What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A hard act to follow

Frederick

Staff member
A hard act to follow

Robert Dillon | March 15, 2007

terenceseu_wideweb__470x323,0.jpg

Terence Seu Seu and his father Marty Lisiua.
Photo: Kitty Hill

Newcastle rookie Terence Seu Seu is a chip off an old block made of granite.

Seu Seu, 19, will make his NRL debut for the Knights as hooker in Sunday's season-opener against the Bulldogs at EnergyAustralia Stadium, and nobody will be prouder than his father, Marty Lisiua.

Lisiua, 37, is preparing for another season of first grade in the Newcastle Rugby League with Kurri Kurri and is still regarded as one of the most fearsome players in the competition.

The one-time bouncer forged a reputation as an enforcer during his rugby union days, representing NSW Country as a front-rower and propping up the Newcastle Wildfires when they played in the Sydney premiership.

He won a grand final with Eastern Districts in the Newcastle competition and became well acquainted with the game's judiciary.

Just three years ago, he was playing first-grade rugby union and first-grade rugby league on the same weekend.

And in 2005, he finally played alongside his son when Kurri Kurri plucked Seu Seu out of juniors to fill a gap on the first-grade wing.

"It was against Raymond Terrace - we ended up winning that game," Lisiua said. "I can't remember the score but I think it was pretty close."

The significance of that occasion was not lost on his promising offspring, who goes by his mother's surname after she and Lisiua separated a decade ago.

"Not many people get to run around with their old man," Seu Seu said. "We had a win and
we get to look back on that and have a laugh and a joke about it."

Lisiua said he had taken a low-key role in his son's development as a player.

"I suppose my main advice has been, don't make the same mistakes I did," he said.

"I always dreamed about being successful, playing professionally, but I fell off track a bit. I spoke to him [Terence] about it and said if he wanted to be a professional footballer, don't make the same mistakes I did. Focus on football and make the most of it."

As for his own career, Lisiua admits the full-time siren can't be far away. "I'm planning to retire at the end of this season but you never know," he said.

Knights coach Brian Smith is confident Seu Seu, who was born in Auckland before moving to Australia with his parents 17 years ago, will handle anything the intimidating Bulldogs forwards dish out on Sunday.

Smith's optimism is based on the former utility back's pre-season form, "torrid" character, and impeccable bloodlines. "I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Terence's dad yet but I'm sure I will soon . . . but he comes from that stock where he knows how to look after himself," Smith said.

Seu Seu was showing no signs of nerves yesterday.

"It's happened quickly but I've had a good pre-season," he said. "Smithy's taught me a lot and given me some chances in the pre-season.

"I felt pretty comfortable in the trials and it will be good to get out there and test myself when there are two points available."
LINK

I think there may be more to the article, as at the end of the one on the SMH website it says 'Continued page 40'. But this is all I could find of it.

roopy

Referee
This Dillion guy so reads this forum.
I posted about a chat i had with his dad in 2005 a week ago and how he was a Kurri firstgrader - and bang - Dillion looks him up.
Good on him though - there is a lot more to the story than i knew about.
He looked like a fit man - i would have picked him as no older than 30, but Terrance was 17 at that time, so i knew he was at least mid 30s.