What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7 days to save Fui

Parrasque

Juniors
Moimoi cops nine weeks
By James Hooper
September 8, 2005

PARRAMATTA'S premiership credentials were dealt another harsh blow last night when strike forward Fuifui Moimoi was suspended for nine weeks for a reckless tackle on Brisbane rookie Berrick Barnes.

The Eels prop was found guilty of a grade two reckless high shot from last Friday night's victory over the Broncos, meaning Moimoi will miss the rest of this season along with the opening of next year.

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald described the Eels as "very disappointed" over the ousting of Moimoi, suggesting the club might seek to appeal against the lengthy suspension today.

Despite a series of freeze-frame pictures submitted by Eels football manager Tony Zappia in Moimoi's defence, the three-man judiciary panel of Mal Cochrane, Royce Ayliffe and Darrell Williams still found in favour of the NRL.

NRL prosecutor Peter Kite told the hearing Moimoi forced the head of Barnes to "violently jerk to the left" but the Eels forward remained adamant about his innocence.

The Eels refused to buy into the fact the hearing was tinged with controversy because there was only one side on video angle of the incident available, robbing the judiciary of a front-on view of the tackle.

In an unusual occurrence, NRL prosecutor Kite was forced to repeat several questions to Moimoi after the Eels forward claimed he was having difficulty understanding.

Speaking in broken English, Moimoi said of the incident: "If I know I hit him on his head I would not come here."

Moimoi's attempt to get the charge downgraded failed but the club is expected to challenge the verdict by seeking leave to appeal today.

"The club is very disappointed in regard to the decision of the judiciary," Fitzgerald said. "We certainly don't think the case had been proven on the images of the video that had been shown.

"We're considering our options in regard to seeking leave to appeal."

The loss of Moimoi comes at the worst possible time for minor premiers Parramatta who are already missing NSW Origin star Nathan Hindmarsh with a knee injury.

Parramatta coach Brian Smith must now tinker with his interchange bench, one of the most effective in the NRL, leading into Sunday's final against Manly at Parramatta Stadium.

parra pete

Referee
For those who think Conspiracy? Cochrane and Williams former Manly players..Peter Kite..any relation to Brett?

Justice must not only BE done, it MUST be seen to have been done.
There is a stink about this one

Stagger eel

Staff member
parra pete said:
For those who think Conspiracy? Cochrane and Williams former Manly players..Peter Kite..any relation to Brett?

Justice must not only BE done, it MUST be seen to have been done.
There is a stink about this one

umm! well, they did find Hopa guilty and slapped him with a 12 match ban and accused and found Dunley guilty of spitting and gave him a 4 week ban, so you can almost throw the conspiracy theory out the window!! ;-)

strider

Post Whore
eelavation said:
umm! well, they did find Hopa guilty and slapped him with a 12 match ban and accused and found Dunley guilty of spitting and gave him a 4 week ban, so you can almost throw the conspiracy theory out the window!! ;-)

well they rotate the judiciary panel don't they, so maybe those guys weren't on the panel when those guys went up.

But tbh I think that conspiracy is a bit far fetched

Parrasque

Juniors
y doesnt fui say he has a health issue which makes him hit people in the head?

it worked for Dunly

Eelectrica

Referee
Physique said:
y doesnt fui say he has a health issue which makes him hit people in the head?

it worked for Dunly
We're trying to convince people that Fui didn't hit his head. That his arm way over the top and Barnes concussion is a Bronco Ruse so Fui Fui will be rubbed out for the finals.

Unfortunately for us Rusty Fairfax is the only one buying the story at the moment. If we keep trying though we may get more takers yet.

Utey

Coach
Why they bothered to fight it was a bit of a joke. Worth a go but he was never going to get off.

rowdy

First Grade
they played on his inability to speak english! how rude...

but yeah i guess it doesn't really help when hes been suspended for the same thing a couple of times before...

Eelementary

Post Whore
Can someone please clarify this for me?

Depending on who you ask, Moimoi is either a second-rower or a prop.

I always thought he was a prop that occassionally played a bit wider.

Anyway, that's not the issue lol.

Good to see we're considering the appeal - I believe 9 weeks is atrocious.

Utey

Coach
He can play both. I think he is twice as good playing wide but he gives good service up the middle.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Also, why do people insist there is no evidence that Moimoi struck Barnes' head?

Is this in the first, non-reported tackle?

Because on replays, one can clearly see Moimoi's swinging arm connecting with the upper side of Barnes' face.

rowdy

First Grade
Just curious, does anyone know when he came back from his last suspension?

Eelementary

Post Whore
<UPtheEELS> said:
He can play both. I think he is twice as good playing wide but he gives good service up the middle.

Yeah, that's what I thought oo.

Thanks mate.

He is a valuable player to have in the team. That much is certain.

Utey

Coach
Eelementary said:
Also, why do people insist there is no evidence that Moimoi struck Barnes' head?

Is this in the first, non-reported tackle?

Because on replays, one can clearly see Moimoi's swinging arm connecting with the upper side of Barnes' face.

Clutching at straws me thinks.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ah I see...

Yeh...I'm not too quick between the old ears tonight...

Because I believe the tackle he was reported for....It was fine.

But the previous tackle....He's done for.

Even though I think 9 weeks is pathetically idiotic.

rowdy

First Grade
its mostly the loading on all the previous suspensions i think isn't it?

Mal Cochrane and Darrell Williams on the panel and we are playing Manly this week.
How is that a fair hearing, should they of had to find 2 others who had no links to Parra or Manly? being a semi coming up.
Well they will have egg on thier faces on Sunday arvo won't they!

Latest posts