What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A positive spin on our current situation

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
I take the example of Melbourne. At the end of last year they lost Orford, Bell and Kearns. Possibly their 3 best players, definately in their top 5. To my knowledge they hardly signed anyone and definately no big names and depended on their core group and realtively unknown players like Inglis (unknown to many last year),Jake Webster and Cooper Cronk stepping up. They are now leading the comp and premiership favourites in a lot of people eyes. Can we be the Melbourne of 2007

We have kept a good core group and Hayne or Inu is hopefully our Inglis.
By the way I still think we will sign a couple of big name players, but if not hopefully a number of depth players like Melbourne have.

Just wanted to try and cheer people up. Deep down I am feeling very worried as well

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
The difference is Melbourne had some of RL's brightest prospects and a coach who could bring the best out in his players. Not to mention Bellamy had slowly brought on the likes of Inglis and Cronk so they had experience but not too much FG to their name.

Our brightest prospects are all backs, we need fowards and unless recruitment is stepped up soon then there is nothing positive heading our way in 2007.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
We also have some of leagues brightest prospects as well as players who should be in their prime. Prospects are T Smith, B Smith, Hayne, Inu, Green, Reddy, Tsoulous, Cordoba, Taia and Lowrie. Players hitting their prime or should be are Hindy, Fuifui, Tahu, Grothe, Riddell, PJ and possibly blokes like Robinson and Cayless. Definately a squad you can build around.

Our coach is the unknown factor. We will have to wait and see. I have to keep my chin(s) up

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
so we should be leading the table by this time next year

sounds good to me

strider

Post Whore
good post :clap:

I think melbourne have done great with a few top quality guys and the rest being nobodies who have stood up to be counted ..... and I agree we should be able to do the same sort of thing with the players we DO have.

I still think our current squad (those who are staying) could turn things around if they had their heads screwed on straight each match - I just think we need a decent forward signing to bolster the pack ... and that Plum guy from the Roosters would be a great acquisition - he could play the Ian Hindy role well.

yy_cheng

Coach
Yeah, I would like the Plum guy over the price for Nat Myles

Cement (Gillespe) says he has an awesome tackling technique. I wish we had a hitman (not fui but coz too many suspensions already).

Where is Peter Johnston's son?

I am confident with our Juniors. The likes of Cordoba, Hurakai, Oake, INU, Taia, Green are all stars of the Future. Im confident that all these Guys will step up. They are quality.

Im not too worried about Signings.... I was more worried about losing our talented Juniors ... the ones listed above because I know what they can. If Mateo re-signs we have our lock next year!! I know he can do it.

Freak2

Juniors
In the overall scheme of things I don't think we can be dissappointed.
First of all, the majority of big name signings off contract this year were always going to go to a new franchise with an open cheque book.
Secondly, for the last couple of seasons we have produced the finest crop of youngsters in the NRL. The Prems results speak for themselves. We have retained the top shelf in this group and have started to develop them into first graders.
And finally we have kept our best forwards (barring Morro who will be a loss, but his back is ratsh*t and his long term jepardy was not super)

Yes we need one key front rower, but I am not convinced that Aaron Cannings is not that man. He has been plagued by injuries and if we ever see him anywhere near 100% I dare say some people will have to eat their words.

Yes we have lost depth but so has every other team with the inception of a 16th franchise. The key to our long term jepardy is in the continued development of our juniors and it is my opinion that we set the benchmark in this area of the game!!

Bring on 2007 I say, but let's finish off 2006 in style!!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Actually...You know what? Disregard my post.

Whilst they are my opinions on the matter, I realise this was an attempt at a positive thread.

My bad.

Eelementary

Post Whore
spiderdan said:
hagan rates our young players and has faith in them.

a number of them are in his plans for our side.

I hope you're right! Because everything I keep hearing is that Hagan never chooses juniors unless he HAS to...

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eelementary said:
I hope you're right! Because everything I keep hearing is that Hagan never chooses juniors unless he HAS to...

you've only got to have a glimpse at our squad so far next year? Inu, Hauraki, Cordoba, Hayne, the 2 Keatings and Green will all come into our top 25 and replacing the more seasoned players who are going to other clubs. They obviously hope to add to that squad with a further 2 or 3 players but you don't have to be einstein to work out that Hagan intends or be forced to use those players next season.

Eelementary

Post Whore
True.

I just have a couple of mates who are Knights fans, and the're trying to tell me stories about how shocking Hagan is.

You have no idea how much crap they've given me about us signing Lowrie!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eelementary said:
True.

I just have a couple of mates who are Knights fans, and the're trying to tell me stories about how shocking Hagan is.

You have no idea how much crap they've given me about us signing Lowrie!

yeah, I'm sure they've got great footballing brains :roll:

Eelementary

Post Whore
:lol:

I'm just concerned he'll turn out to be a dud that Hagan will persist on sticking with, is all.