What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

999 things we love about league

Bomber

Bench
It can be past, present or future.....

It can be a player, coach, club, administrator, fan, jersey, ground, grandstand, competition, book, song.....

It can be a moment forever encapsulated in your mind, or a dream.....

It can be at the NRL level, the international level, or grassroots.....

But it can only be the greatest game of all.....Rugby League.

The goal? 999 things we love about rugby league by the time Christmas comes around, then we might make an assult on the magical 2000 by the time the new seasons starts. :D

This is the kind of post that will either take off or get shot down in flames, but here we go....post as many times as you like:

1. The first State of Origin game, 2001
2. The afternoon sun on the outer at the SFS during September
3. The Charity Shield heralding the start of a new season

ali

Bench
4. 25000 Sydney siders all cheering for Russia as they went try for try with Souths at the 2003 world sevens.

hrundi99

First Grade
7. Jason Croker playing on a busted knee and sprained ankle because there was no-one else on the bench.

8. Ruben Wiki crying as Ken Nagas announces his retirement.

Bengal

Juniors
10) The Rugby League bible - Rugby League Week!

I still vividly remember seeing and buying my first RLW.

The year was 1979. The front cover had a colour picture of Steve Rogers and Steve Gearin on it.

Living in heartland rah rah country seeing that cover just blew me away!

The League jerseys were in a different league to anything I'd ever seen (i was a mad English soccer fan back then and ofcourse I couldn't get away from the sight of rah rah jerseys either).

The colour and the style of those jerseys along with all these strange, but really cool new team names that I'd rarely heard before (Balmain, Cronulla, Parra etc) hooked me!!

Back then there wasn't a magazine like it, certainly not from Union. Shoot (the soccer mag) didn't even come close.

Union has tried to to emulate the RLW formula, but it pales in comparison.

So its RLW for me that gets my vote as one of the 999 things I like!

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
11. Laurie Daley Farewell Canberra Game, where it rained the whole game, but the heavens opened and a rainbow appeared above the stadium

Bengal

Juniors
Raiders 2004 said:
11. Laurie Daley Farewell Canberra Game, where it rained the whole game, but the heavens opened and a rainbow appeared above the stadium

Yeah I remember that - good spotting!

Booyah

Bench
13. The mateship of our game.

People have made lifelong friends through our game.

14. The great memories.

There are trillions of them to talk about, but every league fan has countless 'priceless memories', whether it be Darren Albert in '97 or Last night.

salivor

First Grade
17. Allan Langer returning in Game 3 in 2001 for an emotional send off at ANZ Stadium.
18. The Warriors v Broncos game, Round 1, 1995, an era was born.
19. Steve Renouf's length of the field try in the 1992 Grand Final.

salivor

First Grade
21. Lockyers tackle on Michael DeVere in this years State of Origin series.
22. Lockyers 3 amazing performances in the 2001 State of Origin series.
23. Lazzo lifting up the trophy with one arm after the 1992 Grand Final.

Bengal

Juniors
24) Crossing Barriers.

People who ordinarily wouldn't have anything to do with each other are brought together under this incredible umbrella called Rugby League.

Bengal

Juniors
26) Fairytale endings e.g. Penrith (twice), Newcastle etc.

27) Intestinal fortitude - No other team sport is tougher!!!