What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A GREAT Article From Ricky Stuart

This is a GREAT article by Ricky Stuart.
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12602692-23209,00.html

The NSW coach could have very easily said "Let everyone play Origin", but he realises that for the good of the game this can not happen.

The part about Polynesian is very true. I lived in an area and went to school with alot of Polynesian players and for 80% of them, they either saw themselves as Samoan or Tongan.

Given the chance there is NO DOUBT that these players would play for "their country", but as it stands right now their choice is play for New Zealand...or play for Australia and make youself avalible for Origin.

I would like to see the ARL bring in this rule for Origin:

-----
State Of Origin Eligibility Rules
I believe there should be two rules to cover who can play State Of Origin football.

1. You should be a naturalized Australia and therefore eligible to play for Australia.

2. You should have played your first junior football for the state you have been selected for.

Anyone who does not forfil those two requirements should not be allowed to play in the State Of Origin series
-----

I would also like to see th ARL basically set up Franchised Test nations like Tonga and Samoa. Take over the running of these Test teams, give them a "Home" stadium in Australia where they can play games during the NRL season.

I would also like to see the ARL, NRL and NZRL look at an Origin style competition.....New Zealand vs the Pacific Islands. That game would have just as much passion in it as any State Of Origin game.

If we can shorten the season.....make State Of Origin and Test Matches stand alone events on their own weekend.....there is no reason why you couldnt have the State Of Origin running at the same time as the NZ vs PI Origin match.....and then when NZ plays Australia you could have Tonga, Samoa or even PNG playing on the same weekend.

Hurriflatch

Referee
I agree that the Kiwis should not be allowed in the NSW v QLD Origin

but in saying that the NRL should allow either a NZ v PI or North Island v South Island Origin for the Kiwis.

Yeah, they need something to aim for and I think NZRL could REALLY use that second level of rep football so the step up to Test football isnt so big.

I also think of NZ vs PI Origin series would eventually lift the standard of the Kiwi national side.

Lego_Man

First Grade
I am a New Zealander, but i still don't believe NZers should be playing Mate of Origin.

It's easy to say "Yeah, lets get the best players like Sonny Bill playing", but i strongly believe in the heritage of SoO - it's a contest between Queenslanders and New South Welshmen. Kiwis, Poms, or anyone else don't have a place in it - leave that for the International matches.

Test matches can be the equal of SoO, but for goodness sake keep the uniqueness of each.

ThrashViking

Juniors
The NZRL is putting proposal towards the NRL clubs to release it's top line new zealand players for a Auckland v The Rest of.. game or series.

The NZRL is also pushing for the ARL to allow Kiwis to play in the Origin series.

This makes be pose the question....how ****ing stupid are the NZRL?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
it was a joke watching Adrian Lamb play for Qld, he aint even an Aussie

Lantana

Juniors
I think Pearson is talking about SBW etc playing in the Australian SOO in the short term whilst the NZRL wait for the NRL/ARL to allow their SOO to get off the ground?

dazza

Staff member
nospam49 said:
The NZRL is also pushing for the ARL to allow Kiwis to play in the Origin series.

This makes be pose the question....how ****ing stupid are the NZRL?

thats what alot of us have been asking for a long time.

cheers dazza

ozboy

Juniors
I really think it is a good idea to bring in a combined Pacific Islands team which could challenge NZ in an annual SOO type event, and perhaps become the 4th competitive nation on the international stage.

I too grew up in an area with quite a few polynesians, and yet while all were either born in Australia and New Zealand they all considered themselves to be either Samoans or Tongans.

The only problem might be is that I do not think they got on that well with each other.

The ARL definately need to take an initiative for this to be succesfull, as basically they are the only ones who can make it happen.

This would advantage both the Kiwis, who will be able to prepare for matches against the Aussies, and the international game, which would see a 4th superpower nation join the mix and will also bring a brand of RL of which only the Islanders can produce.

You never know, 10/20 years down the track we might be able to see the likes of Samoa, Tonga and Fiji being able to compete on the international stage as seperate, stand-alone nations.

I really do think something has to be done, as for me Great Britain will never become that great RL nation it used to be and somebody else will need to step in and fill the void.

Latest posts