What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7 tackle re-start

ram raid

Bench
What do you guys think about this rule? Every time I see a 7 tackle restart now I'm thinking "is this really a good rule?"

I can see the logic for them bringing it in. Now that it's here I can see the logic for throwing it out.

One golden mean idea I came up with was a 10 metre restart instead of a 20 metre restart .. with 7 tackles ...

Thoughts?

nick87

Coach
I like the rule but it needs a tweak.
Grubbers inside the 20 shouldnt result in a 7 tackle set. Bombs and any kick from outside the 20, find and dandy, but it's really made the well weighted grubber a dangerous play to attempt which i dont like

lockyno1

Post Whore
Grubbers inside the 20 shouldnt result in a 7 tackle set. Bombs and any kick from outside the 20, find and dandy, but it's really made the well weighted grubber a dangerous play to attempt which i dont like

Then do what the Cowboys and Brisbane do- run the ball more. Meh, anything to stop kicking is good, if I want to watch a kick-a-thon I'd watch AFL!

Why do most sets of halves think that the only way to score is through a kick...run the ball and you can score!

Yep and one rotation of the ball can make a huge difference.

lockyno1

Post Whore
What do you guys think about this rule? Every time I see a 7 tackle restart now I'm thinking "is this really a good rule?"

I can see the logic for them bringing it in. Now that it's here I can see the logic for throwing it out.

One golden mean idea I came up with was a 10 metre restart instead of a 20 metre restart .. with 7 tackles ...

Thoughts?

Did this come before or after your useless halves in Cody Walker and especially Luke Keary couldn't keep the ball in play this week...:lol:

Get a better set of halves. Don't kick it dead. Run the ball.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Yep and one rotation of the ball can make a huge difference.

Then aim 3 metres shorter. These excuses for halves....they have had what 2 seasons to practice with this rule. How about they not be so useless and either keep it in play or run it! :crazy:

Charlie124

First Grade
Ive found it refreshing this year to see so many teams running it on the last instead of kicking and hoping for a result. The good halves can still get a repeat set or a try but this rule is stopping it from being such a low risk play. The bulldogs have turned the ball over on the last in the oppositions corner on several occasions this year and made them work their way out of trouble instead of just handing them cheap meters and an extra tackle. I like the rule.

nick87

Coach
Then do what the Cowboys and Brisbane do- run the ball more. Meh, anything to stop kicking is good, if I want to watch a kick-a-thon I'd watch AFL!

Why do most sets of halves think that the only way to score is through a kick...run the ball and you can score!

The Raiders are running it plenty on the last. It's not a big deal, but the rule was brought in to stop people kicking it dead on purpose to stop electric kick returners, not to punish teams trying to put in creative attacking kicks

lockyno1

Post Whore
Really? You don't appreciate a nice 40 / 20 or a well weighted grubber?

You could always watch touch football.

40/20's are fine. Mindless grubbers, not so much. I want halves to show creativity, not kicking the ball at every single moment.

ram raid

Bench

I like this idea but I feel like there are too many technical rules being brought in to make things harder to understand. The beauty of rugby league was always it's simple to follow ..

lockyno1

Post Whore
The Raiders are running it plenty on the last. It's not a big deal, but the rule was brought in to stop people kicking it dead on purpose to stop electric kick returners, not to punish teams trying to put in creative attacking kicks

Kicking it dead, is not and will not be a 'creative attacking kick'. Weight the kick better it isn't asking much. What do these halves practice all week? Raiders, Brisbane and the Cowboys have the right idea.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Kicking it dead, is not and will not be a 'creative attacking kick'. Weight the kick better it isn't asking much. What do these halves practice all week? Raiders, Brisbane and the Cowboys have the right idea.
:lol:
"Just kick it perfect every time"

PARRA_FAN

Coach

I like how teams are mainly running it cause they know by kicking it, going dead, they run the risk of defending an extra tackle the next set.

However, I thought this rule was mainly brought it for kicks outside the 20m going dead. Not knock ons over the try line.

Latest posts