What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A message from the CEO

Dragsters

First Grade
That we are saddled with and have to manage.

The team selected, the game plan implemented, The freedom and mindset of the Players on Sunday shows their has been a change.

Mary is being managed out. Finally.

Webb has a lot of promise, imo.

I really hope you are right.

I was buoyed to hear of the selection panel implementation and that the retention decision at least had this caveat...

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I really hope you are right.

I was buoyed to hear of the selection panel implementation and that the retention decision at least had this caveat...

It is hope based at the moment. Far too early to tell, but if you have a PR savvy CEO overseeing the building of an excellent football department, then all this shit can go away very quickly.

V’Landys has proven that. Webb is still as Green as Bob Browns Bum, but he looks to know how to get around and what to do. If we are financial, can get transparent and respectful interaction with the members as we have all been crying out for and CHASE SUCCESS, then this club WILL BE the New York Yankees of Australian sport. That has to be our goal.

Webb is a Victorian. He knows how AFL clubs need members to survive and St. George is he ONLY RL Club that has the same reach to its passionate root base as the AFL Clubs. He is also a good friend of my cousin. I told my cousin when he started, its as bad as Richmond in the 80’s ( look it up) only I don’t know if we can come back like the Tiges did.

He will be a Superstar if he can do it, and honestly, with the above stuff in place, it WILL happen. St. George will rise again and be as big and as good ad Richmond (who I also love).

Thats the hope, brother.

Dragsters

First Grade
It is hope based at the moment. Far too early to tell, but if you have a PR savvy CEO overseeing the building of an excellent football department, then all this shit can go away very quickly.

V’Landys has proven that. Webb is still as Green as Bob Browns Bum, but he looks to know how to get around and what to do. If we are financial, can get transparent and respectful interaction with the members as we have all been crying out for and CHASE SUCCESS, then this club WILL BE the New York Yankees of Australian sport. That has to be our goal.

Webb is a Victorian. He knows how AFL clubs need members to survive and St. George is he ONLY RL Club that has the same reach to its passionate root base as the AFL Clubs. He is also a good friend of my cousin. I told my cousin when he started, its as bad as Richmond in the 80’s ( look it up) only I don’t know if we can come back like the Tiges did.

He will be a Superstar if he can do it, and honestly, with the above stuff in place, it WILL happen. St. George will rise again and be as big and as good ad Richmond (who I also love).

Thats the hope, brother.

I really hope your right mate.

Time will tell...

blacksafake

First Grade
‘It starts at the top’: Dragons great lashes Red V executive and offers to help old club
Dragons
simon_brunsdon.jpg

7fb7c394a0176de96244d0c75723e4dd

Dragons greats Dean Young, Ben Hornby, and Matt Cooper.Source: News Limited
St George Illawarra legend Matt Cooper says he’s never been asked to help the Red V players, but he would do it in a heartbeat.

Cooper played 14 seasons for his beloved Red V and won the 2010 grand final with them, being a genuine fan favourite at the club over his career.

He’s now resigned to sitting back and watching the Dragons struggle to win games, having played only three finals games since Paul McGregor took over as coach six years ago.

Cooper - a star Origin quality centre - says he would jump at the chance to work with the playing group if asked.

776583_640x360_large_20200616180549.jpg

'Deep issues' at Dragons

“As a former player, as an outside back, I could see so many errors defensively that the outside backs were doing,” he told NRL Tonight.

“I would have loved to be able to help these young players because that was one of my strong suits as a player, my defence. I would have loved to have been there for these young boys and taught them how to do it right.

“I was working for the club in the community side of things, and it would have been nice to get a tap on the shoulder and say ‘Matt can you help out?’ because I would have done it in a heartbeat.

“I feel for the players, the players are always doing their job and it’s a hard job. I did it for 14 years.”

Cooper is about to embark on a holiday around Australia and so isn’t available this year, but says his phone will be on if the Dragons want to contact him at any stage in the future.

St George Illawarra scored its first win of the season on Sunday against Cronulla, which has helped alleviate some pressure on McGregor and the players.

Cooper says the result will only help to brush over serious issues at the club, but says it’s not the players that need to change.

“It definitely puts wallpaper over some deep cracks. It was good to see the Dragons win for the players, because the players have been putting in every week,” Cooper said.

“But there’s deep issues at the club, and I think it starts at the top.

“You see Brian Johnston take the (CEO) job up for, what was it, six months and then he’s gone. That for me seems to be a problem at the club.

“That’s something that players, coaches, and everyone around the club, they feel that pressure, they feel what’s going on. It effects players and obviously it effects coaches.

“The leadership in the board, we’ve had Peter Doust has left, Brian Johnston has come in and left. I think in between the board there must be a rift, or there’s something happening there.

“When it comes to the coach, what do you do with Mary? He’s been coaching for, what, eight years now? You’re going to have to sack him, pay for a new coach to come in, or do you ride out the season?”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...b/news-story/cb52efc1eaed5143aec9d434533b965f
I hope coops not expecting an invite to the next reunion.:rolling_eyes:

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I think that Saab's problems relate to off field issues but also on field issues such as Mary
banning him from the playing field because he is too young and inexperienced.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I believe that Saab lives around Merrylands with his religious family. Reports say that the
travelling to Wollongong may be an issue and Wests and perhaps Souths the team that his father supports might be preferable teams. South's have good wingers in Johnston and Murray however Wests might be interested.

possm

Coach
Isn't Saab a St George Junior who, a junior Kanagroo and NSW junior Origin player?

Hasn't he been developed by St George up until now?

I say, look no further than harsh words between Saab's father and Millward during contract negotiations. Also look to Saab's non selection in first grade. Ravalawa is no Johston or Murray.

The solutions is to:
  • Upgrade Saab's contract in terms of salary and length of contract.
  • Give Saab a mentor, preferably an ex SOO winger, and have hime drive Saab to and from training.
  • Have our new CEO personally contact/meet with Saab's family to give reassurance that the Club is commetted to act in the best interest of Saab and his fellow team mates.

redv13

Bench
I believe that Saab lives around Merrylands with his religious family. Reports say that the
travelling to Wollongong may be an issue and Wests and perhaps Souths the team that his father supports might be preferable teams. South's have good wingers in Johnston and Murray however Wests might be interested.
I call bull$hit as that didn’t bother him or his manager when he signed the long term contract. Pretty sure he was commuting then too. I’d say his manager has got in his ear and is talking rubbish and unfortunately he has taken the bait. Commute my ass, suck it up princess or go and dig holes for $30 an hour

True_Believer

Juniors
Isn't Saab a St George Junior who, a junior Kanagroo and NSW junior Origin player?

I say, look no further than harsh words between Saab's father and Millward during contract negotiations. Also look to Saab's non selection in first grade. Ravalawa is no Johston or Murray.

The solutions is to:
  • Give Saab a mentor, preferably an ex SOO winger, and have hime drive Saab to and from training.
  • Have our new CEO personally contact/meet with Saab's family to give reassurance that the Club is commetted to act in the best interest of Saab and his fellow team mates.

You come up with some entertaining posts. Farcical, but entertaining.

redv13

Bench

The solutions is to:
No offence possm but point 2 made me laugh so hard that I think I popped some rib cartilage

True_Believer

Juniors
No offence possm but point 2 made me laugh so hard that I think I popped some rib cartilage

Well after all, we need to dig into that never ending bucket of money we've got. In another post apparently we have an individual mentor for each team member. So that's an additional 30 members added to the coaching team. Sounds plausible...

Latest posts