against you...

Can't recall the last time we had a full strength team on the park, so that whinging doesn't hold water

Your diet of 20/20 means you have a team of flat track bullies...

Red Bear

Referee
spoken like a kiwi mate, for 10 years we've been telling ourselves we've had sessions when we applied pressure etc etc

The umpiring had little to do with it, and all the declaration did was nearly give Englad a 4-0 win due to a silly contrived run chase....

I imagine the Poms will be more focused now, Cook, Trott, Prior didn't do much, and if someone had said to me they'd win 3-0 with those 3 contributing little I'd have laughed...

They have an issue at #6 which might see the return of Compton to open, unless Woakes can justify the spot - but with Finn, Onions, Tremlett, Panesar to add it's a solid unit...

The Aussies have problems all over the place - Harris is brilliant, Lyon continues to be good but get no love, and Siddle is a toiler... hopefully Pattinson comes back soon... overall the quicks are the one positive atm

But the batting is a shambles - they'll be better on truer Australian decks, but Watson and SMith are flat track bullies, Clarke doesn't seem to relish anything but #5 and is much mor comfortable at home. Khawaja and Hughes look horrible at times and would struggle with club cricket spinners, but Khawaja especially hasn't been give an extended run so his confidence must be minimal. Rogers and Haddin have always been good cricketers, but their age is an issue

Australia are a very ordinary team, wish we could play them at home on greenish wickets :)
Is he? I think he has ordinary technique but he actually showed a bit of fight this series. Good player of spin, and has a good head on him (much of the time). Still very young but has shown a bit of patience is in his game, compared with Hughes or Khawaja.

I'd worry about him against the moving ball but I think he did alright this series.

I agree umpiring wasnt to blame, even if it was of poor standard throughout.

Cook is a shithouse, boring, negative captain though. In Old Trafford and, until we set a tiny total, here he basically stopped playing after a day. The series could've been more enjoyable had they not set up dry pitches across the country, which is also fairly negative when they're already the better side.

But well and truely deserved victory, too good for us particulaly in the first two tests (when despite being very close to wining we were largely played off the park in Nottingham, again thanks to batting collapses). Alot of positives in our bowling, hopefully they get a batting order right and stick with it in Australia.

JJ

Immortal
Is he? I think he has ordinary technique but he actually showed a bit of fight this series. Good player of spin, and has a good head on him (much of the time). Still very young but has shown a bit of patience is in his game, compared with Hughes or Khawaja.

I'd worry about him against the moving ball but I think he did alright this series.

I agree umpiring wasnt to blame, even if it was of poor standard throughout.

Cook is a shithouse, boring, negative captain though. In Old Trafford and, until we set a tiny total, here he basically stopped playing after a day. The series could've been more enjoyable had they not set up dry pitches across the country, which is also fairly negative when they're already the better side.

But well and truely deserved victory, too good for us particulaly in the first two tests (when despite being very close to wining we were largely played off the park in Nottingham, again thanks to batting collapses). Alot of positives in our bowling, hopefully they get a batting order right and stick with it in Australia.

agree 100%

Yep, I think Smith is - great eye, but I reckon there's a lot of quality bowlers who fancy their chances with him - in saying that, he's done ok recently... unlike Khawaja and Hughes, the latter surely must be discarded forever now, and teh former must be close - and clearly the selectors have little faith and are systematically destorying any confidence he might have

Red Bear

Referee
agree 100%

Yep, I think Smith is - great eye, but I reckon there's a lot of quality bowlers who fancy their chances with him - in saying that, he's done ok recently... unlike Khawaja and Hughes, the latter surely must be discarded forever now, and teh former must be close - and clearly the selectors have little faith and are systematically destorying any confidence he might have
I think it's the nature of his technique that bowlers will fancy their chances.

Think he'll be more of a 'form' player rather than a flat track bully - when he's in reasonable form he'll compensate for that technique and, combined with a decent head on his shoulders, be able to score some runs in most conditions. When out of form he doesnt have the technique to fall back on and, well, things could get ugly, makes it harder to grind yourself back into a decent position.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Can anyone imagine Cooky declaring like Clarkey did and giving the opposition a sniff ?

JJ

Immortal
Can anyone imagine Cooky declaring like Clarkey did and giving the opposition a sniff ?

TBH I wouldn't want captain of my country doing that, even if we were deperate... just don't see the point, trivialises test cricket... draw is better than a loss, and make no mistake, Aust were going to lose last night, and pretty funny seeing them whinge about the kight given their reverse carry-on previously - Clarke is a joke TBH

Red Bear, yep, think you're probably right - problem is, Clarke aside you don't have much in the way of consistency in that top order

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
wow

so much hate you are losing sight of your argument, we wanted to stay out there

but do carry on

JJ

Immortal
wow

so much hate you are losing sight of your argument, we wanted to stay out there

but do carry on

not my understanding, why would they be complaining about losing sight of the ball...

regardless, if they wanted to lose 4-0 congrats, just the spirit you want

This story is pretty clear

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013/content/current/story/665265.html

Got nothing to tdo with hate, it's to do with the childish histrionics that come from the Australians when things don't go their way - which is a lot at the moment :loL:

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
watch the replay or highlights of Clarke arguing with the umps about the light meters

sort of kills your argument

JJ

Immortal
watch the replay or highlights of Clarke arguing with the umps about the light meters

sort of kills your argument

ok, whatever, everything I'd seen and read suggests Australia (rightly) wanted off, and slowed the game...

I don't criticise them for that, just their petulance when the reverse is the case... must be my hate :lol:

Xfactor1979

Bench
Its interesting how quickly the series finished

It seemed like yesterday the first ball was bowled and england made a substandard total in Nottingham on the first day of the series. 7 weeks ago

It takes 7 weeks (49 days) to play the ashes (23 days of hard fought cricket- 2 days unused for australia's ineptitude with the bat in 2 of the test matches) but 44 days to play 49 one day matches for the 2015 odi 50 50 world cup? Turn it up!