What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

94: LU Arsenal Brigade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca_

Coach
"One Team in London"

Slipped a bit in recent times, but not a bad record!

Draw continues excellent London derby record

After the 1-1 draw with Chelsea on Sunday, Arsenal have now only lost five of their last 50 London derbies in the Premiership.

Following the 2-4 home defeat against Charlton Athletic on November 4 2001, Arsenal went 35 League London derbies without defeat, eventually losing 1-0 at Chelsea on August 21 2005.

Here’s a breakdown of the last 50 matches.

01/02 season
1. Nov 17 - Tottenham H (away) 1-1 draw
2. Dec 15 - West Ham (away) 1-1 draw
3. Dec 26 - Chelsea (home) 2-1 win
4. Feb 23 - Fulham (home) 4-1 win
5. Apr 1 - Charlton (away) 3-0 win
6. April 6 - Tottenham H (home) - 2-1 win
7. Apr 24 - West Ham (home) 2-0 win

02/03 Season
8. Aug 24 - West Ham (away) 2-2 draw
9. Sep 1 - Chelsea (away) 1-1 draw
10. Sep 14 - Charlton (away) 3-0 win
11. Nov 3 - Fulham (away) 1-0 win
12. Nov 16 - Tottenham H (home) 3-0 win
13. Dec 15 - Tottenham H (away) 1-1 draw
14. Jan 1 - Chelsea (home) 3-2 win
15. Jan 19 - West Ham (home) 3-1 win
16. Feb 1 - Fulham (home) 2-1 win
17. Mar 2 - Charlton (home) 2-0 win

03/04 Season
18. Oct 18 - Chelsea (home) 2-1 win
19. Oct 26 - Charlton (away) 1-1 draw
20. Nov 8 - Tottenham H (home) 2-1 win
21. Nov 30 - Fulham (home) 0-0 draw
22. Feb 21 - Chelsea (away) 2-1 win
23. Feb 28 - Charlton (home) 2-1 win
24. Apr 25 - Tottenham H (away) 2-2 draw
25. May 9 - Fulham (away) 1-0 win

04/05 Season
26. Sep 11 - Fulham (away) 3-0 win
27. Oct 2 - Charlton (home) 4-0 win
28. Nov 6 - Crystal Palace (away) 1-1 draw
29. Nov 13 - Tottenham H (away) 5-4 win
30. Dec 12 - Chelsea (home) 2-2 draw
31. Dec 26 - Fulham (home) 2-0 win
32. Jan 1 - Charlton (away) 3-1 win
33. Feb 14 - Crystal Palace (home) 5-1 win
34. April 20 - Chelsea (away) 0-0 draw
35. April 25 - Tottenham H (home) 1-0 win

05/06 Season
36. Aug 21 - Chelsea (away) 0-1 defeat
37. Aug 24 - Fulham (home) 4-1 win
38. Sept 24 - West Ham Utd (away) 0-0 draw
39. Oct 29 - Tottenham Hotspur (away) 1-1 draw
40. Dec 18 - Chelsea (home) 0-2 defeat
41. Dec 26 - Charlton Athletic (away) 1-0 win
42. Feb 1 - West Ham Utd (home) 2-3 defeat
43. March 4 - Fulham (away) 4-0 win
44. March 18 - Charlton Ath (home) 3-0 win
45. April 22 - Tottenham H (home) 1-1 draw

06/07 Season
46. Sept 30 - Charlton Ath (away) 2-1 win
47. Nov 5 - West Ham Utd (away) 0-1 defeat
48. Nov 29 - Fulham (away) 1-2 defeat
49. Dec 2 - Tottenham H (home) 3-0 win
50. Dec 10 - Chelsea (away) 1-1 draw
http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?...=Draw+continues+excellent+London+derby+record

The Devil

Bench
Adebayor has really impressed me in terms of how much he's improved as a player. His dribbling and his ability to hold up the ball is simply amazing, reminiscent of Viera.

One gripe i do have with him is that he's too selfless a player and should go for one himself once in a while. The amount of times he was able to beat the defence and have a decent crack against chelski amazed me.

Also i'm not even sure he has a good shot on him.. His holding ability is more suited to a shadow striker or attacking midfielder role, though his lack of a shot (imo) could see him playing at central midfield ala Viera..

Just my thoughts

Macca_

Coach
Not to sure we'll ever see him playing midfield, but he has impressed of late.

It's funny, his lack of control on a number occassions has seen him bagged a fair bit since arriving at the club. But recently it's improved and his work rate is top class. Still only 21 so it's propbaby down to his confidence increasing.

Henry definately out till the new year - hamstring. Should just take a break and get 100%. His form before injury was that of a guy playing below 100% fitness.

Macca_

Coach
Toure back for Wigan game, Gallas and Rosicky nearly fit

Kolo Toure is the only addition to the Arsenal squad for the trip to Wigan on Wednesday night.

The centre back sat out the 1-1 draw at Chelsea on Sunday with a one-match suspension. With that served, Arsène Wenger has drafted him straight back into his squad for the long journey north.

Thierry Henry (sciatic nerve/hamstring) is still out while there is better news about the return of Tomas Rosicky (hamstring) and William Gallas (thigh).

“We have Kolo back,” said Wenger on Tuesday. “But he's the only one from Sunday. Gallas is still out, Henry is out but Rosicky looks very, very promising and has a small, small chance for the weekend. Gallas too, maybe.”
http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?...for+Wigan+game,+Gallas+and+Rosicky+nearly+fit

Macca_

Coach
In case it's missed in the man city fan club thread...

Macca_ said:
Can't help you out with that one.

However for any Gooners reading it, here's the link to the AASC.

Australian Arsenal Suporters Club - http://www.ozarsenal.com/ There's reps in various cities and there's a few functions organised each season.

Macca_

Coach
Arsenal 1 - Wigan 0

I thought we'd be a bit flat (4th game in 10 days) and after 3 big matches, but man that was a strange game. Neither side looked like doing anything in the first half. Second half was more open and we worked hard without creating a lot of clear chances till the later stages. Great ball by Cesc and Adebayor nets in the 88th minute. 3 points in the bag. We don't normally take too many in the north and ahead of xmas period it was a good finish to our recent run of important results. Now for Pompey.

We lined up with -
Lehmann
Eboue, Toure, Djourou, Clichy
Walcott, Gilberto, Flamini, Ljungberg
Adebayor, Baptista

Fabregas, Van Persie and Hleb on the bench with Almunia and Hoyte.

Bap still off the pace.
Looks like Djourou has beaten out Sendo who wasn't on the bench.
Walcott looked dangerous in patches.
Adebayor continues to impress.
Freddy looking past it...
Toure - Awesome!
Clichy had a good game with some nice crosses.
Lehmanns handling once again poor. What's doing...
Gilberto loving the arm band.
Flamini worked hard.
Eboue and Djourou were solid.

Fabregas came off the bench and made the goal with a brilliant pass after winning the ball with a perfect tackle moments before. He really has become the most important person in our team. You could see it change when he came on.

fish eel

Immortal
How did Josip play Macca?

Also, the dude that sciored today? Should I sell Henry and buy him for my sportal side?

Macca_

Coach
Josip was ok without being brilliant. Wigan sat very deep in defence for most part and looked for Camara/Heskey to hold it up for support.

Adebayor is getting better and better. His control sometimes lets him down but he's got a great work rate. He'll get plenty of game time over the xmas period while Henry is out and Wenger will most likely opt for him ahead of Van Persie if it's a game where we want to play a 451 like this morning.

Henry will be back in the new year sometime, so may as well trade him out. Big Ad is as good as any for the price you'll get him at. Although he'll go up after netting this morning.

How'd your punt go?

fish eel

Immortal
Macca_ said:
How'd your punt go?

I had:

Chelsea to beat the geordies
spurs draw with D Bucharest
rangers draw with partizan belgrade
leverkusen draw with besistkas

those uefa cup ties are all tonight.

I'm hoping spurs and rangers rest a couple of guys as they're already through.

But geeze, there is some real value in some of the uefa cup betting.

MONY

Juniors
Shall be watching the 2am game V Portsmouth on sunday morning. Should be a cracking game. If I cant stay awake, there is a 3:30pm replay on sunday after the mighty Atlanta Falcons finish at 3pm :D

Macca_

Coach
Got work xmas party on Saturday night. Most likely by the time I get home Charlton vs Liverpool will be on. Will be staying about for our game!!!

Macca_

Coach
We know his weakness though. He's a slow bastard now :lol:

Let's face it, we'll never be a strong aerial team under Wenger so our pace, passing and movement is what it's all about. Sol had problems with oppenents like that when he played at Arsenal.

Kiwishark

Juniors
Firstly, how alike do Kanu and Adebayor look!!! I've just been reading on the Arsenal website that they were both brought to England by Wenger and even wore the same number. Uncanny.

Secondly, i have long suspected that Franck Ribery will come to Arsenal, and it seems like it could be a strong possibility during this transfer window in January. I believe he likes the French connection at Arsenal with Wenger and Henry especially. My question is, where would Ribery fit into the Arsenal set up?

Phillips

Referee
Adebayor chose to wear Kanu's old number because Kanu is his hero

and yes they look heaps alike lol

i heard Nigel Reo Coker might be a possibility next transfer window..

Macca_

Coach
Kiwishark said:
My question is, where would Ribery fit into the Arsenal set up?
And that question is why he won't be coming to the club.

Reo Coker may make the reseves team if he comes Phillips :D

Wengers already said he won't be buying in the transfer window. We've still got some players to come back from injury too, there's no real need to buy. He's never bought for the sake of buying and won't start now.

And I'll say it again (I know I always do), but the vast majority of Wengers signings weren't mentioned in the media until they happened.

Ribery like Reo Coker, I suspect is simply agent talk upping the price of their men.

Macca_

Coach
Fair dink. Typical of us this season. Making all the running, a few chances and then we concede. And to another bloody set piece! Doubtful foul call against Clichy. Free kick was swung in, rebound off the post headed in.

Another one of those damn games where an opposition keeper decides it would be funny to p*ss us off by saving everything. Saved twice brilliantly from Van Persie efforts and once from Fabbas long range effort.

Getting frustrated at home again, plenty of work to be done in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.