What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A lesser GF?

choc_soldier

Coach
You don't just "stumble" into a GF... you earn it. So no, it's definitely not a lesser grand final. The Tigers and Cowboys definitely deserve their spots, considering that they both beat the overwhelming favourites in their respective matches to get there.

I honestly can't wait until next Sunday. I'll be supporting the Tigers, but will not mind one bit if the Cowboys get up...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The only problem I have with this years final is that I honestly don't mind who wins as they're both great teams with some underdog appeal. Had Parra won ysterday it would've been a great David vs Goliath encounter with all the neutrals rooting for the Tigers, same could've been said if it had been Saints vs NQ.

gallagher

Juniors
Who cares that its teams 4 and 5.
Parra and Saints ended the season on 36, while the tigers and cowboys finished on 32.

Thats only two more wins!!! Forget all the media hype on how 'great' these two clubs are, the fact is that they were only marginally better during the season than wests and the cows.

Absolute cracker of a game coming up.

bazza

Immortal
Yeah - it is usually good if there is one side to hate and one side everyone likes or is a massive underdog. However, we have 2 teams that no one really hates.
Still - when you look back in 5 or 10 years you won't remember what happened in the weeks before. The story will be along the line of underdogs Tigers/Cowboys overcame raging hot favourites St George-Illawarra/Parramatta to claim their first premiership.

Cletus

First Grade
Looking at the way they both played on the weekend, would Parra vs. St George be the worst GF ever?
I think it'll be a great GF, both teams have so much attack it should be very entertaining.

JJ

Immortal
they deserve to be there - Eels and Dragons weren't up to it - for whatever reasons

Kris_man

Bench
Definitely a lesser GF. If you were promoter of the game, you'd be hoping for the two favourites to play each other, or at least the favourite vs. the underdog so you can play the hard luck angle. Two underdogs?? That's about the worst case scenario imo. On top of that, the Tigers, as well all know, caned this sh*t out of the Cowboys three weeks ago. The Cowboys have improved a lil since then, but still, they faced two relatively poor teams.

Mr Saab

Referee
Kris_man said:
Definitely a lesser GF. If you were promoter of the game, you'd be hoping for the two favourites to play each other, or at least the favourite vs. the underdog so you can play the hard luck angle. Two underdogs?? That's about the worst case scenario imo. On top of that, the Tigers, as well all know, caned this sh*t out of the Cowboys three weeks ago. The Cowboys have improved a lil since then, but still, they faced two relatively poor teams.

you are off your rocker.
So what that the cowboys were hammered 2 weeks back.
In 1999 the same thing happened and the storm reversed the result in one of the greatest GFs of all time.
This can be promoted very well and has already with the 2 "fairytale" teams.

Sometimes 2 great teams dont make great GFs. 2004...2001...2000...those GFs were not exactly sensational.

As for your last comment!!! WTF????
They just shut out the minor premiers!! Does that mean nothing? Parra are not exactly as poor team.

I think there will be the feeling that we are not witnessing the 2 best teams in the NRL fight out for the GF, but that is no fault but their own. They had their chance to make the GF. The NRL is not about being the most consistent side for 26 weeks. It is about making the top 8 and performing in the big games in September.

Something both the Eels and Dragons could not do, which both the Tigers and Cowboys could.

I think it will be an exciting game on Saturday but it is a shame that the 2 best sides in the comp couldn't perform when they needed to.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Kris_man said:

:lol:

Kris_man

Bench
What it means is that Parramatta played like sh*t. Hard to argue with that imo.

So what that the Cowboys got smashed three weeks back?! That's not even worth disputing. I think you my friend might be the one off their rocker.

Don't get me wrong though, both teams deserve to be there. I just think the build-up to the game will lack the "clash of the titans" feel, the "game we've all been waiting for". Like you say, that might be compensated for by having two cinderella teams playing each other; but to me that's not nearly as enthralling.

Kris_man

Bench
waltzing Meninga said:
I think there will be the feeling that we are not witnessing the 2 best teams in the NRL fight out for the GF, but that is no fault but their own. They had their chance to make the GF. The NRL is not about being the most consistent side for 26 weeks. It is about making the top 8 and performing in the big games in September.

Something both the Eels and Dragons could not do, which both the Tigers and Cowboys could.

I think it will be an exciting game on Saturday but it is a shame that the 2 best sides in the comp couldn't perform when they needed to.
yep yep, well put.

Mr Saab

Referee
Kris_man said:
What it means is that Parramatta played like sh*t. Hard to argue with that imo.

So what that the Cowboys got smashed three weeks back?! That's not even worth disputing. I think you my friend might be the one off their rocker.

Don't get me wrong though, both teams deserve to be there. I just think the build-up to the game will lack the "clash of the titans" feel, the "game we've all been waiting for". Like you say, that might be compensated for by having two cinderella teams playing each other; but to me that's not nearly as enthralling.

well thats you....and you (like me) dont represent the greater public domain.
This GF will be like no other in history.
Sure they are not the so called "heavy weights" but so what.
If the heavy weights of 2005 were good then they would be there...but they are not there.
You are the one that brought up the thrashing 3 weeks back. I was just saying that that means jack.

Albinomonkey

Juniors
7000 tickets sold out in 40 minutes i heard. i got tickets ages ago and as much as i'd love to offer them to a tigers/cowboys fan, it should be a good match and well worth the price of admission. shame they don't have a 3rd-place playoff though...

Kris_man

Bench
What i meant was that the thrashing means a lot, as it makes it very hard to argue that the teams are equal. Interesting point on the Storm in 1999 though, I wasn't aware that was the case.

innsaneink

Referee
This Grand Final may represent the changing of the guard, and it may represent the way the game is played for the foreseeable future anyway.

Turning point?

A game with more focus on attack rather then D?

Mr Saab

Referee
Kris_man said:
What i meant was that the thrashing means a lot, as it makes it very hard to argue that the teams are equal. Interesting point on the Storm in 1999 though, I wasn't aware that was the case.

well it was the case.
Dragons smashed the storm in week one (3rd vs 6th) and then the storm beat the dragons 3 weeks later.
If 2005 has taught me (us) anything, its that teams recover well after a big hiding.

simon says

First Grade
I reckon an Eels v Parra game would ahve been boring for most fans not aligned to the team mentioned teams,a bit like Roosters v Dogs last year.

You need a side to get behind,I couldnt cheer for eels or parra,same as last year I just watched it as a game....

This year you have two exciting teams that are both underdogs,Im sure everyone has a team they can get behind.

A bloody good result for all IMO.

Latest posts