What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A message from the CEO

RedVDave

First Grade
I'll hold off judging just yet let's see how goes with player releases and recruiting for starters.

Then maybe he can make our leagues club interesting again as of right now unless you love gambling it's a sh!thole.

I miss the poker nights and when I was a kid they used to have free movies.

What about stand up comedy? Music gigs? Djs? They need to all visit Penrith leagues club to show them how things should be run. Right now it's just full of false teeth and hearing aids.

getsmarty

Immortal
‘It starts at the top’: Dragons great lashes Red V executive and offers to help old club
Dragons
simon_brunsdon.jpg

7fb7c394a0176de96244d0c75723e4dd

Dragons greats Dean Young, Ben Hornby, and Matt Cooper.Source: News Limited
St George Illawarra legend Matt Cooper says he’s never been asked to help the Red V players, but he would do it in a heartbeat.

Cooper played 14 seasons for his beloved Red V and won the 2010 grand final with them, being a genuine fan favourite at the club over his career.

He’s now resigned to sitting back and watching the Dragons struggle to win games, having played only three finals games since Paul McGregor took over as coach six years ago.

Cooper - a star Origin quality centre - says he would jump at the chance to work with the playing group if asked.

776583_640x360_large_20200616180549.jpg

'Deep issues' at Dragons

“As a former player, as an outside back, I could see so many errors defensively that the outside backs were doing,” he told NRL Tonight.

“I would have loved to be able to help these young players because that was one of my strong suits as a player, my defence. I would have loved to have been there for these young boys and taught them how to do it right.

“I was working for the club in the community side of things, and it would have been nice to get a tap on the shoulder and say ‘Matt can you help out?’ because I would have done it in a heartbeat.

“I feel for the players, the players are always doing their job and it’s a hard job. I did it for 14 years.”

Cooper is about to embark on a holiday around Australia and so isn’t available this year, but says his phone will be on if the Dragons want to contact him at any stage in the future.

St George Illawarra scored its first win of the season on Sunday against Cronulla, which has helped alleviate some pressure on McGregor and the players.

Cooper says the result will only help to brush over serious issues at the club, but says it’s not the players that need to change.

“It definitely puts wallpaper over some deep cracks. It was good to see the Dragons win for the players, because the players have been putting in every week,” Cooper said.

“But there’s deep issues at the club, and I think it starts at the top.

“You see Brian Johnston take the (CEO) job up for, what was it, six months and then he’s gone. That for me seems to be a problem at the club.

“That’s something that players, coaches, and everyone around the club, they feel that pressure, they feel what’s going on. It effects players and obviously it effects coaches.

“The leadership in the board, we’ve had Peter Doust has left, Brian Johnston has come in and left. I think in between the board there must be a rift, or there’s something happening there.

“When it comes to the coach, what do you do with Mary? He’s been coaching for, what, eight years now? You’re going to have to sack him, pay for a new coach to come in, or do you ride out the season?”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...b/news-story/cb52efc1eaed5143aec9d434533b965f

Bench
So the Board is showing it’s loyalty with McIdiot.
How about the clubs loyalty to the fans over the last six years, don’t we count.
His statement is just like always except the date changes
Best of luck getting Saab to change his mind. He will never get a run unless our wingers are injured or dropped, and we know how that goes with SuperCoach.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
‘It starts at the top’: Dragons great lashes Red V executive and offers to help old club
Dragons
simon_brunsdon.jpg

7fb7c394a0176de96244d0c75723e4dd

Dragons greats Dean Young, Ben Hornby, and Matt Cooper.Source: News Limited
St George Illawarra legend Matt Cooper says he’s never been asked to help the Red V players, but he would do it in a heartbeat.

Cooper played 14 seasons for his beloved Red V and won the 2010 grand final with them, being a genuine fan favourite at the club over his career.

He’s now resigned to sitting back and watching the Dragons struggle to win games, having played only three finals games since Paul McGregor took over as coach six years ago.

Cooper - a star Origin quality centre - says he would jump at the chance to work with the playing group if asked.

776583_640x360_large_20200616180549.jpg

'Deep issues' at Dragons

“As a former player, as an outside back, I could see so many errors defensively that the outside backs were doing,” he told NRL Tonight.

“I would have loved to be able to help these young players because that was one of my strong suits as a player, my defence. I would have loved to have been there for these young boys and taught them how to do it right.

“I was working for the club in the community side of things, and it would have been nice to get a tap on the shoulder and say ‘Matt can you help out?’ because I would have done it in a heartbeat.

“I feel for the players, the players are always doing their job and it’s a hard job. I did it for 14 years.”

Cooper is about to embark on a holiday around Australia and so isn’t available this year, but says his phone will be on if the Dragons want to contact him at any stage in the future.

St George Illawarra scored its first win of the season on Sunday against Cronulla, which has helped alleviate some pressure on McGregor and the players.

Cooper says the result will only help to brush over serious issues at the club, but says it’s not the players that need to change.

“It definitely puts wallpaper over some deep cracks. It was good to see the Dragons win for the players, because the players have been putting in every week,” Cooper said.

“But there’s deep issues at the club, and I think it starts at the top.

“You see Brian Johnston take the (CEO) job up for, what was it, six months and then he’s gone. That for me seems to be a problem at the club.

“That’s something that players, coaches, and everyone around the club, they feel that pressure, they feel what’s going on. It effects players and obviously it effects coaches.

“The leadership in the board, we’ve had Peter Doust has left, Brian Johnston has come in and left. I think in between the board there must be a rift, or there’s something happening there.

“When it comes to the coach, what do you do with Mary? He’s been coaching for, what, eight years now? You’re going to have to sack him, pay for a new coach to come in, or do you ride out the season?”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...b/news-story/cb52efc1eaed5143aec9d434533b965f

so...cooper, one of our greatest centres can see issues with our defence on the edges.

meanwhile, our coach is also one of our greatest centres.

yet our edge defence continues to make the same errors week in and week out.

What does that tell you about the coaching?

Old Timer

Coach
so...cooper, one of our greatest centres can see issues with our defence on the edges.

meanwhile, our coach is also one of our greatest centres.

yet our edge defence continues to make the same errors week in and week out.

What does that tell you about the coaching?
Coops scored 1 try every 2 matches
Mc Humptydumpty 1 try every 3 matches

Coops 7 tests
Mc Humptydumpty 3 tests

Coops 244 club games
Mc Humptydumpty 158 club games

Cooos debuted at 21
Mc Humptydumpty debuted at 23

Mc Gregor would say circa

Well I think the older you are when you debut the better. If the young blokes were any good they would have kept me out and I would never have played a game

Well Coops was really just a winger that was forced to play centres where I was always a centre.

Well I carried the Steelers on my back all those years where Coops had a dream run with quality players around him to make him look good.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Red V Membership

With the announcement of crowds returning to stadiums from July 1, we are looking forward to having our Red V members return to games in the second half of the 2020 season.

Members will receive an email this Wednesday outlining the club's membership resolution options in the light of the COVID-19 interrupted season.

Thank you to all Red V members for your patience while the club worked through the various options in the face of the ever-changing government guidelines.
Dear Willow,

As we march towards 20 years of Red V Membership in 2021 one thing remains true – the unwavering support of our dedicated members is truly the lifeblood of our proud club. With you in our number we are able to forge ahead through the toughest times.

Your patience and understanding since the season was suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic has allowed us the necessary time to arrange what we believe to be the best outcome for you, our valued members. We are pleased to now provide you with further information regarding your ticketed membership(s).

Ticketed members will have the opportunity to select their preferred resolution to their 2020 membership from the following two options:

RED V IS A PART OF ME
Make the ultimate vow to the Red V by supporting your club with 100% of your 2020 membership fee.

Members who select this option will receive:
  • The opportunity to attend 2020 Dragons home games free of charge by entry in a member ballot. This opportunity is exclusive only to members who select the 'Red V is a Part of Me' option.
  • 20% discount on 2021 membership renewal
  • Recognition on the Red V 'Banner of Honour' to be displayed in players’ tunnel or home dressing shed at 2020 home games
  • Recognition on the 'Part of Me' Members jersey to be worn by players at the 2021 Charity Shield (conditions apply)
  • The opportunity to pre-order the 'Part of Me' members jersey
  • The opportunity to win a signed, player-worn 'Part of Me' members jersey
  • Retention of same allocated member seat in 2021, if renewed prior to the same seat renewal deadline
  • Retention of consecutive membership tenure and associated benefits
  • Retention of Dragons Team Store member discount
MARCH ON TO 2021
Convert your 2020 membership to a non-ticketed membership and credit the unused portion of your 2020 membership fee to your 2021 membership renewal.

Members who select this option will:
  • Not be permitted entry free of charge to 2020 Dragons home games
  • Receive priority access to purchase tickets via a members only pre-sale, should tickets be available to purchase for 2020 Dragons home games
  • Retain the ability to renew into their same allocated member seat in season 2021, if renewed prior to the same seat renewal deadline
  • Retain consecutive membership tenure and associated benefits
  • Retain their Dragons Team Store member discount
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
You will be required to inform us of your chosen resolution for the membership packages purchased on your order by no later than COB (5pm) Tuesday, 30 June, 2020 by completing our online form.

If you do not choose a resolution by that time, you will default to the “Red V is a Part of Me” option, where you consent to the St George Illawarra Dragons retaining 100% of your 2020 membership fee.

Members must select ONE preference which is applicable to ALL ticketed members and membership packages listed on their order. It is not possible to select different preferences in the instance where an order contains multiple individual ticketed members and/or packages.

If your order contains membership packages for multiple ticketed individuals, please ensure you discuss these options with these members prior to submitting your preference on behalf of all listed on your order.

Please ensure your read and understand our Red V Membership & COVID-19 Terms & Conditions before responding.
MEMBERS ON PART PAYMENT
If your membership order was purchased by the part payment method, you will be required to recommence your payment plan on Friday, July 17 2020 and finalise all payments prior to 2021 renewal. All payments relating to 2020 memberships must be finalised by the same seat renewal deadline (date to be advised) to be eligible to receive your 20% discount or the credit.

NEED MORE INFORMATION?
For more information, including information about game access and how we calculate credits, visit our website and view our Red V Membership & COVID-19 Terms & Conditions.

On behalf of the players and staff of the St George Illawarra Dragons we sincerely thank you for your continued loyalty and commitment as a Red V Member.
Your Red V Membership Team

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I do not envy this bloke coming into an environment that is clearly too stubborn to change. Part of me likes to think he is doing his best to find the balance between old and new, and I do appreciate him doing stuff like this message to fans, and his personal responses to fan emails in recent months.

Not perfect of course but I'm just trying to find the positives in this shambles of a club

Agree.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Andrew Gordon is still hiding behind his rookie CEO- gutless wonder. Contrast him to Bulldogs Chair Lynne Anderson- front and centre with the Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill when announcing the signing of Luke Thompson.

Breaking down the code, the message from Webb seems to be

We have a coach who we publicly support because we stuffed up and extended him but privately would love to get rid of. We have the money but it would cost too much to pay him out and the Gordons didn't get rich by being generous. Meanwhile, we have built a selection and coaching team around the Head Coach to ensure that his incompetence has minimal impact on the team until such time as its cost effective to get rid of him.

Have a nice day
Ryan

The Rookie is showing him up already. He does this well and he could be a star, young Ryan.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I'll hold off judging just yet let's see how goes with player releases and recruiting for starters.

Then maybe he can make our leagues club interesting again as of right now unless you love gambling it's a sh!thole.

I miss the poker nights and when I was a kid they used to have free movies.

What about stand up comedy? Music gigs? Djs? They need to all visit Penrith leagues club to show them how things should be run. Right now it's just full of false teeth and hearing aids.

Blue Rinse Storm

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
A decision based on loyalty between Andrew Gordon and his mate McGregor.

A totally unacceptable and unprofessional pretense...

That we are saddled with and have to manage.

The team selected, the game plan implemented, The freedom and mindset of the Players on Sunday shows their has been a change.

Mary is being managed out. Finally.

Webb has a lot of promise, imo.