What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Grade GF this sunday

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Got nothing to do this Sunday? Head down to Shark Park for the local GFs. There is always a good crowd and plenty of banter.

http://www.theleader.com.au/2007/08/gymea_and_como_head_into_junio.php

Gymea and Como head into junior final
August 30, 2007 7:27 AM
By Brad Forrest
Toyota Park hosts the A-grade and senior-grade grand finals of the Cronulla Sutherland Junior League this Sunday, headlined by the A-grade clash between Gymea and Como Jannali.

Cronulla Caringbah features in each of the four earlier grand finals, starting from 9.30am, while all other grand finals are played on Saturday at Toyota Park and Endeavour Parks 1 and 2.

Gymea has 12 teams contesting grand finals, a club record, including the top A grade, featuring former NRL stars Colin Ward and Brett Howland, and the A Reserves. Former Origin centre Josh Hannay can't rejoin his former Gymea teammates as he has accepted a playing position in Wales.

Como thrashed last year's premiers, De La Salle, in Sunday's final after going down to Gymea in the major semi the week before.

For prop Hayden Garn, the match will see him complete his 26th consecutive season for the club, having started at the tender age of three.

Gymea's under 21s, who play in an inter-district competition controlled by the NSWRL which includes teams from Wests, Balmain, Easts, Souths and St George, also play at Leichhardt Oval tomorrow night against Coogee-Randwick.

Gymea's under 17s, co-coached by former Dragons star Graeme Wynn, are aiming for their fourth straight premiership. Former Sharks coach Stuart Raper is the assistant coach of Gymea's 15As.

Recommend this article to people you know

My workmate's son is playing in the Como-Janali's Under 12s on Saturday at Endeavour Field #2 and she is very excited.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
http://www.theleader.com.au/2007/09/gymea_the_best_slideshow_1.php

Main story

It was a case of "gorillas in the mist" celebrating into the morning hours, following a strong premiership victory by Gymea Gorillas in the Cronulla Sutherland Junior League A-grade grand final at Toyota Park.

More than 5000 spectators, including the Cronulla Sharks' NRL squad, attended the grand finals, which culminated in the Gymea v Como Jannali clash.

Como went in slight favourites, despite a major semi-finals loss, after a finals victory over De La Salle.

But Gymea shocked their opponents from the start, replacement winger Terii Matai go over about five seconds after kick-off.

With former NRL players, half Brett Howland and prop Colin Ward adding their influence, the Gorillas went out to a 20-0 lead before Como's speedsters, winger Hugh Worthington and coach Ben Ashby, scored good converted tries to bring their team within eight points at half-time.

Ward, the former Dragon prop who played his last NRL season four years ago (for Penrith), was targeted by his rivals and gave as good as he got, at one stage at the centre of a brawl and penalised on a touch-judge's report for a high tackle.

"A few of them [Como players] were not giving me respect. Then again, my head had to keep convincing my legs and arms to keep moving,'' he said afterwards.

Talented Como lock Clay Campbell got Como back in the hunt midway through the second half, but the side appeared to run out of puff late in the match, with Gymea's faster men putting on consecutive tries to ensure a 36-18 victory.

Gymea captain and second-rower Clay Child praised his players, coach Justin Bailey and staff for the team's first A-grade premiership in four years.

"And big Colin and `Whippet' [Howland] added that touch of professionalism that we really needed,'' he said.

The most relieved man afterwards was club president Rob Willis, the Cronulla Sharks media officer, who before the A-grade match had seen or heard most of the club's 11 grand finalists go down.

"I left them celebrating earlier this morning. They deserved it,'' Willis said.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
spider said:
cheer cheer the green and cheer the white.....
they were in good voice spider. They were still going into the evening and I could hear it loud and clear where I reside which is about a kilometre as the crow flies.

carcharias

Immortal
I saw Colin Ward down oztag GF's in Wynneis team on Wed night.
He must have had a few days on the piss...he was still going when I left when the lights went out.