What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A-League a success???

Bumble

First Grade
Iafeta said:
Thats accepted in regards to IF they win the A-League.

Deadset, your comments make it sound like the A-League is as good as the Premier League. Its a competition in its infancy, with promise but with a hell of a long way to go.

How can't the Knights be classed the same as the Cowboys? Both were abysmal in their first seasons due to rank ordinary squads. Both have large geographical catchment areas.

"Its time the A-League was made of of [sic] only Australian clubs", fair enough, how about only Australian players, only Australian coaches and another failed NSL scenario? Lets get rid of Yorke etc, he's not Australian.

If the Knights fall into financial ruin, or within 3 years fail to show any on field ability, then I'd have no problem culling them. I just however don't fall into the category of failing to see the forest for the trees, there are advantages to the Knights being in the A-League which is beneficial to other Australian clubs and raising revenue for bringing in more Australian clubs.

But I guess I can see your point, cobber, fair dinkum digger it should be just be dinky die Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi, we've got to that fair dinkum World Cup thing, we are a fair dinkum soccer superpower, screw the lot of them, we're ranked 83rd in the world now...

That's ridiculous...I don't mind players from NZ aslong as no clubs are based outside of Australia...because I couldn't give a rats about the state of NZ Football. Sorry, but that's the way I feel.

Ari Gold

Bench
Bumble said:
Yeah I'm not a fan of the Warriors being in the comp either. Knowing that spot could be filled by one of the teams that got kicked out like the Bears or Newtown sucks.

Yeah cause Newtown and Bears are soooo important to RL :roll: We're really struggling without them..

perth sharkie

Juniors
The average attendance was just under 11,000, which was more than what the FFA was aiming for at the start of the season (10k average).

This is a good achievement by the A-League, could you imagine what the average attendance would be if the woeful NZ team wasn't included!

perth sharkie

Juniors
FFA Media Release
Wednesday 8 February 2006

HYUNDAI A-LEAGUE - FACTS & FIGURES (FINALS - WEEK ONE)

CROWD RECORDS TUMBLE– WITH MORE TO COME

Assisted by last Friday night’s record Hyundai A-League match attendance, the inaugural home and away season of the Hyundai A-League has concluded with an average attendance of 10,955.

The 25,557 crowd that witnessed Sydney FC’s Round 21 defeat of Adelaide United at a rain-sodden Aussie Stadium eclipsed the previous record for biggest crowd at any Australian (non-finals) club match, which was set earlier this season when 25,208 attended the same venue for the Hyundai A-League Round One match between Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory.

The Hyundai A-League regular season average crowd of 10,955 is a figure almost twice the size of the highest regular season average achieved by Australia’s former national football competition, when an average of 5,622 people was recorded in the 1998-99 regular season.

The 2005-06 Hyundai A-League regular season average crowd was almost three times that recorded for the final season of the National Soccer League (average 4,119 in season 2003-04).

The aggregate attendance for this season’s 84 home-and-away matches stands at 920,219. With six matches to be played in the upcoming Hyundai A-League 2006 Finals Series, the aggregate attendance for all 90 matches of the current season could reach 1,000,000.

Australia’s former national league recorded an aggregate crowd of 1,000,000 on four occasions: in 1996-97 (a total of 191 matches for the season, including finals), 1998-99 (191 matches), 1999-2000 (281 matches) and 2000-01 (223 matches). Out of these seasons, the least number of games needed to reach the 1,000,000 aggregate attendance milestone was 176 games in 1998-99.

THE FINAL FOUR – A FAIRER FORMAT

A historical analysis of Australia’s major football competitions reveals that the top four finals system provides the best opportunity for the team which finished on top in the regular season – the “Premiers” in the case of the Hyundai A-League – to feature in the grand final. The top four system has also proved to be the most favoured format for the Premiers to win the grand final.

The top four format to be used for the Hyundai A-League 2006 Finals Series was used in the country’s major Australian Rules competition from 1931 to 1971, and in rugby league’s major national competition from 1954 to 1972.

Since the early 1970s, these two competitions increased the number of teams in its finals series - with both competitions now operating under a top eight system.

The finals system initially adopted by Australia’s former national football league in 1984 was a top five system, which later expanded to top six.

In each of these systems, the “Premier” team (that team which finished first in the regular season) was highly likely to reach the grand final that season, with the top four system providing the best opportunity. Considering all of the above-mentioned competitions:

- under the top FOUR system, the “Premier” team reached the grand final 90 per cent of the time;

- under the top FIVE/SIX system, the “Premier” team reached the grand final 79 per cent of the time;

- under the top EIGHT system, the “Premier” team reached the grand final 67 per cent of the time.

A similar pattern exists for the grand final winners; the best opportunity for the Premiers to take out the ultimate season prize – the grand final victory – has come under a top four system:

- under the top FOUR system, the “Premier” team won the grand final 60 per cent of the time;

- under the top FIVE or SIX system, the “Premier” team won the grand final 43 per cent of the time;

- under the top EIGHT system, the “Premier” team won the grand final 33 per cent of the time.

Considering all of these finals systems in all of these football codes, the “Premier” team eventually reached the grand final 82 per cent of the time, and won the grand final 48 per cent of the time.

MATCH STATS - TEAM AND PLAYER ANALYSIS

Match statistics collected by Sportsdata – the Hyundai A-League’s official statistician – provide an interesting and unprecedented insight into the different approaches used by, and strengths and weakness of, each of the eight Hyundai A-League clubs over the course of the completed 2005-06 regular season.

Goals scored: Central Coast Mariners and Sydney FC scored the most goals (35 each), while the New Zealand Knights scored the least (15). The league’s top scoring players are Alex Brosque (QR), Bobby Despotovski (PG), Stewart Petrie (CCM) and Archie Thompson (MV), with eight goals each.

Shots on target: Queensland Roar had the most shots on target (203), while the New Zealand Knights had the least (117). Alex Brosque (QR) had the most shots on target of any player (51).

Shots from inside the box: Melbourne Victory relied most on shooting from within the penalty box (80 shots) while Sydney FC relied least on such shots (5. Daniel Allsopp (MV) had the most shots from inside the box of any player (27).

Corners: Adelaide United took the most corner kicks (123), while Newcastle Jets took the least (92). Shengqing Qu (AU) took the most corners of any player (75).

Goals conceded: Queensland Roar conceded the least goals (22), while New Zealand Knights conceded the most (47). Danny Milosevic (NZK) was the goalkeeper who conceded the most goals (32).

Crosses: Sydney FC crossed the ball the most (419 crosses), while Newcastle Jets crossed the least (271). David Carney (SFC) was the player that crossed the ball the most number of times (101).

Passes: Sydney FC relied most on passing the ball (6,198 completed passes) while Adelaide passed the least (3,860 completed passes). Hyuk-Su Seo (QR) completed the most passes of any player (781 completed passes).

Tackles: New Zealand Knights (545 effective tackles) successfully completed the most tackles, while Perth Glory (462) tackled the least. Hyuk-Su Seo (QR) made the most effective tackles (86).

Fouls awarded: Melbourne Victory were victims of the most fouls (346), while Newcastle Jets were awarded the least (268). Zenon Caravella (NZK) was the player fouled the most often (61).

Fouls conceded: Queensland Roar conceded the most fouls (333), while Perth Glory conceded the least (259). Stewart Petrie (CCM) conceded the most fouls of any player (54).

Off-sides: Adelaide United caught its opposition out off-side the most number of times (133), while Newcastle’s opposition was caught off-side the least (34). Interestingly Adelaide’s tally of off-sides ‘won’ was well ahead of the next best team (Central Coast Mariners, 100 off-sides won) and almost twice the amount of the third-ranked team (Sydney FC, 76 off-sides won).

Off-sides conceded: New Zealand Knights were called off-side the most number of times (83), while Adelaide United was called off-side the least (4. Damian Mori (PG) was the player called off-side the most often (32).

Penalties won: Melbourne Victory was awarded the most penalties (6), while Queensland Roar was the only team which was not awarded a penalty.

Penalties conceded: New Zealand Knights conceded the most penalties (6), while Adelaide and Newcastle conceded the least (1 each).

Bumble

First Grade
robyalvaro said:
Yeah cause Newtown and Bears are soooo important to RL :roll: We're really struggling without them..

Oh and we'd be struggling without the Warriors?

Iafeta

Referee
Bumble said:
Yeah I'm not a fan of the Warriors being in the comp either. Knowing that spot could be filled by one of the teams that got kicked out like the Bears or Newtown sucks.

That's just hearsay. We were cut because the NRL didn't like us...we did rather well ON THE FIELD in 1999...finishing above some teams such as the Warriors..:oops:

Bumble, I was against Souths being cut, as I was North Sydney and Gold Coast. IMO, that was wrong, and horrifically short sighted.

I'm for controlled growth in the A-League, I've got no doubt if this success carries on that within 2-3 years Canberra and the like will start to come into our competition. It will not just be reliant on teams success or otherwise, it will centre on financial stability IMO. That is the reason the Knights exist, IMO, to give sponsors a wider and more attractive market to play with when supporting the A-League, which in turn creates the finances to build the franchises.

Iafeta

Referee
Bumble said:
Oh and we'd be struggling without the Warriors?

Possibly. Depends what you want in League. Tri-Nations success may not have happened if a fair few players weren't blooded through the Warriors and instead turned their attention to union.

You could be short sighted, ala the administration in regards to cutting Souths, Norths, Gold Coast or you could focus on what positives their presence brings.

Iafeta

Referee
Bumble said:
That's ridiculous...I don't mind players from NZ aslong as no clubs are based outside of Australia...because I couldn't give a rats about the state of NZ Football. Sorry, but that's the way I feel.

So if you're only worried about the state of Australian football, then why have outside players/coaches?

Shouldn't all your spots be taken up by Australians only if thats your view?

Kind of contradictory to what you're saying really.

Iafeta

Referee
perth sharkie said:
They still are, and a lot of people still want them out of the NRL.

Which IMO is narrow-minded.

They aren't successful right now, but history to me shows somewhere entrenched in their fabric is the blueprint to success.

Bumble

First Grade
Iafeta said:
So if you're only worried about the state of Australian football, then why have outside players/coaches?

Shouldn't all your spots be taken up by Australians only if thats your view?

Kind of contradictory to what you're saying really.

Ok What I mean is...I don't care about the promotion of football in New Zealand...by all means the Knights can stay if we add more teams in but if it was a question of Canberra or NZ I would say Canberra hands down.

bender

Juniors
Bumble said:
Ok What I mean is...I don't care about the promotion of football in New Zealand...by all means the Knights can stay if we add more teams in but if it was a question of Canberra or NZ I would say Canberra hands down.

You dont think that the NZ paytv market and sponsorship market will bring in more $$$ for the other teams than the Canberra market.

Are the Knights going any worse, off the field than Canberra went in their last NSL Season?

Iafeta

Referee
Bumble said:

Firstly, we'd need to see both Canberra and the Knights license proposals that they should have had to put to the A-League before casting any real assumptions. Lowy/O'Neil etc aren't idiots, they're highly successful businessmen so their must have been reasons why Canberra weren't admitted ahead of New Zealand.

Secondly, as I've suggested before, I'd be gobsmacked if Canberra, and the Knights, don't both co-exist in the A-League witin 3 years. My own opinion is, they probably didn't want to admit too many franchises in case it was a horrific failure, or even reached NSL standards. Which it hasn't. I'd suspect they'd be reasonably happy with what has transpired, and hence, we'll start seeing a 5 year business action growth plan come into sequence.

All IMO of course, thats how logically I think it will happen.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Canberra weren't admitted as no bid was placed. Capital Football (formerly Soccer Canberra) refused to back a bid as they were burnt financially with the collapse of the Cosmos. I can't see a Canberra team in the near future as there is no backing here for it. Gold Coast would be a better option.

Iafeta

Referee
Raider Ultra, thank you for your post.

As much as it'd be great to have Canberra in there, when they themselves don't lodge an application it makes it a bit tough to punt the Knights for them.

Knightmare

Coach
Raider Ultra said:
Canberra weren't admitted as no bid was placed. Capital Football (formerly Soccer Canberra) refused to back a bid as they were burnt financially with the collapse of the Cosmos. I can't see a Canberra team in the near future as there is no backing here for it. Gold Coast would be a better option.

Gold Coast wouldn't support it. They haven't even supported their own Rugby League teams.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Slightly off topic, perhaps, but watching the Adelaide vs. Sydney game (currently at 2-1 in Adelaide's favour) confirms in my eyes that the A-League has been a huge success. I used to shudder at even the best of NSL games - they were little better than glorified park football on most occasions, but this game is just great. Smooth attack, none of the awful 'rookie' errors that used to marr the NSL, and players you actually give a damn about.

If only the rest of the league could catch up. Central Coast vs. Newcastle on Friday night was just awful, quality wise.

xxxx!

Juniors
perth sharkie said:
The average attendance was just under 11,000, which was more than what the FFA was aiming for at the start of the season (10k average).

This is a good achievement by the A-League, could you imagine what the average attendance would be if the woeful NZ team wasn't included!

I thought the 10k average target was for each team not the league as a whole .
So some teams are under the 10k target .
While the averages are up the aggregate is about the same .
And you can't say we're bettrer off without NZ without aviable replacement .
people point the finger at NZ but at the other side of the nation the other major disappointment is the Glory . Once the flagship of the league and second only to the AFL , now it has slipped to fourth , just in front of the also rans like basketball with their stadium upgrade canned and possibly due to be replaced with a stadium for aussie Rules .

Schillaci

Juniors
xxxx! said:
I thought the 10k average target was for each team not the league as a whole .
So some teams are under the 10k target .
incorrect. it was for the league as a whole.

Bumble

First Grade
CWBush said:
Slightly off topic, perhaps, but watching the Adelaide vs. Sydney game (currently at 2-1 in Adelaide's favour) confirms in my eyes that the A-League has been a huge success. I used to shudder at even the best of NSL games - they were little better than glorified park football on most occasions, but this game is just great. Smooth attack, none of the awful 'rookie' errors that used to marr the NSL, and players you actually give a damn about.

If only the rest of the league could catch up. Central Coast vs. Newcastle on Friday night was just awful, quality wise.

They showed highlights of the JW Cup Final between Blacktown and Sydney United on SBS this afternoon.

The contrast between old NSL teams and the A-League is frightening.

Latest posts