What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

91 v 03 v 21

tripster

Juniors
This might sound weird. But I look forward to having no expectation on us next year and being able to just cruise through the season finishing wherever we finish. After last year it felt like everyone was just waiting to stick the boot into us. So much pressure as apparently without a premiership you can't enjoy winning games and scoring tries.

I feel exactly the same way.

maple_69

Bench
Absolutely it will be great to be able to just enjoy the footy again. This past 18 months the pressure and obsession around the club and us rusted on fans has become palpable. No doubt its what got us over the line in all 3 of those games. They/we wanted it more, it was our time.

The talent in our top 25 or so is definitely good enough to repeat but it won't be the end of the world if we're just not as hungry and lose that slight edge. I can't see Nath letting the team drop their standards much though, that kid is insatiable. We also have the opportunity to evolve and become more clinical in attack with our spine getting more time together and more experience navigating the ebbs and flows of the season.

roofromoz

First Grade
Welp, based on our records, we’re due again in 2033!!!! :Starts planting grapes for the champagne for 2033:

I have actually calculated 2048, 27 years from now.

12 years between 1991 and 2003

18 between 2003 and 2021 which is 1.5 x 12

18 × 1.5 = 27, which will make it 2048.

God hope not. Realistically could win at least one more this decade, will be happy enough with that.

roofromoz

First Grade
Also, try compiling a composite side from the three teams.

Some positions almost have a clear standout (i.e. Wesser at fullback) but others is a nightmare, such as halfback (Alexander, Gower and Cleary).

Smug Panther

First Grade

Some positions almost have a clear standout (i.e. Wesser at fullback) but others is a nightmare, such as halfback (Alexander, Gower and Cleary).
Gower behind those 2 for me, was always really a hooker imo

Munky

Coach

Going on GF performance, the premiership season or overall contribution during their time at Penrith?

Whino

Bench

I would go Alexander, Cleary and Gower at the moment.
Cleary could overtake Brandy later on.
Always tricky comparing players from different eras. With the new rules bought in and the fastness of the game today, it would have been very interesting to think how Brandy (pre 92) would have gone.

Last edited:

roofromoz

First Grade
Going on GF performance, the premiership season or overall contribution during their time at Penrith?

Didn't think that deeply to be honest and it's a good point you raised. There's no overlaps, so overall contribution maybe?

Smug Panther

First Grade
Brandy is probably the most talented I've seen here. Followed by Freddy, then......Moylan but we it takes far more than talent alone

soc123_au

Staff member

1 Wesser
2 Rooney
3 Girdler
4 Fittler
5 To'o
6 Brandy
7 Cleary
8 JFH
9 Priddis
10 Lang
11 Puletua
12 Cartwright
13 Yeo
14 Gower
15 Geyer
16 Clinton
17 Clarke

18th man Preston

Coach Gus

soc123_au

Staff member
Might cop hate for this one but I think Luke Rooney is super overrated
It was a toss up between him and Critta and putting To'o back on the left.

Brandy at 6 is cheating a bit, but imagine peak Brandy and Nathan together, talk about a cheat code. It makes me dribble a bit in the pants thinking about it.

age.s

First Grade
Hard to do a composite side when so many of our current players have most of their playing time ahead of them. For example I'd put a fair bit of money on Burton being ahead of Girdler in a decade when we have the benefit of judging his whole career. Ditto Critter and Rooney.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Girdler will always be my favorite player. I will always value the 2003 win for that.

To be honest, I like both the 91 and 03 teams better than this one.

soc123_au

Staff member
Hard to do a composite side when so many of our current players have most of their playing time ahead of them. For example I'd put a fair bit of money on Burton being ahead of Girdler in a decade when we have the benefit of judging his whole career. Ditto Critter and Rooney.
Critta and Rooney is a coin toss now. Burton is gone, so his form from here is irrelevant for these type of discussions imo. Freddy made my team based on performances for us. If I was using career form regardless of the club then Lewis would be in my 17.

Black Diamond

Juniors
Not sure if this has been said anywhere on these forums but I really feel for Sauce right now. Poor bloke has been involved with 2 teams in last 2 years that got to GF and lost. He couldn't even get a shot at playing this year.

I know his form has been down but this bloke gave his heart and soul to our club over the many years he wore the Panther colours.

He's a good bloke and just feel a bit sorry that this is how it panned out for him

Latest posts