What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9's world cup

milton

Juniors
A 2 day tournament would be the perfect opportunity for countries like SA, France or Canada to show that they are up for hosting a future World Cup

alien

Referee
Can't see why there couldn't be a Nines World Cup. It would only go for 1 weekend.

deal.with.it

Juniors
It should be feasible.

It wouldn't matter if Australia/NZ/Eng sent a rookie team.

It's 9s and our best 13s players aren't necessarily good 9s players.

the RLIF are actively looking at introducing a "world 9s"....its just a matter of when?

I can already see the headlines about player burnout... indignant articles about an "over-stuffed schedule hurting our brightest stars" by Phil Rothfield...

Though, I'm sure it can go ahead without Australia.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I can already see the headlines about player burnout... indignant articles about an "over-stuffed schedule hurting our brightest stars" by Phil Rothfield...

Though, I'm sure it can go ahead without Australia.

No need for that, just have the big 3 nations send rookie teams, would even the field out nicely too.

Yep, rational and proportionate responses to the objection. Sadly, the Australian RL media is neither rational nor proportionate in its reportage of Rugby league.

I have no doubt most of the media would react before engaging their brains - meaning they will ridicule and do what they can to turn public opinion against the idea.

paulmac

Juniors
I would like a World 9s to be held in Gosford on NRL grand final weekend ie Fri and Sat.Aus NZ & England could use their train on squads and the minnows could then attend the GF to experience how big rl can be.It would more than likely be something they treasure for the rest of their life, meaning RL would always stay with them.

edabomb

First Grade
This would be great if Aus, NZ and Eng were excluded. Without them it probably isn't financially viable though....

Titanic

First Grade
Why not? Start it outside of the mainstream to give it an exotic feel. I don't mean Hong Kong but it worked well for yawnion. Nanjing Nines has a pleasant ring to it but then again so do New York, Naples and Nadi.

edabomb

First Grade
Why not? Start it outside of the mainstream to give it an exotic feel. I don't mean Hong Kong but it worked well for yawnion. Nanjing Nines has a pleasant ring to it but then again so do New York, Naples and Nadi.

With the minor nations being so far flung it would be very costly to get them all in one place.

Nadi would make sense. Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, PNG, Cook Islands gives a good base to invite a few more teams.

dimitri

First Grade
Should be the Saturday / Sunday of the NRL Rep Stand Down weekend each year.

Friday night – Test match and City v Country

Sat/Sun – WORLD NINES

hutch

First Grade
Should be the Saturday / Sunday of the NRL Rep Stand Down weekend each year.

Friday night ? Test match and City v Country

Sat/Sun ? WORLD NINES

That weekend should be used for all rugby league nations to play test matches, not for a nines tournament!

deal.with.it

Juniors
Agreed ^
We already have the melanesia and polynesia cups.
Why not add the Asia Cup, Americas Cup and have the first round of the Euro Champs B.

roughyedspud

Coach
as i've said many a time over many a years...

we should kick off the "world RL season" with a RL jamboree..

FRIDAY NIGHT - WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL (1st ESL v 2nd NRL & 2nd ESL v 1st NRL semi finals would be the weekend before)

SATURDAY & SUNDAY - WORLD 9s

alternate the venue between down under & the millenium stadium (under the roof)

that way we get to showcase just about every aspect of our game in the space of 3 days..13 aside,ESLvNRL,internationals teams & 9's.

Latest posts