What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

60min games

Shanky

Juniors
I have a better solution.

Add two teams have the teams seperated into two pools.

Pool 1
Broncos
Raiders
Titans
Storm
Cowboys
Knights
Warriors
CC Bears*/Central Queensland*
Perth Reds*

Pool 2
Bulldogs
Sharks
Sea Eagles
Eels
Panthers
Rabbitohs
Roosters
Tigers
Dragons

I really hate this idea. Especially because of they way you have broken up the teams. I understand you were probably thinking of letting traditional rivalries have 2 match ups a season, but what you have really done is made every non-Sydney team travel halfway around Australia every second week, while the Sydney teams might have as few as 2 games a season that they have to leave the state.

Canard

Immortal
What has Peter Parr done to deserve being on an NRL commitee? The guy couldn't run a chook raffle.

(By the way does ANYONE have chook raffles anymore?)

Jono1987

Juniors
Yep let's play 15 minute quarters so by the end of the 60 minutes typical scorelines would read 4-0, 6-0, 6-4 and the occassional 10-4.

Like the other intelligent posters, including Noa, we need less games not more! IF they were to reduce the amount of games I would at least be willing to hear arugments for playing the game in say, 3 30 minute periods. Ofcourse there would have to be a raft of other changes to accomodate such a change, such as once a player is replaced they can't come back until the next period etc.

aarondoyle

Juniors
I've put up with a lot from RL, but 60min games would probably do me. What a geniused f*cking idea.

Brutus

Referee
Lets just rewind the clock to when we had 16 teams in the late 80's, early 90's and 22 rounds worked just fine. Split rounds for origin is fine too. Gives us some footy to look at during the weekend. I couldn't give a f**k if all side's miss out on player each other twice.

If we expand the comp to 18 clubs then add another 2 rounds or so (whatever is required).

30 rounds is just plain stupid and the 60 mins idea would be enough to turn people off the game in droves.

Let's ramp up international footy.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I really hate this idea. Especially because of they way you have broken up the teams. I understand you were probably thinking of letting traditional rivalries have 2 match ups a season, but what you have really done is made every non-Sydney team travel halfway around Australia every second week, while the Sydney teams might have as few as 2 games a season that they have to leave the state.

Good point. I didn't think of it. But really teams like the Reds and Warriors have that many road trips anyway and the Broncos/Gold Coast and CC/Newcastle would have less road trips because they would have the game against each other every year.

So if you think about it how is it different to now? They still have 12 home games and 12 away and everyone gets the neutral venue. At the moment this is the same with one less game. And as the clubs are splitting the revenue, that would offset their cost of travel easily.

The beauty of the system is that the revenue will increase with more home and away rivalries and the length of the season will not blow out.

I would propose the season kicks off 2 weeks earlier and the origin series is played after a bye week. On the bye weekend other rep games would be played. Maybe a rep game with the best of the rest of pool 1 v pool 2 rep game or a 7's tournment or something else.

The finals format would also aid in the crowd numbers with the best two Sydney teams playing in the first week and the best two national sides as well.

This is the best way to run the season to give more fairness in the who plays who.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Lets just rewind the clock to when we had 16 teams in the late 80's, early 90's and 22 rounds worked just fine. Split rounds for origin is fine too. Gives us some footy to look at during the weekend. I couldn't give a f**k if all side's miss out on player each other twice.

If we expand the comp to 18 clubs then add another 2 rounds or so (whatever is required).

30 rounds is just plain stupid and the 60 mins idea would be enough to turn people off the game in droves.

Let's ramp up international footy.

Couldnt agree more

The other thing they brought up on the Matty Johns show was the scrapping of trial games because players get injured at the start of the season or player burnout.

I get sick of this argument every year with players get injured at the start of the season, boo friggin hoo. If they dont play trial games they'd probably get injured anyway. I think they either train too hard or train too much. Its amazing they just finish their season, then before you know they start training again a month later.

Webcke made a good point about taking games to the bush which is what they do for trial games. Bring back Tooheys Challenge Cup Id say.

And they also want to get rid of City/Country, again taking a game to the bush. You get rid of that and it'll be unfair for the people in the Country.

Do these RL officials even care about taking games to the Country, when they want to scrap City/Country and trial games. Fair dinkum.

Bring back Reserve Grade as curtain raisers for NRL.

Bring back Sevens footy.

I look back at the years 1993 and 1994, and think how great our game was.

applesauce

Bench
This guy is a looney.

I have a solution that will generate a heap of coin for clubs, a heap of interest from fans and keep the players happy.

Embrace the AFL finals system 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3 etc but..... Have a home and away finals series with tries being on aggregate (much like soccer) only if their is a draw in total points scored, away tries worth 1.5/home tries worth 1. The grand final is a one off game obviously though. Fans will flock to the finals just like they do now, it will give the clubs plenty of money and the TV ratings a boost, plus the players live for finals footy.

Shanky

Juniors
Good point. I didn't think of it. But really teams like the Reds and Warriors have that many road trips anyway and the Broncos/Gold Coast and CC/Newcastle would have less road trips because they would have the game against each other every year.

So if you think about it how is it different to now? They still have 12 home games and 12 away and everyone gets the neutral venue. At the moment this is the same with one less game. And as the clubs are splitting the revenue, that would offset their cost of travel easily.

The beauty of the system is that the revenue will increase with more home and away rivalries and the length of the season will not blow out.

I would propose the season kicks off 2 weeks earlier and the origin series is played after a bye week. On the bye weekend other rep games would be played. Maybe a rep game with the best of the rest of pool 1 v pool 2 rep game or a 7's tournment or something else.

The finals format would also aid in the crowd numbers with the best two Sydney teams playing in the first week and the best two national sides as well.

This is the best way to run the season to give more fairness in the who plays who.

Every team may have 12 home and 12 away, but the teams in the non Sydney pool are traveling 1000km+ in every direction to play their away pool matches, while Sydney teams get to drive to the ground on the day. Newcastle may get to play CC as a bit of relief, but if the CC was added to the comp as is it would be exactly the same.

Its not just about travel time either, the time it takes on a trip like that can knock the wind out of a teams sails. It also means for a proper preparation they are leaving days early to acclimatise which means time away from their families.

I can see what you are trying to do and I'm not totally against it, but I think logistically it just isn't fair and doesn't work.