What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A-League a success???

Boing Boing

Juniors
Actually the Blue Devils were cut as they only had half the up front cash amount required, and their ground didn't meet the set out criteria.

Iafeta

Referee
Bumble said:
I agree at the A-League needs to replace NZ with a Canberra team.

I could care less about the state of Kiwi football...apart from that joke of a franchise, the A-League has been very sucessful in it's first year and will only grow.

The ARL really should have cut North Queensland after their first year. They won 2 games, lost 20. Last year they were grand finalists.

The Knights were the last team to build their roster, and it showed. The roster was rushed, and poorly recruited.

As far as the A-League "growing", tapping into another market as is the case with New Zealand is I'd imagine a fundamental growth strategy for the A-League, for its sponsors, for its merchandise, and for its television rights. Rights become a lot more juicier when the product is viewed in multiple countries, or in marketing terms, multiple markets.

Joke of a franchise? Unsuccessful yes. Perhaps has long term gains for not just New Zealand football, but the A-League and its affiliates to ensure the A-League can grow, if the Knights get it right.

skeepe

Immortal
Boing Boing said:
Actually the Blue Devils were cut as they only had half the up front cash amount required, and their ground didn't meet the set out criteria.

Fair enough, I relied on the Canberra Times' version of events.

Pensacola Q.C

Juniors
My brother saw Sydney FC play Adelaide and said it was awesome the level of play was excellent especially Yorke in central midfield. I've never seen an A-league or NSL game so I'm going to get to one as soon as I can.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
the 3 best clashes of the season so far have been Adelaide v Sydney

exciting football, stacks of goals and all the games have been decided in the last 10 minutes.

at least 2 more games to go and hopefully, there will be a grand final

Tyler Durden said:
the 3 best clashes of the season so far have been Adelaide v Sydney

exciting football, stacks of goals and all the games have been decided in the last 10 minutes.

at least 2 more games to go and hopefully, there will be a grand final

When Sydney have had the bigger crowds the games have seemed to be ther better ones.

Tards twice
Barrell Boys twice
Fishermen twice

The rest the crowds have been smaller and the games not that same quality.

Moffo

Referee
compared to the NSL it was a success

Overall though? Hmmm...I personally don't think it has made much impact beyond the soccer diehards

Morenito

Juniors
Two matches ive watched on Fox have been the last 2 Sydney Fc v Adelaide clashes and they have been awesome!!!.

Will definetly be going to the return leg next sunday for my first live match. Tickets on Sale for General Public today

* I hope the Sydney Kings dont have a game 3 of their Semis though as im gonna have to do some scrambling from Aussie to the Ent cent if thats the case.

woodgers

Bench
Moffo said:

Overall though? Hmmm...I personally don't think it has made much impact beyond the soccer diehards

I attribute that to most Aussie's only wanting to jump onto the back of a winner or established item. I think that if you look at the different cultures and ethnic backgrounds in this country who have the game as their number 1 sport, they will support it as it gets better and it will grow from there. Right now the standard is a bit low for them to be too keen but as we go further these people will be attracted to it. For example, Melbourne has a massive greek population, along with Italians, Croatian's..etc. If the Victory do well next year I am positive they will see great crowds and growth in those areas, along with the diehards and then you have a decent crowd. From there your more mainstream Aussie's will want to see what the fuss is about.

It just needs a bit of time really. I am interested to see what the finals crowds are like in the coming weeks, especially in Sydney. I suspect that Adelaide may sell out and the Central Coast will be pretty close to a sell out as well. The structure is there, now it just needs to develop itself over time.

fish eel

Immortal
Iafeta said:
The ARL really should have cut North Queensland after their first year. They won 2 games, lost 20. Last year they were grand finalists.

The Knights were the last team to build their roster, and it showed. The roster was rushed, and poorly recruited.

As far as the A-League "growing", tapping into another market as is the case with New Zealand is I'd imagine a fundamental growth strategy for the A-League, for its sponsors, for its merchandise, and for its television rights. Rights become a lot more juicier when the product is viewed in multiple countries, or in marketing terms, multiple markets.

Joke of a franchise? Unsuccessful yes. Perhaps has long term gains for not just New Zealand football, but the A-League and its affiliates to ensure the A-League can grow, if the Knights get it right.

There's no comparison between the Knights and tjhe Cowboys. Not even between the Knights and Warriors.

Australia has moved onto Asia. NZ are in Oceania, so let them get their own backyard together and not drag down our own league.

We could actually end up with this ridiculous situation: NZ Knights win the A-League, but they dont get to compete in the Asian Champions League, meanwhile a semi-pro club from Auckland is representing Oceania at the World Club Challenge - what a farce that would be.

Its time the A-League was made of of only Australian clubs, so we provide more opportunities for Australian players to develop.

Bumble

First Grade
Iafeta said:

I don't care how good they become, I want them cut because they aren't Australian.

Iafeta

Referee
Bumble said:
I don't care how good they become, I want them cut because they aren't Australian.

Same as the Warriors then?

Are you from the 1840's by any chance?

Similarly people wanted Souths cut from the NRL because they were an on and off field disaster.

Iafeta

Referee
fish eel said:
There's no comparison between the Knights and tjhe Cowboys. Not even between the Knights and Warriors.

Australia has moved onto Asia. NZ are in Oceania, so let them get their own backyard together and not drag down our own league.

We could actually end up with this ridiculous situation: NZ Knights win the A-League, but they dont get to compete in the Asian Champions League, meanwhile a semi-pro club from Auckland is representing Oceania at the World Club Challenge - what a farce that would be.

Its time the A-League was made of of only Australian clubs, so we provide more opportunities for Australian players to develop.

Thats accepted in regards to IF they win the A-League.

Deadset, your comments make it sound like the A-League is as good as the Premier League. Its a competition in its infancy, with promise but with a hell of a long way to go.

How can't the Knights be classed the same as the Cowboys? Both were abysmal in their first seasons due to rank ordinary squads. Both have large geographical catchment areas.

"Its time the A-League was made of of [sic] only Australian clubs", fair enough, how about only Australian players, only Australian coaches and another failed NSL scenario? Lets get rid of Yorke etc, he's not Australian.

If the Knights fall into financial ruin, or within 3 years fail to show any on field ability, then I'd have no problem culling them. I just however don't fall into the category of failing to see the forest for the trees, there are advantages to the Knights being in the A-League which is beneficial to other Australian clubs and raising revenue for bringing in more Australian clubs.

But I guess I can see your point, cobber, fair dinkum digger it should be just be dinky die Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi, we've got to that fair dinkum World Cup thing, we are a fair dinkum soccer superpower, screw the lot of them, we're ranked 83rd in the world now...

Moffo said:

I think you are incorrect.

The Central Coast a case in point. They started with 5,000 crowds and have doubled that over one season.

When did an NSL side get an average crowd over 15,000 a year in Sydney. People that are turning up at Sydney games are people that have come from a league background and are now supporting Sydney as a means of supporting a team during summer. The introduction of these people will continue to see it grow. The game in 5 years will be a very good product and with a good international program will see the Socceroos take over the Wallabies as the nations national football team.

Rugby League will always be Sydney's sport but soccer will make significant inroads into the other codes and Sydney will see league in Winter and Soccer in Summer and all will be well.

Moffo

Referee
Southern Rooster said:
I think you are incorrect.

The Central Coast a case in point. They started with 5,000 crowds and have doubled that over one season.

When did an NSL side get an average crowd over 15,000 a year in Sydney. People that are turning up at Sydney games are people that have come from a league background and are now supporting Sydney as a means of supporting a team during summer. The introduction of these people will continue to see it grow. The game in 5 years will be a very good product and with a good international program will see the Socceroos take over the Wallabies as the nations national football team.

Rugby League will always be Sydney's sport but soccer will make significant inroads into the other codes and Sydney will see league in Winter and Soccer in Summer and all will be well.

I think internationally you are correct, the socceroos will dwarf the wallabies in a couple of years.

SR, you may see this as A-League bashing, but im still not convinced. If they can carry these crowds through year 2 then id call it a success. Still, id contend that there has been minimal impact outside of the soccer family. Look at the media coverage, its been nothing short of non-existent. Does anyone in Sydney know that the finals are starting this week? No one is talking about it....

Tom Shines

First Grade
I disagree with that point.
I think, especially compared to the NSL, media coverage has been brilliant. The Herald devotes a whole page in Friday's sport, and the Tele has the Football Fever liftout. And results are actually given in the news now.

So I media coverage has been substantial.

Bumble

First Grade
Iafeta said:
Same as the Warriors then?

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Warriors being in the comp either. Knowing that spot could be filled by one of the teams that got kicked out like the Bears or Newtown sucks.

Iafeta said:
Similarly people wanted Souths cut from the NRL because they were an on and off field disaster.

That's just hearsay. We were cut because the NRL didn't like us...we did rather well ON THE FIELD in 1999...finishing above some teams such as the Warriors..:oops:

Latest posts