What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$90m NRL sponsor in jeopardy

Esoj

Juniors
nfl make heaps off of commericals and that is partly why the game is so long. also a bet they make a fair bit of things like ea's license for video games and tv rights to espn etc.

this has just become one big mess and is made complicated by the relationship all the parties have in each of the court cases. surely telstra wouldn't hold the game to ransom though ?

Is it just a coincidence that there are Toyota logos all over the field in tonight's games? Maybe I've just never noticed before but from memory they often have more Telstra logos on the field. Although they often have midstrength or the one community or another sponsor depending on which day the game is played so it might mean nothing.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
When Toyota signed on for the under 20s comp, I believe that included Saturday ground sponsorship at NRL venues, similar to Carlton Friday and Bundanerg Monday.

Guarenteed Telstra accounts department is in Melbourne, and this decision would be coming from there. Have a look at all their bigpond advertising all AFL related, coincidence...

yosh64

Juniors
This is clearly bad news for league. NRL cannot afford to not have the money coming in. Its budgeted for. Plus any partnership is bad when they are fighting as telstra and the nrl are.

I have some legal knowledge. Nowhere near enough to give proper comment on this. And also would need to see the contract between them. But if telstra has agreed to pay nrl money for the naming rights, then they should be paying. Nothing has affected the naming rights. The only problem is in the internet, mobile media rights. So in effect they are breaking a legal contract to pay so much per year for the rights to have telstra branding over the NRL premiership.

In terms of the internet, telephony rights. Its a bit more grey. But at a basic level they should still be paying the NRL as the NRL is supporting them in their legal battle with foxsports and the NRL has done nothing wrong in terms of the internet deal. Telstra's battle is with foxsports who is on-selling footage to 3, optus and vodafone and also showing 2mins worth of footage on its website within 24hrs of the match. Something that telstra claims they paid to the NRL so they could have the exclusive rights.

The only thing i see as a reason for them not paying NRL is that they could claim the NRL is not doing enough to protect this exclusivity clause that telstra wants. But still what more can they do, they have joined telstra in the legal action against fox but can only wait till the matter is heard in the future.

Brutus

Referee
We have the Telstra Premiership for rugby league.

Yet Telstra's main commercial - "My dad plays for Collingwood"

aarondoyle

Juniors
KalgoorlieRed said:
If Telstra never pay up I expect every RL fan in this country to switch away from them.

If Telsta never pay up I expect every RL fan in the country to donate to the NRL. Money's got to come from somewhere.

Razor

Coach

Telstra are a sponsor for the AFL as well - just not their main sponsor.

nqboy

First Grade
aarondoyle said:
If Telsta never pay up I expect every RL fan in the country to donate to the NRL. Money's got to come from somewhere.
When I give money, I expect it to be handled in ways that I approve of. The NRL would not do that, half-owned by, and thus indentured to, News Ltd. I'll keep my money thanks.

Gibbo

Juniors
Brutus said:

In the Sun Mail yesterday on a page titled "Rugby League" in the sports section there was an add for Telstra. A full colour add taking up about a third of the page saying how Telstra Bigpond helps out sporting organisations in remote communities.

The sporting organisation in question? AFL Auskick. Considering how Telstra has withdrawn its funding from the ARL's similar 'Kid to Kangaroos program' i think Telstra's sponsorship of rugby league is a joke and the sooner they get the arse the better.