What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A-League '11/12 :: Round 4

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Amazing match, amazing performance from (begrudgingly I admit) probably the best team the A-League has seen.

Sadly, the stadium was barely more than 1/5th full to see it. Roar have done a terrible job of retaining the fans that came to the stadium back in Feb-March this year...

Mong

Post Whore
Hopefully that kind of result will see some come back, although in saying that i am sure that was the lowest crowd of the three games and has come on the back of an unbeaten season to date so it may change nothing at all.

The marketing has been terrible as usual.

roboshark

Coach
as with most teams there is the core group of fans and then all ofthe bandwagoners when the team makes the grand final, or somethign out of the ordinary hapens eg beckham visit

i agree that roar deserve more but id say the 10-15k they get will be about it until gf time when all of the experts come out again

i hate bandwagoners!!

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I'm not privy to the stadium prices at Suncorp for the Roar, but maybe that might need looking at?

HowHigh

Coach
Could be the prices
For a team thats doing so well in a major city to get such low attendances something is up

Always say it but the A-League really needs at least a game of the week or something on free to air TV to get some more exposure

Mong

Post Whore
$24 are the cheapest, $21 concession. We usually sit in the Den so i don't look at the other prices.

Those same tickets were some where near $38 a few years ago i seem to recall

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Not as embarrassing as what Skilled Park charges - $27 plus booking fee for adults for the cheapest tix.

In other news, CCM not only off the bottom but on the edge of the top six now. Close competition apart from the Roar...

roboshark

Coach
fkn disgraceful....deadset there are 6 or 7 players in this team that wouldnt get a start elsewhere...and are not a-league standard

byun
kennedy...the worst keeper i have seen in ANY league
wheelhouse...striker, please...giving him the armband has been the 1st fatal mistake
haliti
jesic
elrich..thanks, but your time is up

if we dont get the chequebook out we will be in bottom 2 ( or now tinkler has the knights does he give a shit about jets)..and the roar to put another 7 past us...

perth will destroy us next week

give payne a run...couldnt do any worse
end rant

Jason Maher

Immortal
What an excellent decision to award a corner last night... :p

I do find it interesting the Heart are whinging about it. The replay showed their defender clearly had his studs up and made contact with the player instead of the ball. So they're right, it shouldn't have been a corner, but rather a penalty.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
fkn disgraceful....deadset there are 6 or 7 players in this team that wouldnt get a start elsewhere...and are not a-league standard

byun
kennedy...the worst keeper i have seen in ANY league
wheelhouse...striker, please...giving him the armband has been the 1st fatal mistake
haliti
jesic
elrich..thanks, but your time is up

if we dont get the chequebook out we will be in bottom 2 ( or now tinkler has the knights does he give a shit about jets)..and the roar to put another 7 past us...

perth will destroy us next week

give payne a run...couldnt do any worse
end rant
:lol: So we lose a game on the Gold Coast (where we've only ever won once I might add) and all of a sudden we've got a team full of pretenders? Please. Sure, I've been giving Kennedy the benefit of the doubt in recent weeks but two of the three goals you could probably attribute to him not having his wits about him. In saying that, it would be grossly unfair to lay the blame fair and square on his shoulders.

The first goal was a thunderbolt and even though it was on his near post, it still would have taken a bit of saving; the defence on this occasion was fairly average. The free kick that he spilt he's got to cop some of the blame for, but surely the onus is on the rest of the squad to react to a loose ball when it's there for the taking. The third goal again was on his near post, and he should have done better, but NTS was caught out of position and Kantarovski didn't lose the ball once in the middle of the field in the lead-up to it, but twice. He's also got to take some responsibility.

also...gve out
:lol: So one loss and we're sacking the coach?

All in all, a disappointing day at the office, we were made to pay for our mistakes, but we were also good in 10-15 minute patches; this has been the case for three out of the four games to date. Plenty of improvement needed, sure, but it's still only the completion of Round Four.

roboshark

Coach
surely you jest...its not just about todays game....this team does not possess the skill, drive, or brains to challenge...the above players have been ordianry all year, and in most cases well prior to this year...if you cant see that then i suggest you are not watching every game. We have def played well in patches but we arent sustaining it for 90 mins and with this team they are going to get found out by the better sides...the 4 teams we have played so far are not world beaters by any standard and tbh we should really be sitting on 2 points now as oppsed to 6

and as far as gve is concerned i didnt want him in the first place...he plays his favourites and apart from the passing game he instills, he is not what we need..playing wheelhouse who is recovering from a virus up front as striker...pleease what is that about. And dont believe his bullshit about having him hold the ball up. surely if this is what he wanted then Haliti could of done this...why not give Payne a run??

and yes i also realise it is rd 4 but if you cant see that there are some serious flaws that GVE cannot fix apart from going into the market then take another look

so much for the think big strategy of the HSG with the jets

Last edited:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
surely you jest...its not just about todays game....this team does not possess the skill, drive, or brains to challenge...the above players have been ordianry all year, and in most cases well prior to this year...if you cant see that then i suggest you are not watching every game. We have def played well in patches but we arent sustaining it for 90 mins and with this team they are going to get found out by the better sides...the 4 teams we have played so far are not world beaters by any standard and tbh we should really be sitting on 2 points now as oppsed to 6

and as far as gve is concerned i didnt want him in the first place...he plays his favourites and apart from the passing game he instills, he is not what we need..playing wheelhouse who is recovering from a virus up front as striker...pleease what is that about. And dont believe his bullshit about having him hold the ball up. surely if this is what he wanted then Haliti could of done this...why not give Payne a run??

and yes i also realise it is rd 4 but if you cant see that there are some serious flaws that GVE cannot fix apart from going into the market then take another look

so much for the think big strategy of the HSG with the jets
Ok so if they don't have the skill, brains or drive, how did they come from a goal down against the Heart, run on empty for the last 10 minutes against the Mariners and come away with the win and go 2-0 down tonight, but still keep fighting right til the death? With a bit more luck and composure, they could well have gotten a point out of the game tonight. That's what's lacking at the moment - composure.

Oh and did I mention it's only Round Four? Rome wasn't built in a day.